FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 9th, 2011, 9:20 am 
Site Admin

Commission shelves reduction of striped bass harvest in Chesapeake Bay

BOSTON — A proposal that could have slashed Maryland's annual striped bass catch by more than 50 percent in 2012 was shelved Tuesday morning by the commission that oversees East Coast fisheries.

The 9-6 vote by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission's striped bass board will most likely postpone any further discussion of a harvest reduction until 2013, when a new population assessment is due.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/gr ... 4124.story

PostPosted: November 9th, 2011, 1:13 pm 
FFIMer

Very frustrating meeting. States to our south just don't care that the fishery in Maine has all but collapsed, so nothing will get done until the striper fishing in CT/NY and points south also tanks, by which point it'll be too late.

It leaves me wondering - what's the point of managing a migratory species via interstate commission (e.g. ASMFC) if the collapse of a fishery in one of the member states isn't enough to force management action?

PostPosted: November 9th, 2011, 3:49 pm 

What's the geographic break-down of the 9-6 vote? Where were Maine's representatives?

It strikes me that changing two votes makes this decision go the other way next time.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2011, 6:42 pm 
FFIMer

Jeff,

I don't have my notes handy, but from memory the bad guys were: MA (Their delegation was split, and Diodati was overruled in the end), NY, CT, PRFC, USFWS, NMFS, MD, VA, and ? (I can't remember who the last vote was).

It's a shame, if Diodati had been able to sway one of the other guys from MA, and the feds had gone for conservation, we'd be having a much different conversation today.

On a brighter note, Menhaden conservation took a major step forward today - http://news.joincca.org/a-new-day-for-m ... management

PostPosted: November 9th, 2011, 7:19 pm 
FFIMer

Who were those Mass. delegates. Names please? Also, the names of those feds who voted would be nice for everyone to know.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2011, 8:47 pm 
FFIMer

Doug Jowett wrote:
Who were those Mass. delegates. Names please? Also, the names of those feds who voted would be nice for everyone to know.

I don't have the most up-to-date info handy, but according to the file at http://asmfc.org/committeeListsJul10/st ... rd0710.pdf

The Governor's appointee for MA is Bill Adler and the legislative seat is held by Sarah Peake. Note- this list still has Norm Olsen listed for ME, so it may not be accurate for the MA delegates either.

Jaime Geiger is listed as the only USFWS contact, and Steve Meyers is the only NMFS contact - these two are the real puzzle for me - why would the feds vote against allowing public input and against even the possibility of taking action on striped bass. Odd.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2011, 6:51 am 
FFIMer

"BINGO"

Matt wrote
Quote:
It leaves me wondering - what's the point of managing a migratory species via interstate commission (e.g. ASMFC) if the collapse of a fishery in one of the member states isn't enough to force management action?

PostPosted: January 6th, 2012, 2:41 pm 
FFIMer

greedy ass morons !!! :x :x :x