FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently November 20th, 2018, 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 11:05 am 
FFIMer

I've done a fair amount of striper fishing with live bait in the past but would like to give it a shot with my 9# rod. Can anyone give me a few suggestions on patterns? Deceivers and Clausers are great choices from what I've been told. Any favorite salt water reels? Has anyone heard if there are any fish in the St. George yet? Might be too cold with all the rain we've had.

Lots of questions, I know, but any help will be mcuh appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm 
FFIMer

There are a few fish in the lower Saint George along with loads of bait. Big rains seem to be putting fish off for a few days each time they happen. Flies should be pretty large with lots of white. A little settled warm weather would do miracles for the fishing and my morale!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 3:32 pm 

Don's got far better info on current conditions in the St. George than I do.

Listen to him!

For tackle, you can make do with just about any reel that will hold a 9 weight fly line and 100-150 yards of backing. Fancy drag systems are nice, but not necessary for stripers, which don't generally make long blistering runs.

I like to use a tapered leader about 9 feet long with a tippet of 10-15 pound mono. I usually use 10 or 12 pound.

For flies, I think you will cover most of the bases with a variety of Clouser minnows and Deceiver-style bait fish. Think white, yellow, and chartreuse. Many of your flies should have olive or green or peacock herl toppings. Common baits in Maine can range from 1-2 inch juvenile herring or silversides up to 10-12 inch long mackerel or alewives, so carry your flies in a range of sizes. I find that generally a fly in the 2-4 inch range will work. If it doesn't, try something a lot larger or really small, depending on what your are seeing for bait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 1st, 2009, 9:51 am 
FFIMer

Thanks for the guidance. Hoping to see a change in the weather pattern next week!

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 2:21 am 
FFIMer

In fact, sea bass and Atlantic salmon were so abundant, an increasing number of anglers fly fishing for stripers in the Hudson. Stripers are biting near the back of the cannon in the lower lake. One of the few fishermen to challenge Stripers on the Hudson with a fly rod.