FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2018, 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a striper, bad!
PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 11:40 am 

This is looking like the first year since 1994 I may get through the entire summer without catching a single striper.

It's got to happen soon--I won't take time away from prime September trout and salmon fishing.

I see some good early am tides coming this weekend for some of my favorite southern Maine hotspots, and I have the little tin boat ready to go. My usual spots and tactics have failed me all summer, so I am in need of help.

Suggestions welcome. Never thought I'd need to solicit online help to get a striper in the boat, but I have sunk that low. :cry:

Post subject: Re: Need a striper, bad!
PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 12:31 pm 
FFIMer

How bad? Bait bad? Slimey bait bad?

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 12:43 pm 

Not that bad yet--though drowning eels from the beach at night does have a certain appeal. :lol:

It's not just that I've been out and not caught fish--it's that I've been out a lot of times and not even seen them. Fish I know are there but can't catch don't bother me--I like the challenge--but the feeling that I am (again) flailing over empty water is killing me.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 12:58 pm 
FFIMer

I know what you mean, and I believe in principals. In fact, my first principal is flexibility!
I fished the long rod til dusk last night, with no results, then switched to the striper candy. Had a 35"r in 5 minutes. 43" was the biggest girl in our group last night.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 6:32 pm 
FFIMer

I hear what you're saying eatonrun. However some of us refuse to use anything but a flyrod.Not being puritanical just that that's all we fish with and in my case that time period covers three and one half decades. :D

Jeff I'm going out both days this weekend at 0400. I'll be fishing a beach where a small out flow enters the ocean. Fishing will cease at 0700. I've always done fairly well there at this time of year. If you would like to try your luck with me give me a call at 207-590-8609. :D

PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 8:33 pm 
FFIMer

Awesome can I forward the charges from all my 1-900 calls to that number. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 9:56 pm 
FFIMer

You would,you perv. !!! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 11:07 pm 

Mainiac, thanks for the offer. I have a similar plan for Sunday. Tomorrow I'm scraping and sanding so I can get my house painted before September fishing gets here.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2011, 5:28 pm 
FFIMer

My only striper this year was a 12" fish I caught on the Miramichi while fishing for salmon!

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 7:31 am 
FFIMer

Why resort to the real thing? I tied up some 5" eel patterns using black rabbit strip's and some crystal flash. Used them last Mon eve and landed 4 out of the 7 fish hooked in a 4 hour time span. Not one fish landed was under 30" and 2 were 36" Best night I've had for some time. All fish hooked took me into backing and the last one took me out 3 times before throwing my fly. I think they are still in a nocternal feeding pattern till water temps drop so go at night.(the darker the better)