FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 22nd, 2017, 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 24th, 2010, 5:41 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Tom Brunelle or Muddy Boots as he posts here on FFIM.

One of the pleasures that I have in doing what I do for FFIM is that I get to meet so many people. I'm not sure when or where I met Tom - probably at a conclave and my first impression was, "what a nice guy". I think that's probably what most folks say about Tom after meeting him. He's not one of those guys who loves to talk about the big fish that got away as you'll more often then not hear him talking about his kids or hockey. If he does, it tends to be in a very low key, humble kind of way. But, if you're smart and have a chance you'll engage him about fly fishing and what he knows as he's an intense listener and those are the guys who usually know the most. It's been my pleasure to know Tom and now you'll get to know him a little better too. Meet Tom Brunelle.

Tell us a little about yourself.
Well, I am 51 years old and live in Yarmouth. I’ve lived here since 1999. I moved back to Maine after 17 years in Florida. Most of that in central Florida. I really wanted my kids to grow up here. I grew up in Saco. That’s Saco, NOT Biddeford! Many, many summer days as a kid walking or peddling to fish the Saco river and a brook that runs into it.
Divorced, with two awesome kids. And I am very fortunate to have been reunited with a very special lady whom I first met 30 years ago. My daughter is a junior (Dean’s List) at Boston College and my son is a junior at Yarmouth High School. When he’s not giving me gray hair, he’s playing hockey. Lot’s of hockey. I’ve been in the Investment Advisory business since 1994. Before that I was in the horticultural industry, working for some large central Florida growers.
I actually started fly fishing down in FLA. My older brother sent me a Bean’s 9’ 8wt bass rod, which I still have and use here in the salt. I spent a lot of time trying to cast in my yard or on the street in front of my house. I got a lot of weird looks. But most of my fishing was drifting live wild shiners, or throwing plastic worms or poppers for big ass bass. I fished a lot in some of the ponds in burnt out citrus groves, and some of my local rivers, the Ocklawaha, and the Rainbow. When I could get to the coast, it would be for redfish, snook or sea trout on light tackle.

What do you consider your home stream?
Home water? I would have to say the Crooked. I spend more days on stretches of that river year after year than any other. As others who spend the time on that river will tell you, it’s kind of a love /hate type of relationship.

What’s your favorite fly?
Favorite fly? Sheesh, no idea. Though probably a soft hackle or wet fly. Whatever I have to tie on and fish with confidence. I’m pretty confident with a variation of one of those. I nymph a lot as well. With a bobber!

Red Sox or Yankees?
That’s easy. The Bruins. Red Sox baby! Are you kidding? I have great memories of my first trips to Fenway with my dad and two brothers. Slam dunk.

Brook Trout or LL Salmon?
Either if the land locked has some size! But honestly, brookies …Love ‘em.

What’s you most memorable fly-fishing experience?
Too hard to say. I’ve been very fortunate to have many memorable moments or trips. Sometimes it’s the fishing, whether size or numbers. Sometimes, it’s just being there. Always, the company is good. Obviously some trips w/Ken aka Boneylegs come to mind. We’ve shared many, many miles and hours on the water. Some fabulous times w/Jeremy and Bob Erickson. And frankly, any trip with Jeremy is memorable for lots of reasons. The conclave trips are a hoot. Oh yeah, and one end of the season “death march” trip with Matt to catch one dinky brookie. After I thought I had righteously ended my season the week before with the largest Salmon I’d ever caught.

How did you come to find FFIM?
I really don’t remember. Just surfing around at some point and voila, there it was. I definitely lurked around for awhile before wading in….

Given a choice would you rather spend a day fly fishing with Don Lynch or a night with Halle Barry?

Hmmm, that’s a tough one. I’d have to say a day fishing with Don. Yeah a day with Don on the WB, or GLS or the R@%#h in September. I can feel my blood pressure going down a few notches already. Now, if you threw in say, Salma Hayek and maybe Penelope Cruz, then, well, it might be a toss up. Maybe.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2010, 8:29 pm 
FFIM Addict

"Before that I was in the horticultural industry, working for some large central Florida growers."

Sounds sketchy at best. :roll:

PostPosted: November 24th, 2010, 8:47 pm 
FFIM Addict

Tom, that was only a 45 minute hike in. You need to stop sucking on those cancer sticks.

I thought it was a great trip. I love that water, because it's so purty, and I always learn something. Unfortunately for you, on that particular day I learned that 1400 is not a good flow for fishing.

It'll be epic, next time. Maybe.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2010, 5:55 am 
FFIM Addict

The question should be asked AFTER one has fished with Don Lynch-" Would you rather fish w/ Don Again---or date Roseanne Barr?"- then your answers would more true to form.

Hutch

PostPosted: November 25th, 2010, 8:16 am 
FFIMer

LOL, Matt and Hutch have assured they won't be put in the position of being the fishing partner by any of the recipients of the FFIM Spotlight in the future! ;) This was a wonderful read for a Thanksgiving Morning.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2010, 11:08 am 
FFIM Addict

Muddy sold me my 1961 Ampeg Reverberocket, and now I have the best tone of any blues player in the state, so he's okay = I guess. 8)

PostPosted: November 26th, 2010, 7:34 pm 
FFIM-aholic

good answer Muddy, what could she do for you any way? and i'll never ask for child support.
don

PostPosted: November 28th, 2010, 6:35 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hey, some nice comeback comments guys. :oops:

FL; I can still grow just about anything... 8)

Matt, it was epic. Epic miles. Honestly, I love those trips.

Rory, ya! That is a tone machine!

Don, we need to schedule a trip or two next season.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2010, 8:05 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Tom, i'd really love that. Ken hates it when i date other guys, but the hell with him, he's getting bald and he's sure as hell not so cute anymore. let's do it for sure, we could even ask him and he could carry our lunch, the worms, and a change of clothes for Halle Berry,"whoever she is " besides you'll get a lot of good karma by taking an old person out fishing..don

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 4:19 am 
FFIMer

i take the trip with don all so now if it was reba i might have second thought tight lines :D :D :D

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 10:55 am 
FFIM-aholic

"he's getting bald" - GETTING?!? I've had the pleasure of sharing a pool with Muddy - class act for sure!

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 12:06 pm 
FFIMer

I’ve too had the pleasure of sharing a pool, good beer, a hot meal, riverside camp, lost flies, sharp cheese, a rotten cold, bad luck, Boneylegs and Hunter with MuddyBoots. He’s a fine fisherman and a joy to spend time with.

For those new – the popularity at FFIM is based on 1.) hair thinning status 2) if youre a Red Sox or Yankees fan 3.) if you’d rather pull Don’s walker out from under him or be friends with Ken or 4) if you prefer PBR over Long Trail DB.

Seriously, good entertainment for a Monday morning.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 11:10 pm 
FFIMer

These spotlights are good for us newbies. (although I think im the only one right now) It helps us figure things out. However I still dont get the Don Lynch jokes, something about chubs I think? I already got the list of places not to mention on here but had no idea about the hair thinning status, PBR Vs Long Trail DB and yanking Dons walker or being friends with Ken...I have no idea. Im slowly figuring it all out though.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 7:12 am 
FFIMer

"what a nice guy"; nail on the head!

PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 4:51 pm 
FFIM Addict

Jer-

Don is one of the good guys- he enjoys a leg pulling, and seems to pull his OWN most of all! He can out cast, and out fish many here( me!) and seems to always be fishing in a great place-often seen at GLS or the West Branch--and equally as often seems to have had a "good day". Hence, we tease him about only being able to catch children fish-chubbs. Honestly, I think HE started the Chubb thing and we have carried it on for years now.

Don is worth getting to know...which is more than I can say for (deleted due to taste police and Moderator{who was on this list})....... ..... ,... and Ken B.

Hutch