FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 24th, 2017, 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 2:30 pm 
FFIMer

Quote:
I've only ever been in one canoe that flipped, . . .

Hmmmmmm. Little Eddy ring a bell?

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 3:47 pm 

No, that Little Eddy incident was not a flipped canoe, but one that broke in half on a rock. This is a subtle yet very important difference . . . . .

I think it is now time for me to obey the first rule of holes--when in one, quit digging. :wink:

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 6:57 pm 
FFIM Addict

"No, Dave, I believe that one was tripping over a rock while wading"

Besides finding shoes that must be another pitfall of making size 15 footprints.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: September 4th, 2011, 5:47 pm 
FFIMer

Really- what can you say about Jeff? I almost would say a tireless advocate for trout except for the fact that he obviously can tire, having fallen asleep at the wheel in that accident coming back from yet another meeting. We almost lost one of the most committed conservationists in the state on that one. Jeff is one of those people whose command of the specifics and facts when it comes to the nitty gritty of conservation and fish passage issues, just impresses the hell out of me. I'm more of a macro guy when it comes to issues; Jeff is that and then some! His contributions to the work of TU in Maine are too long to even attempt to list.
As for any propensity to overturning canoes I can only say I have been around him and canoes only once. A bunch of us were going to do a survey of the St. George by canoe. I had an old Old Town and Jeff suggested he be in the rear. I am never in the bow, especially in my own canoe. I can be stubborn that way. That was a mistake. Picture a canoe going downriver weighted in front [Jeff is even heavier then I am] with a right brained, somewhat dyslexic, artist saying "go right," when I meant left, and vice versa. Jeff actually turned around and yelled, "which way do you mean!" Despite that, not once did we turn over! We even had the good sense not to try and run, and portage instead, a drop that overturned Richard Procopio and I think it was Terry Walsh.
Amazingly enough we have never fished together, something that is long overdue. We've certainly spent a lot of time together on TU business. The stripers seem to have abandoned their old haunts up this way. I know he knows southern Maine places - hint, hint...............