FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 14th, 2017, 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 12 weight reel?
PostPosted: November 21st, 2011, 11:28 am 
FFIMer

In the last couple of years I have focused more on saltwater, with a couple of tarpon trips mixed in. Can anyone recomend a 12 weight with a flawless drag system? I am looking at the Orvis Hydros reels, but also considering a Tibor reel (very pricey).

I have come to learn that you cant go cheap with the drag when fighting a 100 pound tarpon, but I am curious what others use out there.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 12 weight reel?
PostPosted: November 21st, 2011, 8:09 pm 
FFIMer

They are not the prettiest reel out there, but it is hard to beat a Lamson Lightspeed. They are a workhorse of a reel. Tough as nails on the outside with a conical drag that is hard to beat.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2011, 6:00 pm 
FFIMer

Bogdan, best there is. has to be pre owned as no more are being made from what I understand. But as you say very pricy.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2011, 6:34 pm 
FFIM Addict

I picked up a pair of Tibor Gulfstream reels earlier this year to chase sharks/tuna with. So far- I've been happy with them, but can't say I've fought any 100 lb tarpon on them, yet (or anything else for that matter).

PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 8:00 am 
FFIMer

Tibors are very nice reels - pretty much bomb proof, very well made, extremely high quality, and good looking. Take reasonable care of one, and your great grandkids will be able to fish it with pride. When I was looking to buy my last reel, I considered one, but found them too heavy for my taste.

I would second S2's nomination of the Lamson/Waterworks Litespeed, or if you have the means, its big brother the Vanquish. They are somewhat homely, but a reel is a tool, and function comes before form for the most part with me. The conical drag developed by Waterworks is, in my humble opinion, the best to be found on a mass produced reel. It provides more surface area and better heat dissipation than most of the disc drag systems out there. It won't warp like discs can (my brother had a Tibor that suffered from that problem), and the friction bearing components - teflon impregnated alloys of some kind - are more durable than cork, rulon, carbon fiber, or other materials used in most disc drags. The clinchers for me when I decided on a Litespeed were the extremely limited number of overall parts in the reel, the Alox finish, and the light weight. The Lamsons have far fewer parts than other reels in their class; generally speaking, fewer parts = fewer opportunities for breakdowns or malfunctions. The Alox finish, though ugly to some, is tough as nails, and you will be hard pressed to find a lighter reel with the same drag power and backing capacity.

In the end, if you spend three or four hundred dollars on a quality brand, you're going to get a good reel, so there are lots of safe choices out there.

This mighty river is both my savior and my sin.... - Kristian Matsson

PostPosted: December 7th, 2011, 4:44 pm 
FFIMer

Thanks for the comments. I am still pontificating.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 9:35 am 
FFIMer

I like STH BT&T Turbine Disc drag reels for such fish. Rugged, plenty of capacity, dual - reliable drag systems and tough. Oh - did I mention they are nice looking and don't cost a fortune.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 11:10 am 
FFIM Addict

Seamaster; Abel; or Tibor for that type of work.

Dave M

PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 9:15 pm 
FFIMer

Lots of good reccomendations above. If your in the market, just south of you there are a lot of guys trying to get rid on unused, 12WT reels that were bought in anticpation of some of epic tuna fishing we had a few years ago. Most of tuna fly guys have transitioned to spin fishing or even worse, trolling...... If you were to make post on reeltime.com and say your interested in buying a good used , or like new 12WT reel, I'd be suprised if you didnt get a lot of options...