FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 20th, 2017, 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 19th, 2010, 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

Q: Are anglers allowed to travel beyond the locked gates by foot or bicycle and fish the Kennebago River? Are there any places that are of-limits to fishing?

A: Anglers are allowed to walk or bicycle beyond the gate to fish the Kennebago River. The only areas off limits to anglers are those closed by rule, for example the spawning beds. Also, I believe that fishing is prohibited from the dam for safety reasons. As usual, anglers are encouraged to be respectful while accessing the river on private property.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2010, 8:19 pm 
FFIMer

Last time I was there there were municipal graders making repairs to the road. If this equioment was in fact state or town owned (big if..) Then its difficult in my mind to see hoe this gate can be closed to taxpayers...

PostPosted: September 19th, 2010, 8:37 pm 
FFIMer

Hopefully, I am allowed to answer on MDIFW thread...

If you saw equipment beyond the gate, it was contracted, and paid for my the Association and NOT the town. In fact, most of the area beyond the gate is in unorganized territory.

If it was on the lower stretch of the River, then it IS is in the town of Rangeley, yet maintained by local interest/user's group such as River's Edge Sports, RLHT and etc.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2013, 9:02 am 
FFIMer

The answer is yes. However, this area IS maintained by the association that pays the dues and by the companies that contract the use of said land. With that, there is still access permitted to Maine residents on a per-day basis by vehicle. I'm not sure what the protocol is for achieving such success, but I know it's available. Perhaps, contact the biologist in the area. Or, grab your best mountain bike and make the trek.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 6:05 am 
FFIMer

From most of the info I have received about bikes in the western forests of Maine, they are off limits on the active logging roads. Just my understanding, after talking to various large property/logging firms.