It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New style nymph rig?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:02 pm 
FFIMer

Found this up in a tree, apparently a new style of nymphing rig. Note the oversized indicator and sparsely dressed hook, using only a synthetic body material. This was all on about 20' of very heavy level leader. :roll:

Seriously - this was on some local CRO/ALO water. I guess this is legal, but somehow I doubt the angler's intent to release (especially since it was at a spot where I usually find empty worm containers. An improvement?)

Attachments:
rig.jpg
rig.jpg [ 69.55 KiB | Viewed 853 times ]

Post subject: Re: New style nymph rig?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:43 pm 
FFIM Addict

That shows how there has to be some type of restriction on hooks in CRO waters. Not that someone using a rig like that wouldn't use the "it was hooked pretty bad and would have died anyway" excuse to keep a fish. And they didn't even trim their knot tag.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 pm 
FFIMer

The "Folk" that developed this half baked rig are more of a threat to and of themselves and apparently trees then the fish.

I've seen these rigs before.They're often concocted by "Folk" that have never been fishing,or had done very little up to this point,and thus so have none, or a very limited intimate knowledge base for angler riggings/wares.What they need is angling help,a video,a book,a buddy,and with a desire to learn it proper.

This angler had fashioned a traditional worming/nymph rig from using what they had on hand.They'd also used an artificial worm immitation.They'd abided by the law.

This angler is either a beginner,an orphan or, one that has taken a very horizontal approach towards the sport.But not a criminal.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:25 pm 
FFIMer

Is that a gummy worm? Did you try a bite? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:15 am 
FFIMer

As 1weight indicated, i am shocked that a treble is legal on ALO water. In NH, i think the general rule for ALO is a single hook. Or course, i could be mistake, it's been a while since I threw anything that could even support a treble.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:21 pm 
FFIMer

"In NH, i think the general rule for ALO is a single hook."

As counter-intuitive as it may seem.Trebles in the eyes of the law,are considered as single hooks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:17 pm 
FFIMer

Trebles are, indeed, "single" hooks in the eyes of the law, but an artificial lure may have two or more of these (at least in Maine - not sure about NH, as TGIF pointed out.)

IMHO, CRO water should be a single, single-point hook, preferably barbless. Not necessarily FFO, but certainly terminal gear that's easy on the fish. With some (at least occasional) enforcement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:53 pm 
FFIMer

"IMHO, CRO water should be a single, single-point hook, preferably barbless. Not necessarily FFO, but certainly terminal gear that's easy on the fish. With some (at least occasional) enforcement."

If the science tells us that CRO is the best route.Then I'd agree that a single point rig would be the more consistent approach,being just this side of its full closure.I do disagree with the "occasional enforcement".That a water deemed necessary for such strict regulations.That enforcement need be ever present and heavy handed to be most consistent.To the heart of it,overall per angler catch rates should be strongly considered as well, if not taking priority.Limiting the anglers catch is the number one way of reducing angler induced mortality.

Not all waters in Maine that are regulated under ALO, allow for the use of multi-trebled artificial lures.Some are single hook only as with certain stretches of the Kennebec.