FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2011, 9:06 am 
Site Admin

Ripples of striper downslide hit fishing community

At least three tournaments, one bait shop and a guiding business. That's the fallout, so far, of the declining striper population in Maine.

The Kennebec Benefit Pro-Am Tournament was called off two weeks ago because of what director Forrest Faulkingham called a sad drop in stripers.

"Last year, 28 anglers caught two fish. Three years ago, 12 anglers caught 193 fish," said Faulkingham about the Pro-Am. "It's gone down."

http://www.pressherald.com/life/outdoor ... 10-02.html

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 11:32 am 
FFIMer

The news article says Kennebec Angler in Bath is closing... John Kenealy,Steve Chaisson, Mike Holt, Bob Mallard too. Looks like the only fly shop on the Kennebec is going to be Wal-Mart. :cry:

PostPosted: October 9th, 2011, 7:29 pm 
FFIMer

I personally have spent a great deal of money at three of the shops mentioned. FFO(thanks Mike Miss our conversations) I bought a 1300 dollar Bow-Tech compound bow from Steve, And I am still spending money at KRO if every one spent more time and money at LOCAL fly shops not the big box stores we may have better luck keeping fly shops open in Maine. We all need to Ban together and restore our fisheries and protect habitat and the resource.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 2:57 pm 
FFIMer

I hear fishing and hunting is down all over the country. Unfortunately many small shops are having a hard time. The big box stores do not really have a clue as to what we require. I for one will keep frequenting the local small businesses.