FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2017, 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 7th, 2017, 10:51 am 
FFIMer

Hi all. I'm heading down to St. Augustine Beach next week for 6 days and I'll have an opportunity to fish at least two of those days. I plan to bring my 8-weight and possibly a 10-weight.

Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge about that area, particularly the beachfront or the Matanzas River and inlet? I'm planning to do some wade fishing as well as renting a skiff one morning. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 9:21 am 
FFIM-aholic

Hi Steve, I have no info for that specific area, but when I was in Panama City a few years back I did well in the estuaries with deceivers (white/chartreuse). On the beaches, shrimp imitations were best. Both were fished on a full sinking line, with slow retrieve.
Estuaries were Sea trout. Beaches were ladyfish and whiting. Whiting, by the way, is delicious!
I do realize I was on the north Gulf coast and you will be on the Atlantic. I would imagine you will find Sugar trout as well as the specks, jacks and Spanish Mackerel. Always a shot at reds, snook, or a prowling Cobia. Flounder if you go really slow.
Good luck, I'm super Jealous!

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 1:25 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks for the info and encouragement. I'm not expecting much other than to wet a line and maybe have a little action. We'll see. I'm scheduled to fly out early on Wed morning but I'm expecting delays with the massive storm. I'll get there eventually though!