FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently October 19th, 2017, 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 19th, 2015, 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Salt fishing on Casco Bay has been pretty darn good lately. Decided to head South this morning, and ran into Sam Day and Jeff Reardon at the launch putting in. Was pretty slow for us -- one small fish in the boat -- saw some bigger ones. How'd you guys do?

-Dan

PostPosted: July 21st, 2015, 8:56 pm 
FFIMer

Haven't been out in a few days - but last outing was quiet. Hope to rectify soon!

PostPosted: July 24th, 2015, 12:33 pm 
FFIMer

Haven't done anything all season. . Not even a bump. Have fished north and south of there but not Casco Bay at all. Maybe I'll try there in the AM instead of where I was thinking of. Gotta find a spot where I can wade fish.

Peter

PostPosted: July 24th, 2015, 12:46 pm 

Even slower for us, Dan. We were skunked. Where did you guys head? We lost you in the fog. We poked around up in the river hoping for fish drifting the rips or cruisers up on the flats, but didn't find any. Then went outside to bang on the rocks, but my little boat and the big surf were a bad combination, so we called it quits before we ended up swimming.

Sam got a mackerel on a big half-and-half--probably the largest fly I've ever seen a mackerel take.

Tons of bait and a good tide--where were the fish?

Others must have gotten the word, as there were very few shore anglers.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2015, 1:12 pm 
FFIMer

Last time I was down south the sand eels were so think they blacked out the sand... it was almost a constant wave of them as the tide was going out. I didnt notice any other bait aside from some crabs. Last weekend up north I hardly saw any bait, a few small schools of sand eels and a few crabs. I always try to throw a good mix of patterns, a rainbow of clousers, crabs, deceivers, herring, even some shrimp.

Peter

PostPosted: July 24th, 2015, 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

We headed up one of the rivers, but realized the water was falling faster/sooner than expected, (did you notice that?), and got the closest I've been yet to getting stuck. Would have been a long and dry wait. We boh had to jump out and push the boat through several skinny spots before finding the channel along the beach front. Headed out front in the fog, which is where we picked up the single fish we boated. Did see a few more on our way back in, including some lazy follows. Oh well, that's why we call it fishin and not catchin, right?

-Dan