It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A couple of observations, musings, etc.....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:54 am 
FFIM Addict

about "things".

First of all: Kudos to Stone River Outfitters (ne: Hunters) in New Hampshire. I was tying up one of JoelA's favorite flies yesterday, called Hickey's Automatic Emerger (in PMD colors).....when I inexplicably ran out of Tiemco 2457 (scud) hooks. I always buy hooks in 100 ct packs; so seldom run out....but for whatever reason I did. A quick call to Stone River; and I figure I get the hooks Tuesday or Wednsday. Nope...they showed up in my mailbox TODAY......less than 24 hours later. Now *that's* the kind of service that gets a Kudo from me. Thanks (publicly) Stone River.

Observation #2.: WE all get very used to doing ffing things our way (usually referred to as the "best" way, in my case.... :oops: :shock: :lol:

I rigged up a new line (5 wt Rio LT) on my Abel Creek reel for a trip this week because I just didn't like the way my new Sage One 5 wt reacted to the Rio Grand I had on that reel. I felt the Grand (in actuality a 5 and a 1/2 wt line) just overpowered the tip of the rod. Fair enough......

I always rig up all my flyline/leader butt connections with Whitlock "blind splices"....aka the Superglue Connection. No mess; no fuss; no hanging up in the tip-top. In order to do that splice correctly you really need green label Zap-A-Gap (the pink label stuff being too watery). I had run out of green label Zap.....so just tried regular Gorilla Glue CA.......no dice. It just wouldn't hold........so I had to rig up that line with a regular old 7 turn nail knot connection to the outside of the flyline. Arrahhhhhhh.........it hung up in the tip top *every* time I caught a trout......and I had to put the rod butt down and manually grab the leader and pull it through the tip top. What a pain.......

THat order this morning contained a bottle of Zap-A-Gap (I should have bought stock in that stuff)....so now I'm waiting for the Zap to set; and I'l re-tioe that knoted leader for a trip West in less than two weeks.......and I'll definitely have my leader butt spliceing kit with me in case anybody else on the trip wants me to rig them up with blind splices......just a wonderful connector.

I had used "Lefty's Loops" for years before someone (no name-dropping here) convinced me that this connection really IS the better choice. I'm convinced (more so than ever after this last trip) that it is the best sub-7 wt connection. Bigger than 7 I use a Needle/nail knot for the added strength.....and coat it liberally with Pliobond.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: A couple of observations, musings, etc.....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:13 pm 
FFIMer

Dave M wrote:
I was tying up one of JoelA's favorite flies yesterday, called Hickey's Automatic Emerger (in PMD colors).....

I've been very happy with this fly since I learned to tie it in Joel's class this winter. Stopped by Bean's earlier in the week to pick up some root beer crystal flash since I've been tying them with copper flash and the employee on the floor, a self-described nymph and emerger "nut", wasn't familiar with it. We rifled through the bins and the only thing I saw somewhat similiar was the z-wing caddis pupa. It was one of his favorites and he implored me to use it. Any thoughts on the Z-wing?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:45 pm 
FFIM Addict

maineangler wrote:
Dave M wrote:
I was tying up one of JoelA's favorite flies yesterday, called Hickey's Automatic Emerger (in PMD colors).....

. Any thoughts on the Z-wing?

Sure...the Z wing Caddis is another excellent fly...but the body doesn't look at all like the Auto Emerger.

Dave M

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:37 pm 
FFIMer

Dave M wrote:
I was tying up one of JoelA's favorite flies yesterday, called Hickey's Automatic Emerger (in PMD colors)

The PMD Hickey's AE is pure gold, in both appearance and fish catching ability. It has pretty much become my go to fly. I was in the mountains today, fishing light cane and dries for brookies. BTW, thanks to whoever tied up those Ausable Wulffs and Bombers with the Fran Betters cinnamon Austrailian opossum dubbing for the Conclave. Both patterns accounted for numerous trout earlier in the day. Twice today I came across really pools that didn't produce as expected with the dry. Twice I changed to a dead drifted PMD AE, and twice I was rewarded with a big (comparatively speaking) brookie.

I tied up a fresh batch of AE in both PMD and BWO flavors just this week, with a few LaFontaine's Sparkle Emergers thrown in for good measure. Give me this container of flies, throw in a few Improved Sparkle Duns, show me a trout river, and I'll catch you a trout!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:30 am 

OK ...I use a 5 turn nail knot covered with super glue and have never had a problem.
For flies - get a woolly bugger and a (Maine) deer hair caddis and you're set.
Next question?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:02 am 
FFIMer

First of all: I owe my house keeping lady a huge thank you! You wouldn't believe it.... It almost never ever happens to me, but today I ran out of toilet paper, well almost ran out thankfully. See I always use Cottenelle wet wipes. Well wouldn't you have it, I plopped my overweight and out of shape fanny on the toilet to do business, did the business, and reached for my cottenelle wet wipes and..... crap!!!! Low and behold I am out of wet wipes! This almost never happens to me.... see I buy this stuff by the case! So I thought crap, I looked all around and thank god I found one roll of tp tucked in the corner of the sink cabinet, except it was the plain jane, old fashioned, rough ass Scott toilet tissue! Arrahhhhhhh.......... that stuff is rough on your fanny!! Well thankfully the Scott got the job done! I swear though.... who uses that stuff. I always use the wet wipes and not just any wet wipes. It has to be the green label wet wipes. The hell with the blue package. The green is so much more pleasant with Aloe and E! No mess, no fuss, nothing hanging up, it all comes out clean and easily!

I had used the Scott tissue for years before someone(no name dropping either) convinced me that the wet wipes really ARE a better choice!! So thank you(publicly) cleaning lady for restocking my wet wipes!!!! Hows that for service!

Observation #2.: I got so used to doing business with the wet wipes(the "BEST" way in my case...... :oops: :shock: :D )that I forgot how much more Scott tissue that I have to use to get the job done! The toilet was clogged........CRAP!! Now I have a raw fanny from the lesser Scott tissue and a clogged toilet, even worse though was that my brand NEW 24" clorox toilet plunger(with splashguard.....aka the effin fancy one) was no where to be seen!! Luckily I had a old 8" standard plunger under the cabinet too. Thank god because I thought I was gonna have to manually grab the tissue and get the toilet unclogged!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: At first I tried the regular 8" model and no dice.... it just wouldn't work, but with a little extra elbow grease she was clean as a whistle! :D

So thank you house keeping lady for restocking my wet wipes and picking up a new and improved plunger!!

Sometimes I know better but am still too young to care and should probably just put my foot in my mouth. This may be one of those times!!!! Ahh who cares.... only managed one salmon tonight on a hex hatch that never materialized like it did two nights ago. Didn't beat the thunderstorm off the lake and got poured on loading the boat on the trailer. Had a flat tire on the trailer on the way home got it changed in a jiffy luckily but tire is shredded, and then when I checked ffim on my phone on the way home I was rewarded with this lovely post and couldn't resist! My apologies in advance :D

Brian

Ps... those AE's are looking pretty good! Even a lousy fishbum like myself should be able to stick a fish or two with those!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:51 am 
FFIMer

Now That...is funny. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:55 pm 
FFIM Addict

bdonaghy wrote:
First of all: I owe my house keeping lady a huge thank you! You wouldn't believe it.... It almost never ever happens to me, but today I ran out of toilet paper, well almost ran out thankfully. See I always use Cottenelle wet wipes. Well wouldn't you have it, I plopped my overweight and out of shape fanny on the toilet to do business, did the business, and reached for my cottenelle wet wipes and..... crap!!!! Low and behold I am out of wet wipes! This almost never happens to me.... see I buy this stuff by the case! So I thought crap, I looked all around and thank god I found one roll of tp tucked in the corner of the sink cabinet, except it was the plain jane, old fashioned, rough ass Scott toilet tissue! Arrahhhhhhh.......... that stuff is rough on your fanny!! Well thankfully the Scott got the job done! I swear though.... who uses that stuff. I always use the wet wipes and not just any wet wipes. It has to be the green label wet wipes. The hell with the blue package. The green is so much more pleasant with Aloe and E! No mess, no fuss, nothing hanging up, it all comes out clean and easily!

I had used the Scott tissue for years before someone(no name dropping either) convinced me that the wet wipes really ARE a better choice!! So thank you(publicly) cleaning lady for restocking my wet wipes!!!! Hows that for service!

Observation #2.: I got so used to doing business with the wet wipes(the "BEST" way in my case...... :oops: :shock: :D )that I forgot how much more Scott tissue that I have to use to get the job done! The toilet was clogged........CRAP!! Now I have a raw fanny from the lesser Scott tissue and a clogged toilet, even worse though was that my brand NEW 24" clorox toilet plunger(with splashguard.....aka the effin fancy one) was no where to be seen!! Luckily I had a old 8" standard plunger under the cabinet too. Thank god because I thought I was gonna have to manually grab the tissue and get the toilet unclogged!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: At first I tried the regular 8" model and no dice.... it just wouldn't work, but with a little extra elbow grease she was clean as a whistle! :D

So thank you house keeping lady for restocking my wet wipes and picking up a new and improved plunger!!

Sometimes I know better but am still too young to care and should probably just put my foot in my mouth. This may be one of those times!!!! Ahh who cares.... only managed one salmon tonight on a hex hatch that never materialized like it did two nights ago. Didn't beat the thunderstorm off the lake and got poured on loading the boat on the trailer. Had a flat tire on the trailer on the way home got it changed in a jiffy luckily but tire is shredded, and then when I checked ffim on my phone on the way home I was rewarded with this lovely post and couldn't resist! My apologies in advance :D

Brian

Ps... those AE's are looking pretty good! Even a lousy fishbum like myself should be able to stick a fish or two with those!!!

:lol: :lol: You should invest in a bidet dude.

What was the payoff for more time fishing with hiring a cleaning lady? I need to run these numbers.....

Heading up to Moosehead in the morn. Hoping the thunder boomers are limited. I can't, I repeat can't, go through with what happened up there last week with the rain and surf. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:16 pm 
FFIMer

Last weekend was a doozy for you Jeremy!!! I didn't hear all the details, but it didn't sound fun! Best of luck for tmrw, so far weather should be good!! I will most likely be on a FFO pond up in that area somewhere tmrw :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:13 pm 
FFIM-aholic

geez Brian that was such an awe inspiring post it just took my breath away. you can write a mean sh-t story.
don

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:56 am 
FFIMer

Just Imagine the fish story Don!!.... which reminds me we need to get together soon and fish! I'll give you a call

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:26 am 
FFIMer

Bdonaghy, Thanks for that post, my thoughts exactly. I'm still laughing, I like the ones in the blue box. clean Machine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:45 am 
FFIM Addict

What might the recipe be for that Hickey AE. I know a river that that would do pretty well. Thanks.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:20 pm 
FFIMer

1weight wrote:
What might the recipe be for that Hickey AE. I know a river that that would do pretty well. Thanks.

Ron

Check your PM, Ron.

joel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:54 pm 
FFIM Addict

Thank you x2

Ron

Sir John Buchan