FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 22nd, 2017, 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: October '10 - Don Lynch
PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 8:35 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

This is going to be a new segment that we run on FFIM every couple of weeks. We'll introduce you to those who post and participate here on the site so that you get to "virtually" know them a little better.

We couldn't think of a better candidate then this gentlemen to start off the series. You may know him as the Chubmaster, Roadkill or one of the other nicknames that he has acquired over the years here on FFIM. Please meet Don Lynch:

FFIM Spotlight – MEET DON LYNCH

The Don Lynch Bio
I was married in 1961 after a stint in the Marine corps and started in the post office in the same year. We have 3 children. I fished as a commercial rod and reel fisherman from about 1970 until I moved to Maine. I fished off Cape Cod & Westport MA and Narraganset Bay in R. I’ve caught an awful lot of striped bass and my biggest was 58 lbs. My all time favorite though was cod fishing out of Chatham on the cape in a 19' center console. I fished out to 22 miles or so and at first it was just with a compass. Then Loran came along and we thought we were in heaven! I just loved the excitement of going through Chatham inlet and being so far off shore. I fished 98% of the time alone in my boat but with a small group of other boats around. My wife is very patient as she always put up with me. To say I fish a lot would be a huge understatement. I had a full time job and was on the fishing grounds as much as others.

With no job I moved to Maine in 1987 and we started a bed and breakfast inn in Orland called The Thomas Mason House. I transferred to the post office in Brewer where I had to go back to a part timer. Soon though, I became Postmaster in East Orland.
I lobstered out of East Blue Hill for 5 years and really liked it but it left no time for anything else.

I love Deer hunting and as you all know coyote hunting!

My youngest son got me into fly fishing in the year 2000 when he was going to college in Logan, Utah. He invited us out to visit him and we went & camped in Yellowstone for two weeks. I used his stuff and we fished Slough Creek and the Madison. I had no casting skills and embarrassed him no end but discovered a new love called flyfishing.

What do you consider your home stream?
My home water hmmmm…I guess I don't really have one. The Roach, the West Branch, the Piscataquis or maybe the Orland River?

What’s your favorite fly?
My favorite flies are the Nancy’s Prayer and the West Branch Caddis but that’s a secret so scramble the words.

Red Sox or Yankees?
I like the Red Sox but only when they win.

Brook Trout or LL Salmon?
My favorite fish would be any thing that bites, from a small sunfish to the mighty Fallfish.
and in spite of all my yelling and screaming at them, my kids all like to fish.

What’s you most memorable fly-fishing experience?
My most memorable fly fishing experience would be all our CFR weekends… both the part with the sports and when the guides go off together.

How did you come to find FFIM?
I don't know how I stumbled onto FFIM but I did. At first it was just to learn about fly fishing and to find spots. The first guy I met was Tim Soule. It was at LL Bean and his wife thought I was going to start yelling at him. I guess everyone else did. The first conclave I went to was, I think at Casey's camps. I went just so I could camp cheaper then if I went alone. But because of poor judgement, I started to like you guys. Then I volunteered for CFR and that really sealed it! I think that the people I've met through FFIM and through the conclaves are the greatest people I've ever met. Although I’m still not sure about Dave Huntress.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 9:06 am 
FFIM Addict

couldn't think of a better guy to start this off with.......i rib him a lot, but don is one of my favorite persons and fishing partners.....

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 4:19 pm 
FFIM Addict

Sheeesh--- this man has been married longer than I have been on earth! -and I am OLD!!!! I have long figured DOn was in the witness protection program after turning in one of the Gangsters in Mass.,...and was "hidden" in EAST Orland( where nobody ever goes).

If Don only learned to FF in 2000, then he is a quick learner- because he outfised me each time we have fished together, and he can outcast me too!

Nice-

Hutch

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 5:31 pm 
FFIMer

An FFIM icon! Very nice!!!!!

Boxer or briefs? :D

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 5:57 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Don is a great guy that I can only hope to be as nimble and active when I am his age. I had the great pleasure of fishing with him at last years conclave and would fish with him again in a minute. :D :D :D

PostPosted: October 25th, 2010, 10:15 pm 
FFIM Addict

K. I. Joe wrote:
Don is a great guy that I can only hope to be as nimble and active when I am his age. I had the great pleasure of fishing with him at last years conclave and would fish with him again in a minute. :D :D :D

Did you guys work out a deal that involved dead animals? :D

PostPosted: October 26th, 2010, 8:08 am 
FFIM Addict

Formerly Larvae wrote:
K. I. Joe wrote:

Not sure, but I may have to reconsider my annual deal to load Don's walker into the back of the truck and take him in search of the finest fishing holes in the western mountains for Maine's most underrated gamefish- Semotilus corporalis.

Don "Dead Beaver" Lynch wrote:
I think that the people I've met through FFIM and through the conclaves are the greatest people I've ever met. Although I’m still not sure about Dave Huntress.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2010, 11:25 am 
FFIMer

Don, It's good to meet you this way, since i still haven't made it to a conclave though I've heard a lot about you as a long time lurker. I commend you on your CFR work. I'm also happy that someone besides me catches way too many chub.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2010, 4:18 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Formerly Larvae wrote:
K. I. Joe wrote:

Three dead beaver and one pancaked Muskrat, but dont tell anyone :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: October 26th, 2010, 6:04 pm 
FFIM-aholic

the price of friendship is high ain't it KI ? you're not gonna get much with a dead cat and a couple of crows. beavers are huge on the points list. 8)
don

PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 9:18 pm 
FFIMer

Neat read. I lived in Orland for a bit than moved the big Island....Verona. My old stomping grounds are up there. Do they still do that crazy Orland River float race up there?

PostPosted: October 30th, 2010, 4:39 pm 
FFIMer

Very nicely done!

PostPosted: November 14th, 2010, 9:00 am 
FFIMer

this is a very good idea! sounds like a great fishing partner.