FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 15th, 2017, 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

Finally found some snappy fish this morning....but lost a nice one on a rookie mistake by not clearing my line. Snagged on the butt of my rod and 'ping' he was gone. Strong fish in shallow water.

To add insult to injury, busted a bearing on the trailer on the way home. Fortunately made it to my driveway.

How often should I be having my bearings packed if loading in and out of saltwater all season? Apparently two years ago was not soon enough!!

-Dan

PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 7:56 pm 
FFIM Addict

tark wrote:
Finally found some snappy fish this morning....but lost a nice one on a rookie mistake by not clearing my line. Snagged on the butt of my rod and 'ping' he was gone. Strong fish in shallow water.

To add insult to injury, busted a bearing on the trailer on the way home. Fortunately made it to my driveway.

How often should I be having my bearings packed if loading in and out of saltwater all season? Apparently two years ago was not soon enough!!

-Dan

Dan, you might consider the bearing buddies so you can keep the grease fresh and push out the water. Grease is cheap so I keep the gun to it all season long.

If it makes you feel any better I bent the gunnel on my boat this weekend and broke the steel plate that holds my spare tire to the trailer frame and just missed losing my spare. 2 seperate incidents in an aggressive trip to Moosehead. Didn't even get to wet a line either.....

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 7:10 am 
FFIMer

Whether bearing buddies or some other grease delivery system (I prefer the bearing that you pump grease into from the "inside out" better than bearing buddies)...you need to grease regularly.

It is a bit of a pain, but the best way to grease is to give the bearings a couple of pumps upon arriving at the launch. The bearings are warm and when they go into the cold water, they rapidly cool and suck in water in the process. A couple of pumps prior to backing in keeps them happy. I don't always do that...but I do regularly grease them up.

I don't recommend repacking bearings. For the cost of bearings, I just replace them every 5 years or so (kind of go by feel). You can also get a bearing thermometer to measure temperature. If one is getting hotter during travel, it is probably time to replace.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 9:39 pm 
FFIMer

It depends on use...

Bearings... annually
Backing plates and brake assembly... annually
Turn down the drum... annually, with a replacement every third year.

One break down and tow costs a lot more than the maintenance costs.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2012, 5:52 am 
FFIMer

Dan oil fill hubs have been great for me so far 20 k change the oil and I run the trailer to the keys and back and dunk it 100's of times a year. Never once an issue. Knock on wood!!!

PostPosted: June 28th, 2012, 9:54 pm 
FFIMer

Dan:
I'm a "nut" on bearings. I'm no mechanic but the only way I achieve peace of mind in trailering a Grand Laker ( some very long distances) and a Whaler Montauk ( mostly close to home) is to pull the hubs every spring and have a look. It's not difficult. Usually things are OK and I simply pack a little grease inside and am good to go for the year. Occasionally, though there's a surprise, mostly on the salt water boat. There may be some water penetration and a bit of rust, even with bearing buddies. These surprises are why I pull the hubs yearly and replace the bearings myself every couple of years. I have ten thumbs. If I can do it, anyone can. Have a handy pal show you the first time.
Oh yeah: I also carry an emergency kit: Trailer jack, tools, new bearings, seals, grease, ect. Never had to use em' but if a bearing fails way Downeast, I can get home.
And there's never a guarantee on hanging loose fly line with a good fish on. We're probably lucky it doesn't happen more often, especially in boats.