FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 15th, 2017, 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: April '11 - Dave Martel
PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 10:03 am 
Wanna-be Maineiac

I had the pleasure of sitting with Dave at the 2010 LL Bean expo and got to watch him tie flies and he's pretty dam good at it. My guess is that he's a pretty good dam teacher too as you could see that in him when people stopped by to watch and ask questions. I've also had the luxury of fishing with some of Dave's flies and they do work! He's never short on opinions and holds true and hard to his beliefs and while I don't always agree with him I do hold alot of respect for him for being open and sharing those with the FFIM community. Meet dave Martel.

Edited to add: Dave has also been a huge supporter of our fundraising by donating dozens and dozens of flies, buying raffle tickets and upping a bid here and there and the FFIM crew wants to acknowledge his support.

Tell us a little about yourself.
I'm 57, a teacher of US History in Lewiston, at the Middle School across the street from Bates, and have been for 35 years now. I've been ffing since the age of three, having memories of my (now deceased) Dad carrying me in on his back.

I've been married to my wife Sharon for almost 14 years now. WE have two Daughters, ages 29 and 27, one Grandson, Logan, and another on the way.

I've probably got another 4 years of teaching in me, then will retire and work part-time at Beans, or just fish and tie flies.

For those on here that know me well, and have fished with me, I'm not nearly as curmudgeonly in person as I can appear to be (at times) on the 'Net. I just don't suffer fools gladly.

What do you consider your home stream?

I'm 57, a teacher of US History in Lewiston, at the Middle School across the street from Bates, and have been for 35 years now. I've been ffing since the age of three, having memories of my (now deceased) Dad carrying me in on his back.

I've been married to my wife Sharon for almost 14 years now. WE have two Daughters, ages 29 and 27, one Grandson, Logan, and another on the way.

I've probably got another 4 years of teaching in me, then will retire and work part-time at Beans, or just fish and tie flies.

For those on here that know me well, and have fished with me, I'm not nearly as curmudgeonly in person as I can appear to be (at times) on the 'Net. I just don't suffer fools gladly.

What do you consider your home stream?
My "home stream" has changed over the years. Many years ago I would have said the Kenny at Shawmut.....but with the precipitious decline of that fishery I'm guessing I spend more time on the Bingham section than anyplace else. I spend a fair amount of my Maine time at GLS, too. My "local" stream would, in all probability be the Nezinscot in Turner.

What's your favorite fly?
I'm not sure I have a "favorite fly". I tie, and fish, all types. I guess I fish Parachutes and Sparkle Dun dries more than anything else.....so If I were to have a "favorite" it might be a #16 BWO Sparkle Dun; but I'm really stretching, there.

Red Sox or Yankees?
Red Sox or Yankees? Neither. I'm not much of a baseball fan......the NFL is more my speed. New York Giants there. I started following the NFL before the Patriots even existed, for those of you wondering. There are many, many Giants fans among my friends.

Brook trout or LL Salmon?
Brook Trout of Landlocks? Landlocks---hands down. Bigger; stronger; faster; more surface oriented. Brookies are undoubtedly prettier; but given the choice I fish ll's 98% of the time between those choices. In fact; I'd go ll's; Browns; Bows; Cutts; THEN go to Brookies. (Not a politically correct answer for Maine---truth, there). Sorry....

What's your most memorable flyfishing experience?
Most memorable flyfishing experience? Wow......so many to choose from I'm not sure I can pick the "most" memorable? My first Bonefish, perhaps? Belize....1992. Four pounder. Pocket rocket. I was solidly as hooked as she was.....just a great experience. In Maine...my wife and I were fishing GLS above the Cable Pool. She had worked a big ll (like a solid 22"er) for most of an hour----and said "Come catch this fish". Oh oh--methinks. This is one of those "no win" situations---but here goes: Yup......first cast. I got a good loud "YOU SUCK---MARTEL" out of that one---shes never let me forget it, either.

How did you come to find FFIM?
I'm not sure exactly HOW I found FFIM. It was really early.....like '96, maybe? I'd just gotten my first home PC (a Gateway that cost a fortune at the time)....typed in "flyfishing in maine"; and FFIM popped up. The rest is history.

Given your choice would you rather spend a day fishing with Don Lynch or a night with Halle Barry?
Well....oh Boy....I've fished GLS with Don Lynch.....as fine a fella as there is......but Halle Barry? That would be VERY tough to turn down. Of course.....my wife might someday read this.....so in that vein I'd guess that if I value certain irreplaceable parts of my anatomy if I know what's good for me I'd BETTER say-----Don Lynch.

PS: Let me add this, too. The best part of FFIM isn't, IMO, the great info one can glean from the site. The best part is the great people that take part to make this such a wonderful community of flyfishers. I'm not going to name names because I'd almost certainly leave someone out, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. The folks I've met, fished with, tied flies with, had coffee with,claves, have all become VERY important, and meaningful part of my life. As we get older relationships become more important. I've made many, many friends through FFIM that I would never have had the opportunity to enrich my life, and I'm VERY grateful to Tark; Tim; Kenny B; and everyone else associated with this great community for enriching my life. A most sincere THANK YOU for these experiences.

Last edited by Ken B on April 14th, 2011, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 11:24 am 
FFIMer

Very cool ...see Dave you ain't so bad :P :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 1:00 pm 
FFIMer

I'll soften the image even more. A short while ago I asked Dave for a couple of parachute adams to use as tying examples. Not too long after I received those, I got another PM from Dave. He couldn't live with the idea of just sending two and I needed at least a dozen more. Those came in yesterday's mail. And I've only actually met Dave once; briefly at that.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 1:15 pm 
FFIM Addict

I’ll also agree that Dave is a stand up gentleman. Can’t believe his age in the bio, because he’s build like an ox and fit like an Olympic athlete. I’m guessing he doesn’t eat French fries.

Having met Dave a few times, I have to say that he can whip up a great bug and we are fortunate enough to have him involved in the community here, his school system and TU. He was a great friend that went out of his way to tie me up amazing flies prior to a trip a couple years ago, when I had none. Even hand delivered them to me prior to a school day for him.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 2:17 pm 
FFIMer

DaveM has to be one of my top 3 to meet on this forum. We disagree on pretty much everything and that's what I like about his FFIW character. Saddens me that he doesn't consider the Andro his HOME stream though, lol.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 3:30 pm 
FFIM Addict

Vermonter wrote:
I'll soften the image even more. A short while ago I asked Dave for a couple of parachute adams to use as tying examples. Not too long after I received those, I got another PM from Dave. He couldn't live with the idea of just sending two and I needed at least a dozen more. Those came in yesterday's mail. And I've only actually met Dave once; briefly at that.

Dave, could I borrow a Para-Adams or two....just for study purposes of course :)

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 4:12 pm 
Dave.....can I borrow a couple nymphs, just for testing purposes on Kennebago River? I'll provide a complete written report.

PS....he's a great guy......had the opportunity to work with him at the FFIM booth last year at the LLBean fishing expo....tied some beautiful flies!

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 9:36 pm 
FFIMer

Dave's been probably one of the best, most generous people I've met on this board in the short time I've been here. Cheers to you sir! We're in the same town too, so I'm sure I'll meet up with him on the water someday. Mabye even at Bean's...where I also work part time. :D

PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 9:14 am 
FFIMer

Great read. Greater guy. I first met Dave M, after reading some of his posts, in a fly tying shop. Hutch introduced us, and technical doesn't begin to describe his knowledge. I thought wow, this guy is way out of my league. After having the privilege of fishing with him out West last summer, I realized he is way way out of my league. He has forgotten more than I will ever know. However, I will say I found Dave M in person so much more kind and helpful than he sometimes sounds in his posts. Anyone who reads his posts should avoid judging him like I did, because he really is an angler that shares his knowledge willingly. Many of us on here love to fish, and we use that term loosely, its Dave's passion. If he runs like he fishes, I wouldn't pull out in front of him he would total your car.

Can't speak to not eating french fries, but the man does love his DQ blizzards!

PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 9:40 am 
FFIMer

I'd like to add my voice to this thread. There are just a few posters on this board that I read all the time and Dave heads that list. We all know that he has a wonderful depth of knowledge of all things flyfishing, flies, gear, technique etc. What is remarkable is how generous Dave is with this knowledge, if I have a serious question about anything flyfishing, Dave is the first guy I think of. What sets Dave apart is the real passion he has for the sport, and passion goes well beyond obsession. So thanks for the many years of posting and sharing. Terry

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 8:30 am 
FFIMer

This should be in the running for the quote of the year.

Quote:

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 8:35 am 
FFIMer

Wow !! Dave you and I have a lot more in common than I could have ever believed ! Scary !! :lol: Excellent quote BTW.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 9:51 am 
FFIM Addict

I'll agree on reading Dave M's posts. Always enjoyable and informative and even his curmudgeonly ways show his true love of the sport.

And this quote is spot on...

PS: Let me add this, too. The best part of FFIM isn't, IMO, the great info one can glean from the site. The best part is the great people that take part to make this such a wonderful community of flyfishers. I'm not going to name names because I'd almost certainly leave someone out, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. The folks I've met, fished with, tied flies with, had coffee with,claves, have all become VERY important, and meaningful part of my life. As we get older relationships become more important. I've made many, many friends through FFIM that I would never have had the opportunity to enrich my life, and I'm VERY grateful to Tark; Tim; Kenny B; and everyone else associated with this great community for enriching my life. A most sincere THANK YOU for these experiences

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 11:43 am 
FFIM-aholic

I must say that I enjoy reading Dave's posts also because he is not afraid to say how he feels and too many people today don't stand up for what they believe in. I can also say that in the limited time that I have spent with him at a couple of tie and lies, he is much more friendly than his posts make him sound.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 2:10 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Dave i really hope that as you get older and develope your tying skills,that your flies will look as good as mine ( hunter will attest to this) 8)
don