FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2018, 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 13th, 2014, 9:34 am 
Site Admin

Maine told to reduce striped bass harvest

YARMOUTH — A multistate commission is directing Maine to reduce its harvest of striped bass by 25 percent next year.

Maine fishery regulators are planning an informational meeting about the ruling, approved recently by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. The commission’s ruling directs coastal states to reduce their catch of striped bass. A stock assessment found that the fish’s 2012 mortality was higher than anticipated and the spawning female population is declining.

more at http://www.pressherald.com/2014/12/07/m ... s-harvest/

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 10:02 am 

Just saw this. I may not have the details right, but from what I could find on the ASMFC website, it looks like Maine is being asked to reduce harvest by 25%, while the Chesapeake Bay states only have to reduce by 20%.

That level of complexity--and the fact that cuts are deepest where existing harvest is lowest--suggests to me it's time to manage migratory fish the same way we manage migratory birds. That would mean one set of consistent regulations for the entire migratory range of the species.

Imagine if Maine had a one duck limit on black ducks and banned their sale, while states around the Chesapeake allowed harvest of more by recreational gunners, plus market gunning. That's what we have now for stripers. It's nuts.

I'd gladly go to C+R on stripers for recreational anglers or to more restrictive size and bag limits, if we could get the states where all the bass are killed to go along.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 1:17 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Jeff, I contacted every one of Maine's senators and congressmen urging that regulations of stripers be removed from ASMFC because of the overfishing by other states with little to no regard for the impact on other states like Maine. Got told they were not interested; to contact ASMFC with comments. Lotta good that did.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2014, 4:55 pm 
FFIM Addict

Gunner,
I hope that isn't telling of those you contacted opinions on other aspects of conservation of species.

Attitudes like those can be very effective in election outcomes. Amazing how quickly they forget after an election, who helps put them in office.

Ron

Sir John Buchan