FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 22nd, 2017, 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: July '11 - Steve Lacroix
PostPosted: July 21st, 2011, 10:00 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Steve Lacroix or KI Joe as he's know on the FFIM board. Steve's an active participant of the baord and our many fundraising projects. he's the guy responsible for working with Old town the last two years to get the yak and canoe donations. I don't know Steve all to well but will hopefully get to spend a day with him this Fall as he was the winner of one of our raffles a year ago and I owe him a day of fishing! Meet KI Joe...

Tell us a little about yourself.A little about myself, Well I was born in Rhode Island but was always a Mainer or an Alaskan at heart. Started fishing when I was just a little guy and moved on to Fly Fishing in my teens, dropping it for a while and picking it back up about 8 Years ago now. I am 46 years old and have a wonderful wife and Daughter who is just about the age to start fly fishing. Boy am I excited to teach her all I know, should take about 2 hours. I live in Williamsburg, Maine, I can here you now, where the heck is Williamsburg, Maine. Williamsburg is unorganized territory west of Brownville, and about the best place in the world to live according to me. I work as a Safety/Quality Technician for Old Town Canoe and couldn't ask for a better job up in this area of Maine. Well, maybe a fly fishing Guide if I could get the benefits. I love Salmon and Brookies, but also Hunt Ducks, Moose, Deer, and anything else that I can get my hands on. I have been hanging out on this forum for a few years now and I must say that there are a great group of people here and I have had the pleasure of meeting some and without exception they have been top notch people who I would always share a pool with.

What do you consider your home stream?
That is a tough Question for me because I get bored easy and like to fish different waters. I would have to say that it is a toss up between the West Branch of the Penobscot or the East Outlet. The EO has produced more big fish for me and I am rarely skunked there. There is always room to fish and the ride up is nice. The West Branch produces smaller fish for me but is closer and I really like the rugged character of the area.

What's your favorite fly?
Now that's a tough question, early spring I am a Mitchell Creek or Black Ghost Streamer man, later in the year when the bugs start hatching I like to fish drys and there is one that I wont mention that I really like. Mike Holt might remember if you really need to know, but I like to fish Grass hopper patterns on ponds because of the vicious strikes that you get. Try it and see for yourself, it is unreal. For Nymphs and I am just starting to get into that aspect of fishing, I like the little red fly whose last name rhymes with Assey, ooops, can I say that on here LOL

Red Sox or Yankees?
Red Sox or Yankees, those who know me know I don't like sports at all. I would rather be out fishing than watching any team out there so I guess I would have to say neither. If someone had a knife to my throat and said that I could never go fishing again unless I chose one I would have to choose the Sox because my dad loved them.

Brook Trout or Salmon?
Yes!!! I could never choose, Brookies were my favorite when I was a little kid but those salmon grow big and they fight like heck. I cant chose, sorry.

What's your most memorable fishing experience?
My most memorable in recent history is at GLS when I first started fishing nymphs. I was fishing in a secret spot at GLS that no one but me and forty thousand other fishermen know about when I spotted a nice salmon feeding in a run. I would watch him come up a few inches and grab a nymph and then right back down again, over and over this happened and I thought well this is going to be easy. It was one of those rare days at GLS when I was fishing without another sole in sight. Everything was perfect including my first cast, and my second, third, twenty-ninth. About an hour later after changing flies at least a dozen times he rose and took my offering and the fight was on. Massive jumps and runs and no one to see me, Dam, it was the only time I have ever fished GLS and wanted more company. I landed him and he taped out at 23", my personal best on a fly. I held him in my hands until he was fully revived and watched him swim away only to be grabbed by a snapping turtle and eaten, no just jokin on the last part. He swam away and I went home a happy man that day.

How did you come to find FFIM?
I believe that I typed in Maine Fly fishing or something like that. I started to lurk and read the posts all the while thinking that I wouldn't post and then I started posting and haven't turned back. For those that might have thought like me, that the people on this site are all experts and that you would feel uncomfortable around them I have fished with Don Lynch and can say that he is not an expert!!! Just Kiddin Don. Seriously, this site has some of the best fly fisherman and fisherwoman and they are always willing to teach and learn from one another and that is what I love about this forum. I have met some really top notch people here and I encourage others to go to the Conclave and try to fish with some of these guys. It really is a great community.

Given your choice would you rather spend a day fishing with Don Lynch or a night with Halle Barry?
Oh I have been waiting for this question, I even went out and asked the MRS. what she thought of this one and she said that I would be crazy to chose Don Lynch, so I sat and pondered about fishing with Don, He is a top notch character and it certainly would be a good time. Out on a stream, fly rod in hand, eagles soaring over head, you get the picture right? Then there is Halle, not just Halle but Halle Berry, so I sat once again and pondered what a night would be like with Halle Berry. Hmmmmm, well it would probably start off with some fine dining and maybe some dancing and a couple of three drinks, chatting and laughing, maybe go back to her place for a night cap, the lights down low, low music on the radio, I could slip back and cuddle, it is late, maybe we should retire to the bedroom............Sorry Don but you get the picture!! LOL

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2011, 9:30 am 
FFIM Addict

:lol: :lol: :lol: I like the humor.
Though I have only met Steve on a couple of occasions, I'll vouch that he's a stand up guy. Hell anyone that can consistently give Lynch a ribbing is OK in my book!

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2011, 5:53 pm 
FFIM Addict

Good stuff. Thanks for the laughs.

Ken, skip August so KI gets his due!

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2011, 10:30 pm 
FFIMer

KI Joe, I've always enjoyed your contributions here over the years. And you seem like a really great guy, to boot. I'm hoping that we cross paths someday, streamside and when the fish are biting.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2011, 7:32 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Thanks guys, it was fun to answer the questions and like I have said this site has a great group of guys and I look forward to the christmas party. Ahhhhhh Cool weather, I cant stand this heat :D

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 4:41 am 
FFIM-aholic

i'm crushed, of all people i thought you'd take me over the Berry chick. is it that road kill smell that clings to my fly vest? a dead beaver floating down the stream, you can't leave it. where else would you put it ? all summer the coyotes have been avoiding me also. it's a lonely world out here. 8)
don