FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 1st, 2011, 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

A Tropical Technique for Maine’s Shallows

PORTLAND, Me. — I was standing in the bow of a low-riding skiff as my angling companion poled us across white sand flats, illuminated by a warm summer sun. Suddenly, several wakes appeared before the boat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/02/sport ... .html?_r=1

PostPosted: October 21st, 2011, 8:03 am 
FFIMer

Great picture and nice article. Not sure I 100% agree that it is a more fulfilling way to fish for stripers as I greatly enjoy fishing ledges, breakers, flats and busting fish. One of the pleasing things about stripers to me is going out any given morning and having the chance to encounter the fish in several different ways.

No doubt that shallow flats is one of the ways I enjoy though.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2011, 9:19 am 
FFIMer

That,s the beauty in fishing Jcoops, each his own,,,I have anglers who could care less for the sight fishing game, for me I caught enough striped bass but I love the challenge of sight fishing in a addictive way!!!! I feel really lucky I have a large group of repete anglers who focus is sight fishing- book there days to tides that will suit fishing the flats and hope for clean skies' but understand that a back up plan of blind casting and chasing busting fish or whatever else is also pretty damm fun...Many of these guys are very good and well traveled anglers who other focus might be permit or big bones fish or laid up tarpon, It's all fun!!!!!

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2011, 6:15 pm 
FFIMer

I guess that's true: "to each their own", but for me sightfishing the flats is absolutely the most fulfilling way to flyfish for stripers. Its a high pressure knowledge based game - nothing like it for me.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 4:45 am 
FFIMer

Wow! Nice photo. This is a unique way to fish. Wish i was there!

PostPosted: November 19th, 2011, 5:15 pm 
FFIMer

Another unique way of fishing stripers I happened apon in a "river" in Revere mass. The water is tidal and builds quite a current on both incoming and outgoing tides. Myself and a few friends spent quite a bit of time flyfishing for schoolie stripers up to eight pounds or so. I do not remember just what bucktail I had on, but it would sit on the surface for a split second before sinking and fished as any streamer. On one such cast, a striper grabbed it before it had a chance to sink. On my next trip to the river I brought with me a few very large dry flies that I had tied for atlantic salmon and tied one on, more for the hell of it than any hopes of it working. It did work and very well, I do not remember just how meny fish I landed that day, but it was great. Very similar to salmon or trout fishing in any fresh water river, with the exception of the size of the fish, some of which were in the seven or eight pound range. Its possible that some of the guys here have enough experience to have witnessed something similar, but it was a first for me.