FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 13th, 2017, 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: March '11 - Jeremy
PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 10:51 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Meet Jeremey aka FL. I have yet to actually fish with him but have good friends that have and they tell me he is one of the best flyfisherman they have met. That says a lot as these otherguys are pretty dam good fisherman. Never short on stories or opinions, he has brought much to the FFIM virtual community. Her's a bit about the legend himself.

Tell us a little about yourself.
At 36 years young, I'm happily married to a female, and have reproduced another human in the now form of my loving 2.5 year old Abigail Mae, who is the absolute joy of my life. If she was a fish, it would be a sunfish. Why do you ask? Because she brings me the same smile every time I see her that a sunfish brings to a young kid on a dock. There is nothing that can replace it.

I grew up in Central Maine about a quarter mile from Sabattus Lake where I learned to fish for Bass, then Pike at an early age. This is where I cut my teeth with fishing. I still frequent the lake, but currently live in Windham Maine. I work as a Risk Manager for a large Auto Finance company, which affords me the time I need to remain sane and travel around the state doing my own things. I love to snowmobile in the winter, ice fishing, deer hunt in the fall, boat around with the family in the summer, and of course the whole fly fishing thing. I am very fortunate to have a wife that has fully supports my outdoor sports and enjoy them with me, because without her I would probably live in some sort of facility with bars on the window.

I consider work a means to an end, that end being a long day on the river sitting around the fire with a cold one and a couple good friends. That's why I fish... the truck rides on the salvage missions hundreds of miles away for huge trout are just as enjoyable as the fish themselves.

What do you consider your home stream?I would have to say that I have fished the Magalloway river from the upper to the lower more than any other river in this state. It is where my father, whom didn't have a clue how to fly fish, taught me how. I have had some of my best days on this river, and I have had this river kick my ass like a thug. I learn something new every time I get my waders wet here, but this river surprises me all the time too, which is why I love fishing. Lots of weird fish stories and odd things happen here, more so than elsewhere. You never know what you are going to see or catch, even Splake!

What's your favorite fly?Dry: I don't fish them that much, but had one of the best days fly fishing in my life on GLS one day with a couple members here and a size 16 parachute pheasant tail. Any fish that saw it came up for it. I fish it everywhere now, and never catch a thing on it.
Wet: Size 16, Hungarian winged Soft Hackle, olive body with an undersized gold bead.
Nymph: Size 18 Red Brassie. Works for everything big and small.
Streamer: Abby Mae. Creation I tied with my daughter one day. Pretty simple and very effective in the right circumstances. Probably like any fly, but I have to believe since my daughter was interested in it, it's the best fly ever created, right?

Red Sox or Yankees?

Red Sox. Worked a few blocks from the ballpark for 5 years and there were always tickets floating around work. To be honest, I don't enjoy watching sports very much and didn't have a huge interest in the Sox until I moved down there. Enjoyed every minute of 2004 season, I tell ya. Play-off games the night of my rehearsal dinner and my wedding which were both downtown, added to the excitement.

The wife and I left for Italy for the Honeymoon during the Sox-Yankees series. It was nerve racking with the time delay and lack of coverage. I found out the scores to the games the next day by chance, and we couldn't believe they were still in it after of course game 3. For the last game of the series we were in the small Venice Airport for a super early flight. Some American lady came running out of the bathroom and said, "They did it, they did it, the Red Sox won" and literally the whole airport went wild. It was odd and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. I'll never forget coming back to the City after that series. I was drunk for like another week, getting all bombed on the airplane, just chummin it up to Lester from Worcester whom I never previously met, but he would fist pump me anytime anyone said "Can you believe it?".

We believed..... 4108 miles away.

Brook trout or LL Salmon?
You do know who you are interviewing right?
Wild Brook Trout

What's your most memorable flyfishing experience?
Hard to nail down a trip, outing, or certain experience that outweighs another, but I did have one great battle with a fish that I will always remember. I was fishing the head of Little Falls at GLS one rainy fall. It was one of those bone chillin' days where everything was gray and wet. I wadded to the opposite bank from the trailhead and positioned myself pretty much at the lowest point on the river without heading down onto the slippery rocks out of site. I found that the fish were laying way back in the pool, literally at shelf before it drops into the white water. This can only be fished at 300 cfs or below. Even at this flow, the drift is so quick and if you don't recast you almost get pulled downstream. I ended up picking up a couple fish, but every once in awhile I could see the flash of a mouth at my fly, but the current was too swift and being tugged right by the fish.

After a little adjusting, I got him to take and he immediately made a run upstream, then down towards the falls. I gave him what he wanted and let him go down over the entire falls to the bathtub while I ran down the rocks on the inside of the river to ensure I wasn't going to lose my fly line as the river bends river left quickly around the corner. I went as far as I could down river on the verge of disaster, and put just a little tension on the line and waited to see if he was still there as I couldn't go any further without falling off the rocks, and I had no line to give him.

I waited a minute and I stood and watched that fish and nearly all my fly line run right right up the entire falls right by me. I actually saw the fish run up the river, then all my fly line! He made me climb up out of that hole and back on the ledge to see him go right back and hold his position where I hooked him. I immediately horsed him upriver to ensure he wouldn't go back down and landed him. He wasn't a pig, just about 17-18 inch male salmon, but damn I have never see a fish move up and down a set of falls like that while watching him. It was amazing for me to be on the other end of that line and actually land him, because as you know in this sport the best stories are the ones that you never catch.

How did you come to find FFIM?
Sitting in my boxers one night, and I googled "How to get to the Rapid River"!

Given your choice would you rather spend a day fishing with Don Lynch or a night with Halle Barry?
Sorry Don, you are a good guy and all, but there is something about your ass that doesn't do it for me in a tight red skirt.

Last edited by Ken B on August 21st, 2016, 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 11:17 am 
FFIM-aholic

"Sitting in my boxers one night, and I googled "How to get to the Rapid River"! "

Now that's funny! :shock:

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 11:27 am 
Great choice...first rate person......had the priviledge of guiding him on the Kennebago River a couple of years ago.....he's the real deal.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 12:10 pm 
FFIM Addict

i liked that dude 'Larvae' way better

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 12:23 pm 
FFIM-aholic

and i've always thought i had such a cute butt, dratts you're a great guy to fish and sit around a campfire with Jeremy.
don

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 1:52 pm 
FFIMer

I've spent many "a long day on the river" with Jeremy. I think the the thing I admire most about him is the willingness to experiment; whether it be location, pattern or technique. And usually, it pays off! You can also count on those days to filled with fun. You might even meet a friendly duck.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 2:09 pm 
FFIM Addict

Thanks for the kind words folks, it's been a fun decade or so around these parts.

Attachments:
post-410-1284992530.jpg
post-410-1284992530.jpg [ 36.44 KiB | Viewed 5668 times ]

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 4:35 pm 
FFIM Addict

I watched F.L fish at GLS some years ago-and I don't think he knew who I was at that time- and was bewitched by the mends as he nymphed. I've seen a lot of fishers, but this demonstration was epic. An impressive fisher-person. (But no judge of some of the IMPORTANT things in life-Go Yankees!)

Hutch

PostPosted: April 13th, 2011, 9:51 am 
FFIMer

Sitting in my boxers one night, and I googled "How to get to the Rapid River"!

Somehow I think this is how many of you found the Rapid! :lol: