It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fly fishing from a kayak
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:16 pm 
FFIMer

My family shocked (floored) me this weekend when I was presented with an LLBean Manatee Deluxe fishing kayak for my birthday. Great folk.
I'm now thinking...ponds, estuaries, and more ponds. Any kayakers on here with any tips to share?

Post subject: Re: Fly fishing from a kayak
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:34 pm 
FFIMer

maineangler wrote:
My family shocked (floored) me this weekend when I was presented with an LLBean Manatee Deluxe fishing kayak for my birthday. Great folk.
I'm now thinking...ponds, estuaries, and more ponds. Any kayakers on here with any tips to share?

An anchor is a must. Without one is any little breeze or current will push you around put you out of position and frustrate you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:57 am 
FFIMer

I got the manatee delux for Christmas about 5 years ago, and it should come with an anchor. First and only kayak I've ever owned, and there are no restrictions to where I take it--I'm in Cape Cod right now using it in the bay for stripers, and I know it's not an ocean kayak but it performs fine for my needs. The only criticism I have is that the scotty rod holder mount is at the front of the very large cockpit, so you have to lean forward quite a bit to access it, so it's important to keep your balance, especially when you're trolling and you get that huge hit and want to lunge for the rod to set the hook. I haven't had any problems or tips to date but I'll knock on wood to that. It's a great, and light, little kayak, you'll have a blast with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:15 pm 
FFIMer

Well,
it's a great excuse to get a 9' 6wt. :P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:15 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks for the scoop, Reno. You're right on two counts - the kayak comes with an anchor (still waiting for it to arrive at the store) and the Scotty rod holder mount IS quite far forward. I don't plan to use the boat for trolling much if at all. Casting to rising fish on ponds and slow stretches of rivers is my main focus now, as well as getting into the estuaries and around the inner islands of Casco Bay. What's your experience humping the thing around? It seems light but obviously bulky...are you taking it into any remote areas?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:27 pm 
FFIMer

Thats one hell of a birthday gift you got there Jon, Im sure you will give it a work out. One of these days we will have to float that streach of slow water with the cliffs near your house with it and my float tube.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:55 am 
FFIMer

Unfortunately I don't have any remote pond experience with it, so far I've only used it in southern Maine lakes, ponds, and Casco Bay estuaries, with the exception of a week at the Cape every summer. I've usually put in at boat launches, beaches, or other open areas. Having said that, the lightness and open cockpit of the kayak make it easy to carry on your shoulder so I would imagine taking it into remote areas wouldn't be difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:30 pm 
FFIMer

Reno wrote:
I'm in Cape Cod right now using it in the bay for stripers, and I know it's not an ocean kayak but it performs fine for my needs.

Whoa, Reno. Watch out down there!
http://www.rr.com/news/galleryeditorspi ... 1430833%2F

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:12 pm 
FFIMer

I have an Old Town Predator and love it. Tricky fly casting from water level, tales a bit getting used to at first. BUT, you can land in just about any spot and cast from shore, rocks, gravel bars, etc., places boats can't get to. Mine came with an anchor, but kayak anchors are pretty useless in big fast water like Bingham etc. When you tie on the side cleat it twists you sideways, sometimes dangerously so. I just installed a rear anchor roller and love it. Keeps me straight, and with the bigger anchor, I can hold the line even in big water like the Kennebec. Enjoy. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:49 am 
FFIMer

Paint HELP on the bottom just in case :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:26 am 
FFIMer

Nice cjg, positive feedback for a new kayak owner, real nice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:17 pm 
FFIMer

Split Shot wrote:
Nice cjg, positive feedback for a new kayak owner, real nice.

Really. I would think he could tell it was a joke even if it went over your head.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:59 pm 
FFIMer

My suggestion is to keep things on the deck to a minimum. The fewer things around the less you have to deal with fly line hang ups. Make a stripping basket from a dish tub and some tie wraps...keeps things sorted out...Avoid mesh...it is designed to catch hooks and make for a miserable day. I am not sure what the handle on the bow looks like, but if it is attached to a pad eye, and you can thread it off, then attach the handle to a clip, then clip it to the pad eye. Then after launching you can stow your handle and keep it out of the way of the fly when it is dragged across your bow for one reason or another.

Ill throw in a picture of my ride- Hobie Mirage Revolution:
(thumbnails click image for larger version)

FFO configuration

Cruising/photograph configuration

just before a night time launch:

My Blog:
http://www.unclebenoutdoors.blogspot.com

My Shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Goldeneyelures

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:07 pm 
FFIMer

Jon....that's the kayak I mentioned my wife and I have....we've been tring it out on the Andro around Brunswick and love it......just be sure to take your wife's fish off prior to paddling past the island just below the put-in :P

Great meeting you this week....hope to see you this fall or next spring on the Kennebago! You're one heck of a fly caster and I'm glad I'm now home and can recuperate....kinda like Don Lynch.

https://www.facebook.com/kennebagoguide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWa3Vl3LC7Y (Kennebago 2013 recap)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:01 pm 
FFIMer

Bill,
In regards to my casting, you are far too kind. :) Great to meet you as well, that is a first-class operation you are running up there in "god's country". Glad your teaching me the Duncan loop didn't result in your finger being impaled by my hare's ear...better it was saved for the jaw of that nice Salmon you put me on... :mrgreen:
Begarb,
Nice setup there. Thanks for the tips. fished out of it on a lake and caught a bunch of chubs...casting wasn't bad.