It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking lodging recommendations for a Rapid River trip ---
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:52 pm 
FFIMer

Hi to all,

My brother, nephew, and I are planning a trip to the Rapid in late July (only time that our respective work schedules will align). Online I have noticed 2 - 3 local lodging locations from elegant to much more humble. So not to disparage any lodging owner's business, if you please can send to me your personal recommendations where to stay via my FFIM email service, that will be great and thank you! :?:

Otherwise, we will use barbless hooks (thanks to another FFIM topic!) and cast to the woods all smallmouth bass caught (unless they're big enough to grill).

QUESTION: Does anyone have any particular fly recommendations to use on the Rapid at this summer visit time?

Thanks to all and have a great, safe, fly fishing season!

I fish because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful. Trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience. - Robert Traver 1964

Post subject: Re: Seeking lodging recommendations for a Rapid River trip -
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:06 am 
FFIMer

For all the time i've spent on that river, i can't say i've ever fished that that late in the season. At that point the water is generally warm enough that I choose to leave the natives alone. That said, Lakewood and Aldro's camp are both nice. I hear Lakewood has great food, which is indicated by how late their guests arrive on the river and how early they head back in for dinner :)

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:19 pm 
FFIMer

Many thanks, FFIMer! Yes, I'm a tad reluctant to fish that late in July, too, but sometimes you've got to cater to family (they're from away). Thanks for the good advice, though. Worst case, we'll help cull some of the smallmouth bass out of the Rapid.

I fish because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful. Trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience. - Robert Traver 1964

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:49 pm 
FFIMer

Hi there,

Please check out http://www.merrillhouse.com and for reviews from other families and an availability calendar see http://www.vacationhomerentals.com/34720.

It's a family friendly place that sleeps 20+ (thinking you might want to bring family in addition to your brother, nephew and you) in the summer with good (walk-in) access to the Rapid (both Middle- and Lower-Dam) as well as the region in general, from the Magalloway and Upper Dam to Kennebago to Rangeley, boating on the Richardson lakes, kayaking and fishing the Androscoggin River, both in ME and in NH, and lots of little waters in between. It's located in Andover, a really nice, small old-New England town, and reasonably close to Bethel too, if you want to take in some of their attractions.

I've fished pretty much the whole region in every season (except when I'd rather be skiing), and can assure you the fishing is fine in the summer!

I'm biased as it's a family business, but it is truly one of the best locations for accessing the Western Maine mountains region, and is one of the best family vacation spots I know.

Thanks for asking (and giving me this opportunity to submit this plug)!

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:01 pm 
FFIM Addict

Prior to your trip you might enjoy reading "We took to the Woods" by Louise Dickerson Rich. It tells a story about living year round on the Rapid in the 30's and 40's. Be sure to visit her Winter and Summer house high on the hill above lower dam. Aldo French has a nice little fly shop there. He also offers lodging I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:12 pm 
FFIMer

Thank you, Nick, and we definitely will check out your recommendation! Dang, FFIM is a terrific resource for help!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

I can personally attest to Merrill House being an absolutely SPECTACULAR spot. If it at all could work out for you -- do it. You won't be disappointed!!!

-Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:45 pm 
FFIMer

Thank you, Dan, for your encouragement! It's a beautiful looking place. Question to Nick: Is the $1,000/night (July rates) per person or for the whole house?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:32 am 
FFIM-aholic

1000 a night!!! We must be paying Dan too Much :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:24 am 
FFIMer

Hi there IRBF,

Yup, $1000/night gets you the whole place. 15 very well appointed bedrooms (25 beds), 5 full & 2 half baths. 2 kitchens. A Great Hall that truly is one, and a few other sitting rooms and a master dining room. Plus expansive grounds and a trout pond, and a little river running through it (the Ellis) w/ wild and stocked trout too. The valley has some wonderful outdoor attractions, including the Appalachian Trail at the beginning of the 100 mile wilderness, many swimming (and fishing) holes, and terrific hikes.

Honestly, the current rates are a deal, and will likely go up in coming years!

The history of the place is pretty amazing too. For starters, Ezekial Merrill was the first homesteading settler to move to the valley (in 1792), and there are wonderful stories of homesteading and participating in the growth of that region and the country. Ezekial's grandson, Henry Varnum Poor, was a founding member and President of the Parmachenee Club, among other accomplishments.

If I could, I'd live there, but we're very happy to make it available for families and events in order to be able to preserve it.

Regards,

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:28 am 
FFIMer

K. I. Joe wrote:
1000 a night!!! We must be paying Dan too Much :D :D :D

Danno gets a discount for entertainment value. Ask him about Ruffed Grouse attacks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:49 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks, Nick, for clarifying the pricing. Yes, it is a gorgeous place. Since it's only 3 for my trip, an average of $333/pppn (per person per night) is a tad too high for our budget. But, heck, if 15 crazy anglers got together for a combined trip, the pppn rate is terrific ...$66.67/pppn!

Best wishes to all and thanks again for everyone's posts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:56 pm 
FFIMer

You got that right (the 15 crazy anglers part)...

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:35 pm 
FFIMer

They start the rafting releases on the weekends in July, the fishing will be ok on Monday and progressively get worse. We fished it a bunch of times last year late July and that's what we found. Get on the water early in the AM.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:25 pm 
FFIMer

Sage advice. Thank you CJG!