FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2017, 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spey for salt
PostPosted: September 17th, 2017, 12:11 pm 
FFIMer

I'm looking for some opinions, first hand experience, or baseless conjecture.

Probably 90% of my fishing is fresh water, though I've had a 9wt set up for years and years. Finally this spring/summer I got my act together and spent some time dawn patrolling and getting my Belgian cast and my double haul in better order. And, I started catching stripers, it was great, and a super addition to my regular freshwater skulking about. I intend to add chasing stripers much more regularly to my fly angling rotation, I live near enough the coast, I'd kind of be a chump not to right?

At any rate, in parallel, I started fishing a spey rod a couple of years ago. It didn't take long for me to decide that if I had enough water and was looking to fish heavy or larger flies, that it was simply way less effort for me to do that with my spey rod. The spey family of casts is just easier on my body and for me just plain easier in general than working with a heavier weight single hand rod. At some point I made the delayed conclusion that most of what I struggle with when fishing my 9wt at river mouths and in estuaries could be eliminated by doing what I already do in fresh water, using a spey set up.

So, I've noodled around the internet a bunch but without learning anything too specific. Would anyone care to weigh in or spey gear for stripers? I'm thinking that a 7wt spey rod in the 11'6" to 13'ish range might be the ticket, then again I may have you know what between my ears; who can say?

What say you?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Spey for salt
PostPosted: September 18th, 2017, 12:20 pm 
FFIMer

I recently picked up a 7wt switch rod, an 11 footer, a 7wt spey is probably heavier then a 7 wt switch.... am I correct with that presumption? I've used for stripers twice this year, both from a boat and both times it was my second rod. I caught fish on it yesterday, throwing a full sink line, and it was a blast catching mid to upper teen fish. I've contemplated using it in the surf and at river mouths but I'm not sure it's heavy enough for a big fish, not that I've ever caught a big striper, but that's my goal. I could see it coming in handy on a few river mouths that I fish, you could really bang a cast out there and swing flies across the entire river. I have a few places I got where the fish are typically 20" or less, I'll definitely be bringing the 7wt for those spot but I think I'll stick to my 9' 9wt on the beaches.

Peter

PostPosted: September 18th, 2017, 4:15 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I use a 9 wt 11' 9" Loop Scandi rod for the surf. Works great as an overhead rod. I will be investing in a new line for it next season. The loop scandi short head system is the nutz.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 6:32 pm 
FFIMer

Thank you both for your input.

It does appear that the sweet spot probably resides somewhere in the 7-9 wt spey rod range.

I've got to say, I'm shocked at how little info is out there about this endeavor. It must be less popular a solution than I'd be inclined to believe.

Enjoy the fall fishing!

PostPosted: September 30th, 2017, 8:50 am 
FFIMer

I recommend trying a single handed spey set up to start then take the plunge if you like it. Use your existing single handed rod and you can execute any and all spey casts with a proper line set up.
I went with OPST commando heads and they can be cast both overhead and spey style, Rio and Sci Angler have similar setups - short Skagit heads are what you are looking for-ignore line weight and look at grain weight-opst has a guide on their website. I am new to the casts but I have to say I think the east coast saltwater flyfishers are missing out on something overall. Spey was mentioned in Rich Murphy's book as something he was into for ten years before he wrote his book in 2007. I have been concentrating on it more and more as the summer progressed. I may take the plunge into getting a legitimate spey rod over the winter. The casts take some time to master and a class is probably better than being self taught but You Tube can get you started.
If you don't have Rich Murphy's book it is the "striper bible" IMO.