FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently September 26th, 2017, 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slow latly
PostPosted: July 30th, 2016, 8:55 am 
FFIMer

I was out this morning for a few hours as the tide just started to come in. I started in the river fishing clouser patterns and crabs. Nothing at all. I had to run back and move my car once the public lot was opened to avoid a ticket. Worked the beach after that with a crab for a bit. The waves were small and infrequent so I was able to wade out behind where most of them were breaking. Nothing touched the crab so I switched to a mackeral hollow pattern. First cast produced a follow, couldn't tell the size just saw a shadow and then a swirl as it turned away. Might have had a couple more follows but not certain. It's been about 3 weeks since I hooked a fish, and more then a month since catching any. I might go out again tomorrow morning if can get up that early again.....

Peter

Post subject: Re: Slow latly
PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 12:42 pm 
FFIMer

Yeah, that's summer. It is a different pattern than spring fishing, but it is predictable.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hang in there, Peter! Found this guy yesterday morning...there are still some snappy fish out there in the right tides! Try to focus on an incoming with some cooler water this time of year...

Attachments:
IMG_6273.jpg
IMG_6273.jpg [ 27 KiB | Viewed 2071 times ]

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2016, 4:49 pm 
FFIMer

No giving up on my end, I'll be at it again Saturday at a new spot. I usually only get 1 weekend day out there, maybe both Sat and Sun of I can manage to drag myself out of bed. Promising leads so far for Saturday. I'm still having my best year ever in the salt, first striper ever and I have had action 3 other days. That's 4 more days of action then any other year I have fished for them. So no complaints!

Peter

PostPosted: August 4th, 2016, 10:13 am 
FFIM-aholic

Down south (but north of the border), Small schoolies have been all over Peter's sand eel ties, though I have yet to entice anything large. Mini blitz last eve brought three fish in ten minutes early on the incoming. Lots of bait around, birds diving, bass busting. Anglers out in force. A great time to be on the beach in Maine! Can be tough to work around the surfers though.
Why is it a surfer thinks it's safe to walk through my back cast without announcing him/her self? Good for them, I'm paying attention. :shock:

PostPosted: August 5th, 2016, 8:31 am 
FFIM-aholic

After not getting so much as a look on days' prior, that hollow fly was $$$ on the drop this morning! Still nothing of size, but fun small schoolies. Totaled 9 between 3:30 and 7:30. One biggie followed
But was too wise to eat, and one dropped fish felt
Like a larger schoolie.