FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sanibel Island, Fla
PostPosted: April 28th, 2012, 1:08 pm 
FFIMer

Spent a week on Sanibel Island which is near Ft. Myers. Sanibel has a nice beach the length of the island facing the Gulf. One can fish from the beach for snook and other fish in the trough that forms between high tide and a sand bar maybe 10-15' off shore. Unfortunately the surf was very rough all week and high tides were during the day when people were in the water. I did not try real early and late which probably would have increased my chances. Some people were casting about 70-80 feet out in chest high water and catching some kind of fish that looked to be 12".

The other side of the island is mangrove covered with open shallow water. I fished in Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge at the several large culverts that let the tides go in and out. One evening caught what I think is a 16" ladyfish on a brown Crazy Charlie. I was fishing with my grandfather's Bristol-Horton, 7wt, production bamboo rod. Lots of fun as the ladyfish jumped, tugged, and ran into the culvert. Managed to land it as I was being eaten alive by no-see-ums which I had not expected and was not prepared for. ANother day I was fishing in the afternoon on the outgoing tide and hooked an 8" amberjack. That one really fought as well and was a pretty little fish with pale yellow coloring. I was using a 1/0 fly in blue, white and sparkle. A lady that I saw fishing with live shrimp showed my about a 20" pompano that she had caught at a culvert in the morning. Beautiful fish and I guess good to eat. If you ever go down there is alot of information on the www.

Post subject: Re: Sanibel Island, Fla
PostPosted: May 1st, 2012, 8:06 am 
FFIM-aholic

Great place, and it sounds like you enjoyed it despite those ever-present winds and those amazingly nasty no-see-ums! One of our favorite places, and you found the best spots! Glad you found some fish.

Kat

Post subject: Re: Sanibel Island, Fla
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2012, 4:12 pm 

Great spot. If you go back, there are also fish to be had on the islands along the bridge from the mainland. I caught ladyfish, jacks, trout and one small redfish on a couple of mornings fishing one of them 6 or 7 years ago. I had a pod of porpoise or dolphins drive a school of jacks right up into the shallows at my feet--which was really cool.