FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently June 23rd, 2017, 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 28th, 2005, 9:18 am 
FFIMer

New Web Site for: “Maine’s Classic Landlocked Salmon Program” <BR> <BR>Over the last 6-8 weeks I’ve been working with John Hunt to get a web site up and on line for the promotion of “Maine’s Classic Landlocked Salmon Program”. <BR> <BR> The goal and primary focus of this program is to advocate for and encourage the management of the salmon fisheries to support a return to a traditional "Classic Landlocked Salmon" fishery, enabling salmon to reach their specific maximum size on a selected group of waters. <BR> <BR>In general we are aiming to increase the number of 5 lb plus salmon available for anglers in selected Maine waters. <BR> <BR>With money acquired through a Heritage Fund Grant John Hunt was recently hired to work with me as the project coordinator on this Quality Landlocked Salmon Initiative, a joint effort between SAM and DIF&W. Although web site development is not what John normally does I think did an excellent job and with your input we will make revisions as necessary. <BR> <BR>There are a number of designated “Classic Landlocked Salmon Water” listed at this time with very detailed action plans that were developed by the various regional fisheries biologist, with more to come shortly. I believe these plans have been well thought out and feel the DIF&W biologist deserve a lot of credit for the time and commitment they have put into this project. There are some very interesting proposals in the making, some dealing with creating opportunities on moving waters. The site will be updated as proposals are finalized, so check periodically; the site indicates the date of the last update. <BR> <BR>So please take the time to visit the site, <!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.classicsalmon.org" target="_blank">http://www.classicsalmon.org</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end --> ,and provide us with your input. We hope you find the site very informative and we are also in hopes that many of you will join us in support of “Maine’s Classic Landlocked Salmon Program” when regional public meetings and public rule making hearings are held later this year. Dates and times of these meetings will also be posted on the site. <BR> <BR>In reality, the success of this program depends primarily on the support of anglers such as you. <BR> <BR>Thanks for taking the time….. <BR> <BR>Sincerely, <BR> <BR>Larry Fiori <BR>Director, “Maine’s Classic Landlocked Salmon Program” <BR> <BR> <BR><BR><BR><font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alive Fly on 2005-02-28 08:20 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 28th, 2005, 9:23 am 
The link above doesn't work, but this one does: <BR> <BR><!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.classicsalmon.org/" target="_blank">http://www.classicsalmon.org/</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end -->

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 28th, 2005, 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Would love to hear what folks think about this new program. I've been getting invovled with the SAM FIC for about a year now, and they are definitely a passionate bunch of Maine anglers who want to make a difference. Larry (Alive Fly) is a top notch guy, and from what I can tell has done a great job working with the MDIFW to establish this cooperative effort. <BR> <BR>-Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 28th, 2005, 10:00 pm 
FFIM Addict

Looks good to me. Any individuals or organizations that are passionate AND put their thoughts, education, and hard work into improving the fisheries get 2 thumbs up from me. Lot's of talkers, really like to see go getters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 28th, 2005, 10:52 pm 
FFIM Addict

Ive been reading over it and it looks really good. Im impressed and hope it works out. Duane

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2005, 10:50 am 

I think it's a very worthwhile program, mainly because I view it as a first step toward even bigger and better developments - in the future I would like to see the progam expanded way beyond the 7 lakes mentioned and I would also like to see the mindset of the project to evolve a bit - instead of just creating trophy fish through tighter regulations, I would like to see more emphasis on ethics and good stewardship of our resources.
[addsig]

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2005, 9:49 pm 
FFIMer

Hi Brian <BR>I’m John Hunt, project coordinator. Thanks to you and the others for the words of encouragement. I’ll be responding to some of the posts on this forum, and since you made some good points, I’ll start with yours. The program will be expanded beyond the 7 waters. As a matter of fact, we expect 6 or 7 more to be added in the next week or so. As far as the regs are concerned, some may actually be LESS restrictive. This may be a temporary necessity in some wild waters where natural reproduction has gotten out of control. I agree with you on the ethics and stewardship, but that is beyond the scope of this project. However, it should always be enhanced whenever possible. <BR>PS <BR>Some of the waters need volunteers to keep records for the biologists. A new water, not listed yet, in Region E is an example. You can volunteer to help on the site by filling out a form. <BR>

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2005, 11:35 pm 
FFIM Addict

Id be glad to help out WHEN the West Branch is added! Seriously though, Id like to get involved too in one way or another. Dont hesitate to drop me an e-mail. Duane <BR> <BR><!-- BBcode auto-mailto start --><a href="mailto:vigsbigflies@netscape.net">vigsbigflies@netscape.net</a><!-- BBCode auto-mailto end -->

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2005, 2:42 pm 
FFIMer

Sounds like a great initiative. I hope the 4 original landlocked salmon lakes get put on the list as well. They seem conspicously absent. Is there a reason for this?

<BR>And whispering in their ears
<BR>Give them unquiet dreams;
<BR>Leaning softly out
<BR>From ferns that drop their tears
<BR>Over the young streams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2005, 3:41 pm 
FFIM Addict

Here's a possible answer - despite the myth of huge landlocks everywhere in the good old days, friends of Sebago claims that the Sebago salmon were the only ones to routinely reach weights of 5 pounds or more. In Alive Fly's post which started this thread, he stated "In general we are aiming to increase the number of 5 lb plus salmon available for anglers in selected Maine waters.". If friends of Sebago are accurate in their information, the only waters truly capable of growing any numbers of 5lb plus fish would be waters stocked with Sebago strain landlocks, not the other original watersheds (including West Grand, the other major hatchery strain).

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2005, 4:06 pm 
FFIM Addict

Lest anyone think I misunderstood FOS, the following is a cut & paste from their F.E.R.C. testimony, found at <!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.friendsofsebago.org/appcomments.html" target="_blank">http://www.friendsofsebago.org/appcomments.html</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end --> <BR> <BR> <BR>"Sebago Lake is an unusually favorable environment for freshwater Atlantic salmon. Freshwater Atlantic salmon caught in Sebago Lake have always dwarved those from the three other native homes of the species in New England (Green Lake, Union River, Maine; Sebec Lake, Penobscot River drainage, Maine; West Grand Lake and St. Croix River drainage, Maine). While five pound freshwater Atlantic salmon were considered trophies to 19th century anglers at West Grand Lake and Sebec Lake, anglers at Sebago Lake caught freshwater Atlantic salmon as large as 22 pounds; and ten and 15 pound salmon were not uncommon. The largest freshwater Atlantic salmon recorded from Sebago Lake were documented in 1908. That year, fishery biologists captured one salmon weighing 35.5 pounds and a second weighing 31.25 pounds (Kendall 1935)." <BR>