It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Late post - but a post regardless!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:27 pm 
FFIMer

Got out last Friday and headed to Pine Point. Was there on incoming tide around 5:30. Scattered showers led to some wet fishing - but it's all about dressing properly. My kayak took me to various points (over 5 miles total paddling) and never saw any fish actively feeding. Hmmm, really thought I'd see some activity. Did see some birds, but those that dive (black ones) actually caused bait to rise and feed the terns! No fish underneath pushing them.

Weird, so I figured I'd just fish the obvious spots. Those turned out to be undercuts of river banks. The fly of choice was the crease fly. Stripped it back and it caused enough commotion on the surface to get their attention. Not too long and I had a 24" on and pulling my kayak around - hey who needs drag on a reel! He had good shoulders and pulled me around a bit. As he tired, I pulled him in, snapped a picture, a quick measurement and back into the water. I held it by the belly while it caught its breath. In a few seconds, a quick flap of its broad paddle tail and off it went. Wow that felt good.

Not long after I had another on - and then off nearly as quickly. I worked for a while longer and managed a swirl right behind my fly! Alright, maybe I'm starting to figure this out. Well, the wind picked up and I couldn't manage my boat and also fish - so I decided to call it a successful outing and headed in. Went later that day to the fresh water and managed a brookie - so it was a good day all around!

Here's my fish - sorry about the pasty legs!!

Post subject: Re: Late post - but a post regardless!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:30 am 
FFIMer

nice healthy fish what fly did you get it on?