FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summer Habits
PostPosted: July 29th, 2015, 9:39 am 
FFIMer

Seems like the bass have gotten into their summer habits. Still picking up fish but really having to work for them. Getting most of the fish on small guitar minnows stripped very slowly across the bottom.

Scarborough River is filthy with bait. Tons of sand eels on the Ferry beach side and tons of juve herring on the Pine Point side.

If you're dropping a boat in at the Pine Point launch heading out, be careful going out of the channel at low tide. The channel has changed and that Red buoy midway down the breakwater is almost on dry land at dead low. Make sure you keep it a ways to your left on the way out or you might be waiting for the tide to come in.

Post subject: Re: Summer Habits
PostPosted: July 30th, 2015, 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Agree on the summer patterns, Tim! Things had really slowed down for me the last week or so, until yesterday morning, picked up a few in a quick before-work session. Incoming tide had them snappy I guess.

Had a few firsts this year now...yesterday I took a hunk out of my prop on a rock at low tide, at the East End in Portland. A week ago there, I found a car underwater. Not exactly what I was looking for at 4:45am on a foggy morning!

Cheers,
Dan

PostPosted: July 30th, 2015, 1:50 pm 
FFIMer

Yikes! I hear you on the East End...that place is real tricky at very low tide

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2015, 3:53 pm 
FFIMer

It has been so slow. Went out on the full moon, there were fish everywhere...just could not connect.

Seem to be keying in on size, so I made a couple king size hollow minnow, not even a look, still too small. Plenty of smalles though, so that isnt too bad.

Hope things change shortly.

My Blog:
http://www.unclebenoutdoors.blogspot.com

My Shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Goldeneyelures

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2015, 7:42 pm 
FFIM-aholic

begarb77 wrote:
there were fish everywhere...just could not connect.

I know the feeling. Spent a good amount of time in Ogunquit this week and cast to and over many fish in the river, sometimes counting more than a dozen in casting distance and could not get a take. Sand eels, clousers, crabs on a full sink, fast medium and slow retrieve, super-slow crawl, etc.
One morning just around slack low tide, there was a whole pod of large fish tailing right in front of me. I mean, Waving hello. As if to say, yep we are eating crabs and no, we don't want yours.
Finally, luck gave me a fish on my last attempt yesterday morning, way out near the mouth of the river. A two-footish healthy bass which ate a slow sand eel right up against a ledge and then offered very strong resistance.