FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 11th, 2017, 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: June 11' - Bob Erickson
PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 8:47 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Bob Erickson or Vermonter as he posts on the FFIM board. I met Bob some years ago on the stretch of one of rivers we love to fish. He was walking in and I was walking out or maybe it was the other way around but since that day we have shared some really good fishing days, some tough fishing days, banged a few nails together, drank a few beers and shared many a good laugh. He's a protector of the fish and rivers like there's no tomorrow and will more then happily step aside and share a pool with you. He's caught the biggest brook trout of anyone I know - close to 11 lbs and if we're lucky he'll post a picture for you all to see. He can tie a mean fly, make a mean turkey wrap and is someone you all should get to know just like our other Spotlight FFIMers. Meet a good friend of mine, Bob Erickson.

Tell us a little about yourself.

I live in Richmond VT with my wife of 24 years and two dogs, a laband corgi. Son Christopher is off at college. I work for the DefenseDepartment and am a couple of years away from retirement. We have a camp near Quimby Pond in Rangeley. When I'm not in VT, that's where you'll find me! My life changed at 14 years old when a friend of my father's took me for two weeks of fishing on the WB. It was the last year pulp was run. In addition to fishing for salmon, we climbed Mt Katahdin. I caught my first native brook trout on Nesowadnehunk Stream. For a kid from the suburbs of Worcester Massachusetts, it was a game changer.

What do you consider yout home stream?

The Kennebago. I love everything about that river. Fish,scenery, wildlife, history and most of all, good friends.

What's your favorite fly?

Ken's leech! Not really, small wet flies. The wet fly swing is also my favorite way to fish.

Red Sox or Yankees?

Celtics!

Brook Trout or Salmon?

Brook Trout!

What's your most memorable fishing experience?

Lots of them. Three River's Lodge Labrador, Newfoundland, British Columbia, Yellowstone and this August could be spectacular; a tripto Ungava Bay for sea run Arctic Char with the opportunity to see Polarbears. But when it comes down to it, the last two weeks of September on the Kennebago is the best and keeps me going until Spring!

How did you come to find FFIM?

I've been a member since the beginning. Not many posts, but I'm a loyal reader and supporter. I've met a lot of my fishing friends through this site: Ken B, Craig B, Shelby R, Jeremy T, Jeff K, Tom B among others.

Given your choice would you rather spend a day fishing with Don Lynch or a night with Halle Barry?

If you had given me the choice of Carmeron Diaz (tight little package), no hesitation. But in this case, Don.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2011, 8:50 am 
FFIMer

A while ago I posted a reply to something that Bob had written about how he liked a certain sporting print, but wasn't going to get one, and I said that it was an esoteric economic indicator that if Bob actually liked some sporting art and didn't just buy it, it must mean the economy is still down. Some people just have a passion for art and Bob is one of those people, and artists like Bob White and myself are thankful they exist! Generous? I mentioned just one time that I sometimes skip bombers for landlocks and he showed up at my place with a jar of bombers in assorted colors. Despite living in northern Vermont and having all kinds of fishing opportunities there, and having the Adirondacks just a short jaunt away, he choses to have his camp in Maine. That says a lot about his love of our neck of the woods

PostPosted: June 15th, 2011, 10:38 am 
FFIM Addict

There are far worse people who come to Maine to fish. Ken B being among them :twisted: Bob is one of the finer folks I've had the pleasure of fishing with over the years whom I've met through the board. An accomplished tyer, avid conservationist, and well travelled angler :!: We could use a few more like him around here.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2011, 1:24 pm 
FFIMer

I’ll start by saying Bob is one of the best fishermen I’ve come across…

I met Bob after Googling “sucker spawn” a few years back. I came upon a little writeup that he had done describing his 1st experience with fishing eggs in Maine. His way of words in this article sucked me in immediately and I wanted to see if I could get to know him, so I e-mailed Bob asking about the spawn and was surprised to see a reply in my inbox the very next day. Not only was he helpful with the when and where about the sucker spawn, he sent me a few flies to try.

After a few more back and forth e-mails, I knew we would become buddies. Anybody that loves brook trout as much as Bob and prefers swinging wets is a good guy in my book.

Bob is excellent fly tier, well traveled, experienced and is a person that is also willing to take people to his favorite haunts. How can a fellow flyfisherman not like somebody like Bob?

Now with the brown-nosing out of the way… :)
How about showing us that 11lb brookie Bob?

PostPosted: June 15th, 2011, 2:55 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I was fortunate in being introduced to Bob., and in being able to spend time fishing with him and a great circle of friends. Time at his camps; many good times pre-fishing and post fishing. Shooting the breeze, consuming many, many beers. Lots of laughs, lots of stories, and of course some pretty good fish caught along the way as well. Very late nights. Very early mornings, and of course, back in the day, being one of his picture posting b!tch's here on FFIM. 8)

A passionate, caring and incredibly focused angler and tyer. But who shares freely and willingly. Just one of those people whom you feel better just by knowing and spending time with.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2011, 3:04 pm 
FFIM Addict

Very well said Tom.

I don’t know how many years it’s been, but I have been fishing with Bob since he landed in Rangeley and it’s been a pleasure since day one.

I have sat on many riverbanks with Bob in the pitch black and pouring rain just waiting for a glimmer of light to crest over the horizon while we solve the world’s problems. We have hiked, biked, and explored many of the regions jewels throughout the season and it’s always an enjoyment and an adventure for sure.

The myth, the man, the legend......

Attachments:
Early Morning Assault.jpg
Early Morning Assault.jpg [ 41.38 KiB | Viewed 6712 times ]

PostPosted: June 15th, 2011, 3:14 pm 
FFIMer

Per Bob.....

Here is a photo of the big trout about to be released. Taken with a cheap, disposable camera, but I really like it. If you compare the fish to Jordan’s hand, you can appreciate the size!

Attachment:
Labtroutrelease.JPG
Labtroutrelease.JPG [ 79.13 KiB | Viewed 6707 times ]

PostPosted: June 15th, 2011, 8:57 pm 
FFIM Addict

http://www.wentzellcreative.com/FishSki ... sonBob.htm

PostPosted: June 26th, 2011, 8:29 am 
FFIM-aholic

Simply put, you couldn't ask for a better guy to share a pool, beer, or time with; a true gentleman. A tireless fisherman and supporter of the resource. The guy doesn't eat so I'm not sure where his energy comes from :wink: As much as I like fishing with him, I REALLY like to sit back and watch him; methodical, calculating, and a study in patience. He totally has the no indicator nymphing zen thing wired. I've had some great days of fishing with Bob but nothing beats lying on the bank before the crack-o-dawn, looking up at the stars, listening to the mice rustle in the leaves, and the sound of trout as the pool comes alive - bring on September!

PostPosted: June 27th, 2011, 7:57 am 
FFIMer

Thanks for all the kind words although I question if they are deserved. I think of myself as a self taught amatuer who has been lucky to have been shown some prime spots by generous friends (which is why I'm inclined to do so also). I'm a firm believer in karma. And then being in the right place at the right time. I fish with a couple of folks I think of as truly insightful. I can and do switch things up when the old tried and true isn't happening, but they understand WHY they are doing what they do. I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it! This Spring has been exceptional. Pray for September rain.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 5:23 am 
FFIM-aholic

when i first met you it was through Ken b and i thought, he's a friend of Ken's, what can be wrong with him,look at Craig, but then when staying at your place for the CFR weekend and i saw the closet full of Timberland boots, i understood that you were one of his victims like the rest of us. we've met several times but i've never really fished with you, you're not avoiding me like the rest of these bums are you? i think it would be great to share a pool with you, and don't worry, it's not as bad as Tim s says it is . hope you've had a good summer Bob
don