FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 22nd, 2017, 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 27th, 2011, 5:10 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Dave Huntress or Hunter as he is known on the board. I first met Dave when he was still a professional student about 7 or so years ago. He has been a repeat CFR guide and someone that I have come to respect. He knows he stuff...fishing or anything that happens around the water and fish so don't try arguing with him if you don't know yours. This knowledge probably comes from him being a professional student but we were all so proud of Dave when he got a real job a few years back. Meet all round good guy...Dave Huntress....

Tell us a little about yourself
Born in Maine into a family of hunter/gatherer types, my first memories of fishing are to willing stocked brook trout on the same stream where my father caught his first trout. To a little fellow- that stream, flowing through abandoned farm country and failed 18th century grist mill operations, seemed like a roiling river full of adventure. A small, hydropower operation built in the 1960s on the headwaters of the stream to power a now defunct dairy farm has since partially failed, washing out a road culvert multiple times, filling in many of the pools we used to fish. After a stint at the University of Michigan College of Engineering, and time spent garner a masters degree from the University of Maine specializing in aquatic chemistry, I lucked out finding a job combining work with play and now spend a good amount of my time working on aquatic habitat restoration and barrier removal projects (both in Maine and beyond). At some point in my career, I hope to be able to revisit that stream and sort out some of the issues impacting the stream's coldwater fishery.

What do you consider your home stream?
Pretty much any small to medium sized freestone steam holding brook trout, but one in particular. It's a bit of a hike to get into, even if traveling by water to cover the first few miles. But, at certain times of the year the prospecting for small to medium sized stream brook trout can be some of the best in the state. Pretty much any spot a few inches deeper than the surrounding water with any kind of cover or feeding lane will hold a trout from 4" to 14". Fish it going upstream until you run out of cigars and the blackflies start driving you mad and you'll have gone about 2.5 miles, and released more trout than you'll likely catch over the remainder of the season.

What's your favorite fly?
Tough call, as I rotate through a half dozen flies fairly regularly if fishing for landlocks and brook trout. But, given my luck fishing Atlantic salmon on the Mirimachi earlier this year- my current favorite is referred to as the Peaches. Clippings from spun deer hair abound on my tying desk these days.

Red Sox or Yankees?
Red Sox, even when they don't make the playoffs.

Brook Trout or Salmon?
Both. Choosing between a colored-up brook trout or a hard-fighting salmon is just too hard of a decision. <Lately brook trout have been getting the better of my days in the field, at least those not spent chasing carp>

What's your most memorable fishing experience?
Margaree river, October 2008. Frost was thick on the yellowed sugar maple leaves. While swinging a blue Humber Charm through the top end of a pool from a shingle using a borrowed spey rod, I hooked my first real Atlantic salmon- a 12 lb hen with spots the size of quarters. After a decent fight, she was tailed and sent to continue on her journey. A neighboring party of fishermen watched the battle and release and walked up with a congratulatory nip from a flask of rum priced well above the normal bankers affordable range. A lesson in proper salmon fishing ettiquette and the equality among men that salmon rivers impart on all who are lucky enough to wet a line.

How did you come to find FFIM?
Circa 1996, about 11:30 at night while sitting on the 2nd floor of the University of Michigan's engineering library procrastinating over a problem set on in-situ bioremediation care of the good Prof. Semrau, I did a search for fly fishing options in Maine for after school got out. After a bit of time spent lurking, I ended up attending the Moosehead conclave at Casey's and have been a regular more or less since.

Given your choice, would you rather spend a day fishing with Don Lynch or a night with Halle Barry?
That depends on whether or not there's room for Don's walker in the truck. If not, Halle. If there is- there's no body finer to share a stream with than Don Lynch.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2011, 7:46 am 
FFIM Addict

I've fished with Hunter several times now. Damn fine company; and an excellent fisherman. His "GLS Special" Caddis larva is a special pattern.

Dave M

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 9:01 am 
FFIM-aholic

Ken - did you just call him "round"?!? :wink:

Great guy to share a beer or/and a pool with! Always interesting to get his perspective on things; as Ken said - he knows his stuff. Our paths don't croos often but, when they do, it's always a good time. Looking forward to 2012 (GULP) CFR day already - hope you're joining us again Dave!

PostPosted: October 4th, 2011, 9:12 am 
FFIM Addict

I believe he did call me round. :| But no worries- sooner or later we'll get to roast the oldest guy in FFIM management. :twisted:

I'll be at CFR again this year, provided my sport doesn't cancel two days before the event again. Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2011, 8:21 am 
FFIM-aholic

Will the real Yukon Cornelius please stand up?

When tossing about odd-ball fishing theories with some of the fishing/beer crew, I often preface the theory with the phrase "Dave thinks"... Strangely enough, he thinks correctly quite frequently.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2011, 9:27 pm 
FFIMer

I thought the preface was always "Hunter (Dave) has a theory.........." followed by "he always has a theory."

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."