FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently August 20th, 2018, 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 9th, 2009, 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

From today's BDN:

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/107932.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 6:34 am 
FFIM Addict

I think this is good news, generally speaking, but I wouldn't base the decision on a "feds shouldn't tell us what to do" argument. I think that having some oversight and regs in place for something like the striper fishery could be a very good thing. As it stands now, most of the pigs are being harvested well before they make it to Maine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 8:57 am 
FFIM Addict

I'm on the other side of this fence- we need some funding for management, stock enhancement, and law enforcement. Defeating this bill does nothing to help that situation, nor does the passage of the Trahan bill. In fact, the Trahan bill will still have some cost associated with it and effectively does nothing for the resource, except take reporting on saltwater fishing away from DMR and put it into IF&W hands which is suspect at best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 4:49 pm 
FFIMer

Maine Senate rejected the saltwater license bill and the so called "free'" Trahan state registry bill. Both issues will be re-visited when the Maine Legislature re-convenes next fall and early winter. For those following this issue, the "free" registry ended up having a fiscal note attached over $300,000 which would have come out of the Marine Resources Department's budget. It basically was an unfunded program with no benefits to the resource or fishing community. Maine striper situation certainly needs some attention but that can't be done without money. Money would come from a saltwater license.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 8:00 pm 
FFIMer

Doug

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 6:22 am 
FFIM Addict

What would money for a saltwater license accomplish in Maine, besides enformement enhancements? (This is not a set-up--I'm curious.) It just seems to me that the gummint never uses monies in the way is says it's going to, and that "managing" a migratory creature at the state level doesn't do all that much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 1:03 pm 
FFIM Addict

Per the proposed bill, money would be spent on stock enhancement (i.e.- shad and river herring stocking), fish passage improvement projects, research, enforcement. The Penobscot Restoration Project is projected to need approx. $24 million to complete Phase 1 over the next 16 years. License money would likely be used for this. Continued efforts to build the shad fishery on the Kennebec also will require funding. Right now, the Waldoboro shad hatchery is not opporating because the funds just aren't there to support both management and stock enhancement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 1:59 pm 
FFIMer

Matt,

In addition Maine does have a population of spawning stripers on the Kennebec that we know very little about. There could be real promise in developing a native fishery. Right now we are managing it based on the cautionary principle, but what could we be doing to enhance it?

Without a solid funding source for this kind of research we'll may never know.

Post subject: sw license
PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 8:01 pm 
FFIMer

Hi all...glad to see this forum up and running.
I think the good senator ( trahan) is just trying to get re-elected by making a big splash. This foolish bill of his is poorly thought out and has almost no merit. I agree that a saltwater license is something none of us desire but, the feds are forcing it on us... as a member of the maine charter capt assoc we offically were against any form of sw license. but since we have no choice we now support one and want the money to stay here in maine. It will be dedicated to dmr and the only way the state can get it's hands on it for another purpose is if the governor has an emergency need..then he can take it. but that goes for any other gov department. doesn't happen often. Sen trahan's bill doesn't even allow the license agents to collect the $2.00 fee ( there are around 85,000 sw anglers in maine, never mind over 250,000 fisherfolks and some of them fish the salt too) what a loss of funds to the agents. he claims that it will cost only 12 grand a year to administer this license.. The $300,000.00 figure is way closer to the truth.it's only 10 or 15 bucks per year and multipy that times all those fishermen/women. it'd be quite a boon to dmr. they'll be able to manage the license and enforcement and there should be money left over for research. and the latest i hear is they want to tax charter captains, smelt shack operators and tidewater guides to fund it ?!?!?! I have only around 10 weeks in the summer to try and make a couple bucks and with this economy we in the guiding industry are already hurting. besides the fact that we aren't even part of the license deal. we already are part of the registry and have to give catch reports all summer.I am not required to have the license and anyone on my boat doesn't either. as i said I get calls almost weekly asking for the catch numbers.
I understand that a migratory species isn't going to be all that affected by what we do in maine but I believe that with the penob restoration we'll soon be seeing native stripers right here. there has been 2 stripers caught that i know of that were around 7 or 8 inches...proof that some fish have found a way to spawn already. you folks should check out the post on the suftalk forum from nova scotia...they've been catching really nice fish up to 30" there are pics and guys saying they see the stripers spawn in 2 of the rivers on the bay of fundy. If it's happening there by golly it'll happen here!

wow...sorry about the long post! but this issue has me just steaming!

Post subject: Re: sw license
PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 8:07 am 
FFIMer

Resident populations of striped bass would be one arena that would pay dividends BIG TIME. I am convinced that the previous GREAT fishing during May and early June was the result of Kennebec River striper populations. We didn't manage it well and most of the breeders have been culled out by liberal limits on big breeding females. We need to eliminate the 40" trophy limit from Maine law to protect our fragile spawning population of stripers in the Kennebec. Only money from a saltwater fishing license will help accomplish such a goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 8:47 am 
FFIMer

Well guys I was posting this on a few other forums and was about to post it here and saw there was already a thread going...

Maine SWL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just an update and a little frustration to express here

Some of us here in Maine have been working for a few seasons on writing and getting a SWL ready to fill the fed. requirement. There was actually a pretty decent proposed license on the table...where kids under 12 did not need to one, cost would only be around $10-15/ year ( now just think for a minute a whole yr of fishing for the cost of 1 lure), out-of-state anglers fishing with guides would not need to buy a license...the list goes on...a pretty decent proposed license that anglers had a pretty big part in having thier say how it was written.
OK- Fast forward, SAM (sportsman alliance of Maine) -pretty much a group that spends 80% of thier time fishing freshwater decides they need to "save" the Maine anglers from another license and starts a Fish free or die campaign...OMG give me a break ! We have been paying to fish freshwater in the state of Maine since before most of the fishermen alive where even born. And they come up with this "Free" registry that everyone will only have to register to fish saltwater at no cost, as this thing develops and we all know there is NO FREE anything in the world besides the junk someone puts out in thier front lawn with a "free"sign because they are too lazy to take it to the dump thierselves...it starts to develope all these costs associated with the implimenting and administrative costs and a number arises to about $200K
to have this "free" registry ..with no way to pay for it.

So now with a few groups fighting for thier agenda the senate votes to table both bills and send them back to the Marine Resource committee

Long and short of it tons of work and planning an NOTHING will get done, not one step forward to fill the fed. requirement that goes into effect for 2010. A bunch of bull%*& and political positioning to make a grab for some press and to "SAVE" the world from another license !!

It's beyond my brain capacity how some can be so near sighted and close minded. It's TIME for a SWL in every state..if it's done correctly, and I REPEAT done correctly !! it can fund many recreational fishing programs that most states need, it will also give rec anglers a seat at the table within your state to fight for rec. based issues...in the past rec anglers have overlooked and pushed aside because "we don't even pay" to use the resources, if you have ever worked with DMR you know that $$ is what gets thier attention. Does anyone WANT a saltwater license ? NO we don't but if you are going to have one anyway-make it work for you and your state
OK my pouring rain morning rant over....