FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Swing and a miss...
PostPosted: June 24th, 2012, 8:40 am 
FFIMer

Went out again yesterday off Freeport - absolutely beautiful day to be in the kayak. Trolled on the way out to some islands and then worked the islands. Looked really fishy - but nothing doin'. Worked lots of rocky areas, areas away from the shore, points of shoreland, etc. Tried guitar minnow, clouser, hollow fly, herring imitations, etc. I think my bigger issue related to depth of the fly - I think the fish were a bit deeper than I was getting.

On the paddle home, saw birds working the surface about 300 yards away. Got there just as it died down, did get a follow on my clouser. At least nice to see some fish activity. Fished through rising tide to full.

Since I started fly fishing for stripers, this is my worst start - only one fish to date. But, I've not been out as much due to other work. That other work? Getting a Boston Whaler ready for the water. Hopefully get a sanding done, a coat of paint and then allow to dry. Another coat of paint and then it's time to right the boat. The engine is already running and ready to be mounted - so I'm not too far away. My shoulders/arms will be appreciative - nearly 4 miles of paddling yesterday! Will be able to see fish much better than the low perch in my 'yak.

Soon...very soon!

Post subject: Re: Swing and a miss...
PostPosted: June 24th, 2012, 9:22 pm 
FFIMer

Nice report my friend. Fishing (no bait) has been tough lately for most everyone I know.They're on mackeral and follow thm. Need a strong sou'westerly to drive them in tight again.Good luck in your outings. :D

Post subject: Re: Swing and a miss...
PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 12:17 pm 
FFIMer

Mal, weather forecast shows winds swinging to Southwesterly tomorrow evening. So, your wish looks like it might come true!