FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 21st, 2017, 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 15th, 2011, 7:01 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Jeff Reardon.

I don't know Jeff all that well but know him well enough to tell you that he is very passionate about Maine's brook trout! He's gotta be considering his job but I think his love for Maine and it's rivers goes well beyond employment. Much like Dan Daly, he's a big guy who speaks quietly because he knows his stuff. He could certainly overwhelm most of us with his knowledge about this sport we call flyfishing but he prefers to share it with anyone who asks in a very humble way. I'm glad that he's an active participate here on FFIM and now I'd like for you all to get to know him a little better. Meet Jeff Reardon...

Tell us a little about yourself.
I was born in Vermont 2 days after my parents graduated from UVM, and spent my first 5 years as an Army brat while my dad paid back hit ROTC service. Fortunately for me, he left the Army when I was young, as there are few trout near Army helicopter bases. We moved to Maine when I was about 10, and I grew up in Cape Elizabeth. I left Maine for college and a few years afterwards, but came back around 1993 and have been home ever since. I work for Trout Unlimited and live in Manchester with my wife Dee Dee.

What do you consider your home stream?
I caught my first trout on a fly in Nesowadnehunk Stream in Baxter State Park around 1978. I’d say that stream, and the ponds in the SW corner of the Park are as close to home water as I have. I still fish them every year. I also used to spend way more time than was healthy on the Sheepscot, but do that less now that I live a little further away. Higgins Beach is a homewater, too. I grew up fishing bluefish there during the big pogy runs that brought the bluefish in to shore, and spent a lot of time chasing stripers there in the mid-late 90’s.

What's your favorite fly?
Muddler minnow, in many configurations. I caught my first brookie on one I bought with my allowance money from The Surplus Store in Portland (if you remember Percy’s Flies, you are an old fart like me). My current favorite has a wood duck wing and an orange head.

Red Sox or Yankees?
Red Sox. My dad grew up in Connecticut right on the Sox/Yankees dividing line. He liked the Red Sox, mostly to piss off my grandfather and his brothers. I tried in my youth to like the Yankees just to get him back for that, but I couldn’t do it—the Billy Martin/Steinbrenner mess made them awful hard to like. By the time of Bucky Bleeping Dent I was back in Red Sox Nation, and that homer sealed the deal.

Brook Trout or Salmon?
Brook Trout. I love salmon fishing, but it’s brookies that get me excited.

What's your most memorable fishing experience?
Strangely enough, it was a salmon. I was fishing emergers in the head of Little Eddy pool on the West Branch, and had found a pod of small fish sipping along a foam line. I took several fish out of that pocket—a couple of salmon and a brookie, none of them over 10 inches. I was about to quit and look for bigger fish, but threw in one last sloppy cast. A much larger fish sucked in my fly and simply took off. It jumped once halfway across the river, then hit a big tongue of current and headed downstream. It jumped again near the tail of the Eddy, by which time I was well into my backing, then left the pool into the rapids downstream and broke me off. I have no idea how large it was, but it was certainly the largest salmon I’ve ever hooked. Mid 20’s for sure, and maybe quite a bit larger. With a five weight and 6X, I didn’t have a chance once it hit the fast water below me.

How did you come to find FFIM?
I think I was one of the early members—it may be that Terry Walsh mentioned the site to me, or me to him. I used to work an overnight shift at a residential high school, and would need to stay awake late at night to make sure my students weren’t up to mischief (or at least to have some idea what mischief they were up to). Those long evenings left me time to peruse the posts for info to fish when my shift was done. I’ve been here ever since.

Given your choice would you rather spend a day fishing with Don Lynch or a night with Halle Barry?
I’m a happily married man. I’m allowed to look at Halle Berry and even make a few comments, but on my nights away I better be fishing. Sorry, Don, you’re stuck with me!

PostPosted: August 15th, 2011, 7:40 pm 
FFIM Addict

Must say Jeff is a super personable guy. Easy to talk to and very passionate about the resource and sport. He also ties some excellent flies.
Jeff,
I was hoping your favorite would be a caddis emerger that was in a box of flies I won at the first West Branch Conclave. It's olive with a cdc wing and dark head on a curved hook. I'm looking for the recipe.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: August 15th, 2011, 8:21 pm 

Ron,

I said a muddler is my favorite, not the goto fly . . . . .

That little emerger is dead simple:

Light wire curved shank short hook. I like a TMC 2487.
Body is an olive CDC feather tied in at the tip, twisted into a "dubbing" rope, and wound forward. When you tie it in, don't trap all the CDC fibers--let some of the short ones trail around the body and make it "fuzzy".

Wing is 2 dun cdc feathers.

Head is brown dubbing.

Add an antron trailing shuck if you like.

Works great as a caddis emerger, and in smaller sizes is very effective in BWO hatches, too. I carry a box of them from size 14 down to 22.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 12:05 am 
FFIM Addict

Interesting -- one of my most vivid fishing memories is almost the same as yours, Jeff. Similar spot, similar sort of fly, similar fish doing similar stuff -- probably not as big, but up into the 20s. It ran almost right to the head of Little Eddy, jumped, then turned and ran down to the tongue and broke off. It was a huge deal at the time for me, because I'd been fishing that river (and that spot) through my late teens as I developed as a flyfisher, and that was the first day I'd actually cracked the fish and had any luck at all there.

In any case, thanks for chiming in around here regularly -- I could certainly stand it if you shared even more. Like when I went hunting for that report on the impacts of pike on native trout in the event of installing fish passage on the Piscataquis and I found you on the list of authors.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 8:11 am 
FFIMer

Jeff is an awesome guy and we are lucky to have him on our and the brookies side.

Wouldn't have met him without the TU connection, and always learn something new and valuable when we get together.

Steve

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 8:59 am 
FFIMer

The man of the hour.

Sorry Jeff.....couldn't resist one more time (but not necessarily the last time). :)

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 9:37 am 

Neal, I was afraid of that. Almost declined Ken's invitation in order to avoid another "exposure" of that photo. By the way, who was it who leaked that photo to you? I thought it was just an old girlfriend who kept those. Can someone forward it to Halle Berry, in case Don Lynch isn't that interested?

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 6:27 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Holy Crap that's funny!

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 6:36 pm 
FFIM Addict

(Village People application photo?)

Good series of threads here...

1978-first trout, about the same as me- only I was in college soon after, not 4 th grade.

Hutch

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 6:54 pm 
FFIM Addict

Gee Hutch you just made me feel old. Not as old as Don, but still old.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 8:07 pm 
FFIMer

Quote:
By the way, who was it who leaked that photo to you? I thought it was just an old girlfriend who kept those.

No.....she has the videos.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 8:54 am 
FFIMer

My old fishing buddy, Jeff, in the spotlight! I've been friends with Jeff for more years than both of us care to remember. As long as I have known him he has been an articulate and passionate advocate for healthy trout habitat in Maine. He was one of the founding members of the Georges River chapter of TU, a reincarnation of the old Ducktrap chapter which was pretty much inactive, GRTU is now a vibrant and active chapter with over 120 members. Jeff was also a leading force in the removal of the Hills Mills Dam on the St. George which transformed the river into wonderful mid-coast oasis for trout fishermen. It was no surprise to me when Charles Gauvin tapped Jeff to lead Trout Unlimited's conservation effort in the Northeast. We are lucky to have him.

That's the official side of Jeff, the other side is of course, the flyfishing side. Jeff is a lot of fun to fish with, when he is not falling down, that is. I think he and Dan Daly lead the pack in horizontal flyfishing techniques. This is a skill Jeff maintains not only on land, but also on watercraft. We fished together for many years all over the great state on Maine but my favorite times were on the "old" Sheepscot, fishing until way after dark, sometimes four or five nights a week. i don't run into Jeff that much anymore, but it's always great to see him. Terry

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 12:46 pm 

I've only ever been in one canoe that flipped, and Terry was in the bow at the time. Just saying . . . . .

As for the Sheepscot--it's gone forever. Nobody should fish there. And if you see a set of size 15 bootprints, assume it was someone looking for fiddleheads or woodducks. No trout down there at all anymore . . . . . . .

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 12:56 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jeff Reardon wrote:
I've only ever been in one canoe that flipped, . . . .

Below the island at Shawmut? IIRC you came up soaking wet...and covered with Mayflies?

Dave M

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 1:49 pm 

No, Dave, I believe that one was tripping over a rock while wading. :lol: