FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2018, 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 27th, 2011, 9:05 pm 
FFIMer

So, how are folks doing numbers-wise versus last year? I've seen more fish, but landed less.

How about you?

PostPosted: July 27th, 2011, 9:43 pm 
FFIMer

June was slightly better than '10, July has been quite a bit worse. A couple of bites that carried me through the month last year never materialized this year, so I've struggled to find fish all month.

Last year July was more or less the end of my season, so I'm hoping for(though not counting on) some activity in Aug/Sep this year.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2011, 7:53 am 
FFIMer

June was about the same as last year. July has been much better. Could be the luck of the draw...I fish about 1 time a week on average, but the fish have been biting in July, even as the sun gets high.

This is interesting (perhaps not conclusive, but interesting). It is easy to assume that since I've found the fishing better, that most would...I guess it depends on location, luck, flies...not the slam dunk that I though it was. I was just going on the assumption that there were more fish around this year...and that made for better fishing.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2011, 9:41 am 
FFIMer

jcoops wrote:
This is interesting (perhaps not conclusive, but interesting). It is easy to assume that since I've found the fishing better, that most would...I guess it depends on location, luck, flies...not the slam dunk that I though it was. I was just going on the assumption that there were more fish around this year...and that made for better fishing.

It might just be the spots I'm fishing, but I fish a lot, usually 3-4 times a week, and if I've caught more than a dozen fish all month I'd be surprised.

I think there just aren't many fish around, but stripers are still a schooling fish, so when you find 'em it's still good - it's just that it's harder to find them. There are stories of a blitz of 50lbers on the Vineyard in the 80's during the lowest point of the crash - if you'd just looked at that one spot on that one day, it'd have been awful difficult to believe the stripers were in trouble.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2011, 11:10 am 

I didn't fish enough either this year or last for my results along to mean much, but see this year's results below under the Sebasco thread.

By contrast, last year during the same period ( a week when my brother in law was in town) I had similar results most of the times we went out, but hit a big blitz one night in which we both landed several fish an hour or so of fishing, two of them over 30 inches. This year we never hit that blitz, though we did see a handful of feeding fish.

Either this year or last were markedly different from 4 or 5 years ago, when I generally expected to see stripers every time I went out.

One major difference is that back then I was probably fishing stripers 2-3 times a week, and generally in the same area, so I was pretty dialed in to the local scene. The last few years my striper fishing has been way too sporadic for me to have much local knowledge. That makes a huge difference.

I believe this a major factor for some of the folks who don't see as big a decline from what we had a few years ago--if you are on the water every day and really know what's going on, you stand a good chance of being able to find fish most days you go out.

But back in the old days, just about anybody could expect to blunder into fish on a regular basis, and that does not seem to be the case any longer.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2011, 4:26 pm 
FFIMer

I'm not doing tremendously better this year, but I am enjoying it much more. I agree with what Jeff says about blundering onto them, and I enjoyed that for years. '09-'10 were awful for me. This year I'm getting up at 4AM when the tides swing around, seeing fish in ankle/knee deep water, and getting shots. I miss many, but fishing over fish, and not the empty water I suspected in the past two years, has made getting up 'worth it.'

Some day a striper-reflex strip-set may overwhelm my trout rod-set. Until then....

PostPosted: July 30th, 2011, 11:47 am 
FFIMer

Decidedly better than the previous two years. I'm not slaying them but I seem to get a few nearly every time out.The best thing is that even if I get skunked I'm seeing fish.Many more than the last two years. :D