FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Utah fly fishing
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:55 am 
FFIMer

Does anyone have any advice on fly fishing Utah? I have an opportunity to head to Utah to ski. That would typically mean Feb or March. However, I'm wondering about going later and doing a ski/fish trip, say April. Trying to weigh the qualitative values of Feb/March and Utah champagne powder, or spring skiing, more like eastern skiing but good fishing as a bonus. Assuming the fishing is good that time of year. The safe bet of course is hit the legendary Pow and forgo fishing. Any insight/thoughts are appreciated! I'd home base in the Park City area.

Post subject: Re: Utah fly fishing
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:13 pm 
FFIM Addict

The Green River is very popular in April, perhaps one of the best times to fish it. Depending on the location you select for skiing the Green might be a good choice.

Look for the Green in the eastern portion of the state up toward Wyoming. You want to find Flaming gorge reservoir and Dutch John as your target. The Green is a dam release out of Flaming Gorge.

The most direct route out of SLC goes right through Park City. Bear in mind that April is very popular and places to stay out there are limited so don't delay. Good place to stay is Flaming Gorge Lodge.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:01 pm 
FFIM Addict

Yup- the Green below Flaming Gorge (and above in the reservoir) can be REALLY good in April. I fished it over Easter weekend a few years back. When the clouds rolled in and the rain/snow started the river would literally boil with fish rising to emerging baetis. When the sun returned (along with most anglers), the fishing shut down until the next squall. Easily the best dry fly fishing I've experienced. With that said- the wade accessible reach is short. Drift boats open a lot of water through the canyon though.

There's a ton of other water in Utah as well, both on the Green (e.g., Fontenelle) and elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:49 am 
FFIM-aholic

I can't help on Utah fishing info, but I am jealous! Last time I snowboarded Utah was at Snowbird, over a foot of fresh. Still the best day of riding I have ever experienced.
I like your idea of ski and fish too. Next door in CO, there are two great choices in Aspen/frying pan-roaring fork and also Crested Butte/Taylor river.
Good luck in Utah though and would love to see a report here!
Ps- my choice would be to go for the powder first, but you might not hit a good storm cycle so it's kind of a crap shoot. Tough thing about planning a western ski trip.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:44 pm 
FFIM Addict

The Provo River isn't far from Park City. I can't imagine that in the area around any of the ski areas you wouldn't find water. Legally open to fish may be a different find. Although with the way winter fishing has caught on I imagine with a map and some research you should be able to combine the two.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:18 pm 
FFIMer

If you can get on the Green River you will not regret it!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:41 am 
FFIMer

Thank you for the information and suggestions gents, really appreciate it! I'm torn. Go for the straight legendary Utah pow trip (ummm, it's raining even in western Maine today) or do a FFO/ski trip (you won't regret a trip on the Green River"). If I do the ski/fish I'll post a trip report.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:30 am 
FFIM Addict

The Green looks to be about 2 hr. from Park City and 3 from Alta, Snowbird, etc.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:33 am 
FFIM-aholic

Have you considered NW Colorado ( i.e.- Steamboat)? There is a lot of really good "spring" fishing in Steamboat along with some phenomenal skiing. Even in February, I would ski in the morning and fish in the afternoon until Happy Hour, rinse, repeat...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:44 am 
FFIM Addict

1weight wrote:
The Green looks to be about 2 hr. from Park City and 3 from Alta, Snowbird, etc.

And 4.5 hours from Steamboat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:47 am 
FFIM-aholic

How flexible is your schedule? If you are leaning toward the powder, I would recommend following the weather closely and pull the trigger when you can hit it a few days following a good storm cycle. Those big storms which roll into California tend to bury the Wasatch and they are usually forecasted up to a week out.
If you're there during stormy weather, the potential may seem great but chances are you won't be able to access the best terrain because it will be closed for control work. If you go too late after, chances are good the best snow will be tore up. Keep in mind how many people travel to Utah to ski, in addition to the local crowds. True great days are a challenge to obtain when you're traveling from away.
The trout, on the other hand, I would think are a far more consistent target and unless you are battling runoff you should be fine.
Several years back, my partner and I spent the whole month of February driving around the Rockies from Banff, Canada through Montana, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado, snowboarding different mtns all the way. In all that time, the only great untracked powder we found was one day at Snowbowl outside of Missoula, MT, One day at Snowbird in UT, and one day at Arapahoe Basin in CO. Everything else was tore up/packed.
Not to derail your thread, but I have my eye on Crested Butte and the Taylor right now, with a REALLY itchy trigger finger. Something like 6 feet has fallen there in the last 10 days. They had to close down at 1 pm two days ago because of too much snow. Two days later, it looks like most of the upper mountain is still closed for control work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:14 pm 
FFIM Addict

I've done many spring trips to the Green -- weather is a crapshoot and sometimes the fishing is too. I had the most humbling fishing of my life on last year's trip -- skunk bit me hard -- when I finally rose a fish, I promptly broke it off. Cute. You can actually wade access pretty much the entire northern bank of the river if you're willing to walk... but the fishing is better on the other side.

You can go super early and get lucky with weather and dumb fish but not see as much for hatches, or you can go later and be pretty much assured experiencing fishing armageddon, as in thousands of large rising trout rising to million of bugs and hundreds of flailing fishermen trying to fool those fish. There were way more fishermen out there early in the year last year than I'd seen in the past....

You can catch fish on dries on the Green pretty much every day of the year, so it's not such a bad idea to go for the skiing in March, and then go fishing if the weather is too nice. It's worth it just to see all of the fish. So many fish. Such clear water.

As for some of the other places mentioned for skiing/fishing, I think they are all great ideas in theory, but in practice most of my efforts to double up have been mixed at best. If you're lucky, this is what happens for you: You arrive. The next day it dumps snow. And you have great skiing. And it snows again overnight and the next day you ski a bluebird powder day after your cloudy powder day. On day 3, you get another warm sunny day and you go fish instead of ski. At some point, if the weather is too nice, the low snow melts (valley melt) and the river turns brown and unfishable... At Steamboat, I have still not caught a fish in the late winter/spring, but man have I had some great skiing. The best day of my life, they literally reported 5 inches and at the top it was over the boots at 9 AM and over the knees and up to the thighs by the afternoon. My sister and her boyfriend happened to be visiting from Maine that day and they are ruined for life.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:10 am 
FFIMer

"Spring skiing" out west happens in May and June. 8) March and April bring full on powder days. Remember: elevation. :)

BWO's on the Green can start mid to late March and run into early May. Trying to hit/time both powder and dries is like multi tasking. You'll probably end up not doing either very well. But YOU might live a clean life and be rewarded. :lol:

Also key to remember that ski areas are on leased land from the BLM or Forest Service. MOST of those leases have the ski areas shut down by the second week in April. So check the resorts' closing dates.

My wife was in Crested Butte this week for an Avy refresher course. They did a lot of class work and when they did go outside it was to a ball field. Level 5 :shock: danger in the backcountry so no risks were taken. They learned how to dig snow caves, build litters with their skis, etc. Like she said, even if they got to dig a pit on a slope what was it going to tell them; it's too f^%***& unstable to go anywhere. :lol:

I'm driving to SLC next week to see come clients then skiing at Sundance for the first time on Thurs. Fri is still open for discussion. Ah, the riches we have out here. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:11 pm 
FFIMer

Wow, just wow. What a different world you are describing from my dear Ol Sugarloaf and Rangeley area. Wow. I need to get out there. Thank you guys for the incredible information. It's information overload at this point, but it's all very helpful and from everything I'm hearing, it's a land of tremendous riches and while you may not nail every aspect of a trip, if you like all that is outdoors, you will come home smiling and with your tank empty.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:16 pm 
FFIMer

I'll let you know how it is from a Sugarloafer's perspective, I'm headed to Park City tomorrow and plan on skiing Snowbird, Alta and Park City.