FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 11th, 2017, 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 9:06 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Ron Rothenberger or 1 Weight.

You may know Ron from his summer exploits north of the border with the great adventurer Brian Foley. You may know 1 Weight for his winter fishing posts on the Farmington in Connecticut. Or you may know 1 Weight for some of his provocative posts. Rest assured that all of these things bring great value to FFIM. However, I've gotten to know Ron and his wife Emily because of their kindness and generosity to myself and FFIM and that my friends in invaluable. Ron, much like Tom and Don, is a humble guy. One who doesn't necessarily embrace the spotlight but will kindly move aside so that it shines on others. It's my privelage to know him and now I'd like you all to meet Ron Rothenberger.

Tell us a little about yourself.

A little bit about myself? I grew up in extreme Western NY state, about 90 miles SW of Buffalo, the snow belt area, in a small lake town of 500 people where I met my wife Emily while we were both working at a ski area. We've been married 33 years and live with our Golden Retriever Kelly in Mid-coast Maine. I make my living as a contract lineman specializing in catenary, transmission, and storm restoration. A job that has given me the opportunity to work and travel all over the country and fish some pretty great places while enjoying what I do.

What do you consider your home stream?

My home stream? That’s a tough one. I have to say the Mad River in Vermont. That’s where I really began my love affair with fly-fishing. Emily gave me an Orvis Far and Fine blank and all the fixings to put together a rod then. That developed my stroke and style. Which to this day is reflected in my new love of cane rods.

What's your favorite fly?

Another tough question. I love the hammering strike when stripping streamers. But then that ever so subtle, almost imperceptible take of a midge. You know that take, the one you're not sure even was one. But probably the pattern that made me comfortable with tying and catching fish on my own flies, is the Vermont Hares Ear Caddis. A shop owner in Vermont by the name of Farrow Allen showed me this pattern. At the time, Emily and I were just starting out and I was collecting returnable's from ski area parking lots to support my fishing habit. I’d buy one fly and take it apart to learn how to tie it. It's an easy tie with minimal material and you trim the hackle so you don't need wicked expensive hackle. Great pattern for the beginner and the fish love it whether it be fished dead drift, skittered or allowed to sink and twitched back at the end of the drift. Fish love caddis.

Red Sox or Yankees?

Red Sox or Yankee? Red Sox! I do recall being an impressionable kid and forced to wear a Yankee cap once. For about forty years after that I hated wearing caps!

Brook Trout or LL Salmon

Brook Trout. They’re just beautiful and the area's they call home are also extraordinary.

What's your most memorable fly-fishing experience?

My most memorable fly-fishing experience? That would have to be catching my first trout on a fly rod. It was on Profile Lake in the shadow of the Old Man of The Mountains with a # 14 black fur ant on the beginner outfit. Once I had him on, I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to reel him in or strip him in. A real trophy, a 5" wild Brook Trout.. I believe I only caught 1 more trout on a spinning rod after that. I was hooked for life.

How did you come to find FFIM?

I can remember doing a search for fly-fishing information in Maine while somewhere in a motel room. I lurked for a couple of years before joining and making my first post. Finally found the courage to post and the rest is history as they say, along with some fine friendships.

Given a choice would you rather spend a day fly-fishing with Don Lynch or a night with Halle Barry?

This is easy. Don Lynch hands down. Just a fantastic individual. Besides, I already have the woman of my dreams.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 5:52 pm 
FFIM-aholic

i don't know if you could stand me for a whole day Ron, but i'd love the experience also. You and Emily are very cool folks and i'm proud to be your friend.you are a huge part of FFIM, and one of the few who could survive a Foley expedition.
don

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 8:02 pm 
FFIM Addict

two of the kindest,nicest folks i know (sorry, ron....emily gets a default mention, as she is clearly your better half!)

PostPosted: December 17th, 2010, 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

1Weight is a true gentlemen.....I'll never forget my fishing trip with him 4 years ago -- some of you newer FFIMers may not have seen this one:

Ron and Dan's Excellent Adventure

PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 9:10 pm 
Quote:
I was collecting returnable's from ski area parking lots to support my fishing habit. I’d buy one fly and take it apart to learn how to tie it.

I wouldn't trade those years for anything.....

Thank you for the kind words and thoughtful acknowledgment of a very nice guy, (if I do say so myself). Although, he used to be so quiet, I can't imagine what happened to him.... :D

Emily

PostPosted: December 21st, 2010, 9:33 am 
FFIM-aholic

Class act for sure! Ron's threads are always a must read in my book. Keep'em coming please, it's getting cold up here! Thank you for all you do - Craig

PostPosted: December 21st, 2010, 12:28 pm 
FFIMer

This spotlight thing is a great idea. Kudos to the FFIM Admin. There certainly are some great folks posting regularly on this site and it's nice to learn a bit more about them. Hope to meet you in person someday, Ron.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2010, 2:38 am 
FFIM Addict

Thanks for all the kind words. FFIM has been a constant companion on some of my sojourns while working away from home. And the sharing of information,whether it be fly tying, hatches, stream conditions or politics one is always able to get what one needs and sometimes more than originally bargained for.

And Don I'd love to have the opportunity to fish a day with you. Tim you are correct, Emily is the best thing that ever happened in my life. Craig, your bike ride is a great cause and I've enjoyed being a part of it and if the weather cooperates and work doesn't get in the way hopefully I'll get in some decent fishing to write about. Tark that was a fun couple of days from the time spent with Tim and company to fishing with Foley. A great way to spend some fall days. And Emily I bet you never imagined what that first fly rod would morf into, Thank you.

And to everyone else I've had the pleasure to read and or meet you all make up the great diversity of this community.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: December 24th, 2010, 1:08 pm 
FFIM Addict

Ron's a good guy. Everyone should go out of their way to meet up with him at FFIM's various functions. It's worth it--even if only to steal the food that his better half sends with him on occasion.

I'm looking forward to Em's own thread sometime down the road. Merry Christmas to you both.