FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2018, 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great morning!
PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 11:42 am 
FFIMer

Great morning guys ! I hit the flats first and was well rewarded with five fat stripers in about forty minutes fishing. They were four high end slots and one thirty incher.Took them all on a white half n' half fished on an intermediate line.
I was only there for forty minutes because the wind picked up substantially.So I headed to a protected creek I know. When I first got there the tide was still out pretty good. For the first hour it was very slow but I knew if I hung around for the tide to rise I'd most probably get fish.
The tide came in very quick. As soon as the water was a couple feet deep I began to catch stripers. They were feeding heavy on silversides and what appeared to be juvenile herring.Using the same fly ,in the next three hours I caught another ten stripers ! The first couple were cookie cutter 18 inch schoolies. Then the twenty-sumpthin's showed up.I got six between 22" and 25". I was on my feet (bad knee) for longer than I should have but whatcha gonna do ! They were bitin' ! I was pretty happy with the mornings fishing and headed for the car. I got within 100 yds of the car when I decided to give it ten more casts. Glad I did. On cast two I hooked a nice 27" fish which showed me my backing.Cast number four (after a five minute fight with the 27" fish) gave forth the best fish of the day! It was a fat thirty-five inch pig that gave me and my knee all I could handle. three times she took me into my backing. That five foot water depth makes them run,that plus the wicked current due to the incoming tide.
After releasing her I'd had enough. It was a great time,best day of the season so far !!!
For now its off to the big easy chair for some R&R and ice for the knee.

Post subject: Re: Great morning!
PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 12:35 pm 
FFIM Addict

Even though I seldom fish the salt. I can really appreciate going the distance for fishing. Storm surge and bodily aches and pains be damned. Sounds like you'll have great memories while you ride out the storm.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 3:24 pm 
FFIM-aholic

NICE! Talked to a bud that was surfing a local rivermouth yesterday and he said he had schools of large fish under him most of the day! All this weather should get the fishing going whether you're inland or on the salt - too many fish, too little time!

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 5:55 pm 
FFIMer

Mal, glad to hear you're back at it - and that the fish were cooperative. I gotta get out again with you. Hope that brace is working well! Chuck