FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 24th, 2017, 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 13th, 2011, 9:48 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Joela...

One of the goals of the FFIM spotlight is for our virtual community to get to know one another a little better. I knew our first three honorees pretty good and I wanted to get to know someone knew. Joel has been a member for a while and I've enjoyed hios posts tremendously. He's a bambbo nut and if you read his reflections posts you'll know why and now his answers to our questions will give you a bit more insight on him. January's spotlight shines on Joel.

Tell us a little about yourself.
I’m 51, single, 2 kids, daughter 19, who recently moved to AZ, and a son, 21, who is a sophomore at UMO. Love spending time with my significant other, Jaynie, who is my best friend and easily the sweetest, kindest, most considerate and understanding girl the world has ever known. Really. And she really likes to go fishing too!

I have been in love with flies for as long as I can remember. My grand parents owned a home in downtown Freeport in the 70’s, and I used to walk to Beans and pour over the bins of flies for hours. I knew tying flies was something I needed to learn how to do one day. The Muddler Minnow and the stories out of Monatana about Dan Bailey’s Wall of fame that were written out in outdoor magazines always facinated me. I just had to learn how to tie that fly!

Besides, fly tying, and bamboo fly rod building, I enjoy running, play a little guitar, and of course, I’m a big Red Sox, Celtic, and Patriot fan, in that order.

I’ve worked for a public utility for 30 years, with the past 15 being in drinking water treatment management. I plan to retire in about 10 years with hopes before then of building a small cabin up along Route 16 Maine/NH border (my favorite area on Earth!).

What do you consider your home stream?
Half-day trip: Little Androscoggin River. Please, all you Southern Maine fly fisherman, keep going to the Presumpscot River (and the two holes that actually hold fish) and leave the Lil’ Andro to me and the bait fisherman. Although it is a stocked trout fishery, it provides a great place to spend an evening after work. Great hatches. It’s a vastly underrated river.
Full day trip: Rapid River. Reports of her demise have been greatly exaggerated.

What's your favorite fly?
Dry: Toss-up; Emergent Sparkle Pupa, size 16; BWO Sparkle Dun, size 18
Wet: Olive wire-bodied Soft Hackle, size 14
Nymph: Pheasant Tail, size 18
Streamer: Barnes Special, size 4
Note: Although I tie and fish a lot of different patterns, give me the above flies and I’m confident I can catch trout and salmon just about anywhere, any day, anytime.

Red Sox or Yankees?
Please!!! The Red Sox, of course. I peaked as a father the day I took my son to his first Red Sox game. Red Sox-Yankees, Fenway Park, beautiful September Saturday afternoon and the two teams were embroiled in a tight pennant race. Somehow I scored free tickets! Great seats too: Sky Box! Pedro FREAKING Martinez (in his prime) vs Andy Petitte. The concession stands weren’t far from our seats. Since the tickets were free, I figured I splurge a bit on food. I handed my 12-year old son a $20 bill and told him to get us each a hot dog and a coke. He came back 10 mintues later, with an incredulous look on his face and still holding the $20. I asked him, “Where the food?”

“I’m not paying $15 for two hot dogs and two Cokes!!!” he said.

I thought to myself, “That’s my boy! You are gonna do just fine in this world.”

Brook trout or LL Salmon?
1. Wild Brook Trout
2. Wild Landlocked Salmon
3. Stocked Landlocked salmon
4. Stocked Brook Trout…I’d fish for them, but I wouldn't drive far to do so.

If your only experience with brook trout is 10” stockies, you probably don’t have a very accurate opinion of how hard a wild brook trout can fight. Hook a few 16-20” wild brook trout, the kind with “shoulders”, and you’ll never look a life the same way again.

What's your most memorable flyfishing experience?
Usually they are the days that you can do no wrong. For some reason, wild weather is usually involved. The big fish just keep coming. There have been several days like that at GLS. Had one this fall, as a matter of fact

But the most memorable was a day on the Magalloway River. I was going through a tough time in my life as a result of personal loss and it was as if the fishing gods were taking pity on me. It was a fly fishing version of the golfing scene in Caddy Shack where the old guy shoots the best game of his life, without the lightning strike, of course. Big trout and salmon were coming on every cast. I got to the point where I couldn’t find a fly they WOULDN’T take. Finally put on a size 4 Whitlock Bass Hopper as a joke and landed the largest brook trout of my life on the next cast.

How did you come to find FFIM?
Out of curiosity one day, I simply typed “flyfishinginmaine” in the browser address box.

Given your choice would you rather spend a day fishing with Don Lynch or a night with Halle Barry?
Ouch! I probably should refuse to answer on the grounds that I might incriminate myself cause Jaynie reads this forum occasionally. Then again, I’ve always had a weakness for dark skinned girls, and Don Lynch, well, isn’t he a non-female albino?

PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 11:00 am 
FFIMer

Joel

I have been a friend of yours for a long time, and all that you say is very true. You are truely a great friend and you have tought me so much about fishing that I have a hard time finding words to say how much help you have been to me and my fishing. I will never forget that first meeting on the Little Ossipee River when you gave me a maribou muddler and how much fun it used to be to fish that river. You showed me the ropes on the Rapid and Grand Lake Stream. I look up to you as a person and father, you have done a great job at both and now have two wonderful adult kids that you are very proud of. Any time I get to fish with you now is a real treat, because I don't get that chance as often as before, but that is what life is all about. I hope to see you on a river this summer in the White Mountains catching those wonderful wild Brook Trout.

Nice write up about yourself and every word is true and to the point.

Thanks for being a friend.

Lee

PostPosted: January 28th, 2011, 10:59 pm 
FFIMer

I can't let this slip by into February without sharing a few lesser know facts about Joel. While many of you know Joel as a split cane, dry and wet fly purist, there was a time.......
I first met Joel about 10-12 years ago on the Kennebago, he and his buddy Bob were about as good flyfishers as I had ever seen, they caught a lot of fish, but not with cane and feathers. These guys fished nymphs, down and deep, deep and dirty, split shot, bobbers, the whole nine yards.They were such good nymphers that I christened them the "Nymph Nazis" a moniker they wore proudly for many years. Then, of course, they found religion. Gone were the #18 Pheasant tails that had served them so well and so loyally, gone too were the bobbers and split shot. Now it is the sweet song of grass, a good thing, I think. Nowadays, Joel is a much more mellow guy, no longer terrorizing fish in his jackboots, dragging them off the bottom. Now he coaxes them to the surface with delicately presented imitations then slips them back in the water with a wry smile and a chuckle. It's a good thing! Terry

PostPosted: January 29th, 2011, 2:05 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks for the kind words, Terry. You have a wonderful writing style, BTW. You need to write more.

To be honest, I’m still a proud card carrying member of the Nymph Nazi Society. But like many who have been at this game as long as I have, I’ve modified my approached through the years. You’re exactly right; I am a much more mellow guy these days. Long gone are the days I was driven to set ridiculous “fish caught quotas”. Often times I met those lofty quotas through the sheer force of will. Long gone are the days when I would put on blinders and drift nymphs for hours on end. As a result of time spent on the water and the single minded approached of years gone by, I’ve caught more fish on a fly in my life than any three people deserve. I have nothing left to prove in that area.

Nowadays, it’s not about numbers; it’s more about employing the fishing method I find the most enjoyable on a particular day. On some days that might still be nymphing, but it’s just as likely to be streamers, soft hackles, or dry flies. As a result of varying my approach more over the last five years or so, I find I’m learning more and enjoying the sport of fly fishing more than ever.