It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eel Madness
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:53 am 
FFIMer

Ok - I'm officially fed up with Maine's stance on Elvers. The population is on the brink worldwide, yet the state is actually fighting against federal protection. I don't understand how 400 something people who have licenses are influential enough that the state maintains this stance. Seems to me Maine should be leading the charge to protect the species (read the article below, Keliher said he is "concerned" that the feds will protect the eels).

Now the Passamaquoddy tribe is piling on:
http://bangordailynews.com/2012/05/09/b ... per-pound/

Am I the only one that gets angry about this every spring? Is there something I am missing on this topic that explains why the eels should continue to be fished?

Post subject: Re: Eel Madness
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:39 am 
FFIMer

j

I totally agree,,, and most likely they will be listed down the road, often to late and making for a expensive recovery efforts..... I too was taken back by Pats comments knowing his past as a striper guide and time working on atlantic salmon issues, you know he has a understanding for the cost of pushing resources to far,,, maybe it is a political pro biz theory that is pushed down from his boss????

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:02 am 
FFIMer

At $3000.00 a pound the market ain't going away guys. As long as there is a demand for elvers the fishing will continue. i started bitching about the elver guys a long time ago,but nobody listens. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:26 pm 
FFIMer

I would think if CCA (yes I am a member) or other groups ganged up on Keliher our voice would be much louder than the 408 guys that make all the millions.... Eric, I agree - it surprises me Keliher leans that way. For example, at the CCA banquet he was championing the fact that they had a 2 strikes ruke against poachers and I was thinking: What? Shouldn't there just be an immediate revocation of license if they break the rules? Just an example.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:42 pm 
FFIM Addict

aren't the number of permits limited?

if the tribe just tossed out a bunch more permits, doesn't that now put the state over their threshold for permits?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:36 pm 
FFIMer

The tribe has the right to take an additional set above the state standard that they have never used. Keliher was clear that is was within their right, but it clearly made him unhappy about the extra scrutiny the decision will put on DMR.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:11 pm 
FFIMer

No state official (read bureaucrat) wants the Fed's to list a species. This translates into loss of control and many other perceived regulatory mandates. Remember King Angus and his absolute resistance to the AS listing? I think it's time for the Maine tribes to live by the same rules as the rest of us. Enough of the special treatment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:49 pm 
FFIMer

The tribe can pretty much do what it wants which I don't agree with, they also started to get on the wagon with sucker and scallop permits for economic benefit. I don't know about the population of Elvers or much about them, but I wish I had a permit I know that. One month of work and I would have a house bought and paid for. I know one guy that made 300k. He was paying somebody $500 a night just to sit and watch his net so nobody screwed with it and thats no lie or stretch of the truth. I also heard of two guys that made a million a piece!! It won't last don't worry anytime the state or feds hear about somebody making that kind of money they will change the regs so it isn't happening. If elvers actually needed protection I would be all for it, but I would want to see some hard evidence and facts first and I don't tend to put my faith in NMFS. I worked as a observer for five years on groundfish boats, both gillnet and trawl, and scallop boats from Maine to Virginia collecting data for them and let me tell you their science isn't that good!! Most of the regs nowadays make zero sense based on what I saw first hand and the data I was turing in.
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:34 pm 
FFIMer

Hi Brian -

I am also not an expert on Elvers, but with regard to data they are different from your standard groundfish: we know very little about them - and they are an extremely unique fish. It is generally concensus that numbers have been plumeting for the last 20 years - but the eels are known to be resilient so the question is: Are the declines reversible (i.e. just a long downturn trend that will recover eventually)? From all I've read, we don't know.

In these situations I tend to prefer conservative fishing protection until we can be certain the species is not at risk. In this case I would think dams and other barriers are the real root cause of the decline, not necessarily overfishing, but the short term protection the rest of the country has put in place seems reasonable.

By the way - thanks for the fresh scallops a few weeks ago at CFR! Incredible.

jks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:06 am 
FFIMer

I don't want to see the eels go down the crapper but as said the little guy starts making some money and they want to shut it down. When they wasn't worth anything they didn't say a word total hog wash i think. Id have to see some sort of evidence showing big decline. As with many things they run in cycles and mother nature can take many at sea. I know alot of eel fisherman and several eel trappers over the years. I acctually felt the numbers of eel in some bodies of water had increased tremendously. I know they clean my bait traps and have been dumping more then i used to. Eels are a extremely tough critter that can survive amazing obstacles. I just can not help but think alot of the whining is just plan jealousy because they can't get a liscence. Evidence and cold hard facts is what i like to go on not somones half guessed thoughts. Brian they was paying a min of 200 a night around here and just shy of a million was the best i heard of. This was agreat boost for a sad economy and i hope these people continue to have good years. That price on eels helped us all around here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:34 pm 
FFIMer

I,m calling BS. all to preserve a local fishing economy in decline because of past overexploitation????