FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 19th, 2019, 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1st outing of 2019
PostPosted: May 9th, 2019, 6:57 am 
FFIM-aholic

Or should I say skunking? Fish a popular beach south of Portland last night, nada. Heard of fish caught a bit more to the south and one hooked in the marsh. It's gonna bust open soon. The 7 wt spey with rio Skagit max long tames the wind nicely.

Post subject: Re: 1st outing of 2019
PostPosted: May 13th, 2019, 4:58 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I fished for an hour and a half today, a bit further south; NE wind starting to kick, some decent chop developing, thought I may have had a bump but that was it. Water was 47 so it can't be far off. If this storm pushes up from the south it could mix in just enough warmer water....tick, tick, tick.….

PostPosted: May 14th, 2019, 6:38 am 
FFIM-aholic

Salmosebago wrote:
I fished for an hour and a half today, a bit further south; NE wind starting to kick, some decent chop developing, thought I may have had a bump but that was it. Water was 47 so it can't be far off. If this storm pushes up from the south it could mix in just enough warmer water....tick, tick, tick.….

Fished my usual spot last night after work- on the board.... 2 solid 22" fish and dropped two more. Friggin' cold....

PostPosted: May 20th, 2019, 6:53 am 
FFIM-aholic

Pretty barren in Harpswell this weekend. Saw an osprey get what I expect was about a 5” herring. Not much happening for the 1 seal we saw. Getting there quickly though.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2019, 3:54 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Fished again Monday on the outgoing- no love. Heard of fish caught earlier in the tide. Had a great Cape trip though. Trying north of Portland tonight.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2019, 8:42 pm 
FFIMer

Fished my local spot Monday from the boat on the outgoing... nada. Covered a TON of water from one end of the bay to the other. I've never done well on that tide, but that's when I could get out. On vacation next week... they'll definitely be around my neck of the woods by then.

Peter

PostPosted: May 30th, 2019, 1:35 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Fished north of Portland on Monday midday at the bottom of the tide for about an hour- 5 fish-all solid 22-25" with one 28" or better- Chartreuse and White Clouser, intermediate line.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2019, 10:55 am 
FFIM-aholic

Fished Thursday south of Portland- one dinker. Fished bottom of the tide north of Portland yesterday, no love, but did see a couple of breaking fish.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2019, 11:15 am 
FFIMer

Been a VERY strange early season. Almost no bait in the rivers in Southern Maine, and therefore VERY spotty fishing. And the fish are feeding very differently than in years past. In some spots where the dropping tide is best, they are feeding on the incoming and vise versa. And not great numbers of fish. Hopefully we'll get some warm weather and things will change.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2019, 10:02 pm 
FFIMer

Picked up a handful of fish North of Casco Bay from the boat this morning. Incoming tide, sinking line, olive and white Clouser. Lots of fish, lots of strikes, landed half a dozen. All fat, 18-22ish, birds were diving and fish breaking the surface.

Fished with Titleguy this evening, LDRed a fish and had a few strikes, he did pretty well.

Peter

PostPosted: June 6th, 2019, 8:18 am 
FFIM-aholic

Good fun Peter. Let's do it again. I tied a couple more of those hollows this morning to resupply for tonight.