FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently July 25th, 2017, 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Maine's stripers not stripped yet

Although the striped sea bass population isn't in danger, plans are on the table to keep it that way.

The Maine Department of Marine Resources held a meeting Monday, Jan. 5 in Yarmouth in which more than 50 charter captains spoke with DMR about the looming 25 percent reduction.

Bruce Joule, director of DMR's Recreational Saltwater Fisheries Program, said via telephone that while there were some concerns about the reductions, by and large the fishermen provided solutions and suggestions on how to tackle the reduced catch limits.

http://www.boothbayregister.com/article ... -yet/46323

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 10:36 pm 
FFIMer

The Register article mentions the possibility of the 28" limit but incorrectly reports that the current reg is two 28" fish per day.

Tom

PostPosted: January 8th, 2015, 9:29 am 

I don't know how "harvest" is measured, but I have a hard time believing that eliminating the over 40" fish from Maine's harvest reduces it by 25%.

I think that's the right thing to do--I'd never harvest of a fish of that size anyway--but I think to get a 25% reduction would still require additional reductions to harvest of the "slot" fish.

We'll still have a mish mash of regulations up and down the coast.

I'd like to know more about the relative impacts on spawning biomass of harvest of different sized fish. Intuitively, allowing harvest of small stripers while protecting larger fish makes sense to me, but that's not based on any data or studies.

I have heard that other states don't like Maine's approach.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2015, 12:52 pm 
FFIMer

I haven't researched, but will ask here: is there any sense of how MA plans to reduce it's take? Specifically, are it's commercial fishermen asked to reduce take, or is it all on recreational fishermen? Thanks.