FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 25th, 2017, 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best wind direction
PostPosted: June 10th, 2016, 12:01 pm 
FFIMer

With all this wind, it got me to thinking which wind is best for productive fishing. I've heard 'west is best' 'east is least'. This northwest stuff - especially at the current levels, makes casting hard and even dangerous (can blow fly path into the back off your head!).

What have others heard relative to wind direction and fish productivity? I think Mal likes SW - slow and murky weather usually results. Makes surf easier and less waves. But, I went out this past Sunday (raining/overcast) and it wasn't a productive day. I guess it all depends....

Post subject: Re: Best wind direction
PostPosted: June 17th, 2016, 8:57 am 

Wind in the west, fish bite best. Wind in the east, fish bite least. Wind in the south, blows the fly from the fishes mouth. Or so my grandfather said. He never said anything about north.

I've had fantastic fishing on just about any wind but a hard easterly storm--and that's just because I don't head out when heavy rain and storm winds are in the forecast. But I had friends who used to flock to the mouth of Kennebec when a summer or (especially) fall storm was coming up the coast because they like the big surf and big tides.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2016, 3:36 pm 
FFIM-aholic

My primary spot in southern Maine is not good with a NW wind, mediocre with W and sometimes epic with SW. Hard to fish on any easterly.

Down at Harker's Island, the locals say "you can't catch a clap on a east wind."

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2016, 5:19 pm 
FFIMer

For me it's NW. Not due to difficulty casting, etc. but because cold fronts usually accompany a NW wind and that's death for striper fishing.