[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FFIM • View topic - Closures

FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 25th, 2020, 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Closures
PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 10:23 am 
FFIM-aholic

With all the things being closed due to the pandemic, I’m wondering how long it might be before popular fishing areas get the same treatment.
Consider the recent closure of spring skiing Mecca Tuckerman Ravine in NH. Long a favorite of mine, I figured Tucks would provide some good snowboarding to finish the season after all the ski areas closed. But Alas, even this chip has now fallen. Concerned with the crowds who flock to the legend, the authorities have closed the main part of the bowl where most people congregate (lunch rocks) and the main run (the lip). This is defined as the “upper Tuckerman Ravine trail.”
I don’t disagree with the closure but it’s a shock. They never stop people up there. The avalanche rating could be “Extreme”, meaning widespread avalanches are certain, but the snow rangers still would not stop you from proceeding if you had a death wish.
Clearly, your death wish is one thing, but they won’t tolerate you exposing others. However shocking, it’s a good call.
So, with places like Songo Locks getting crowds of anglers sooner or later, how long before we see these places get shut down?
Are you avoiding typical popular spots?

Post subject: Re: Closures
PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 10:53 am 
FFIMer

Yeah, crazy to see they closed Tuck.

I'm hoping they don't close the Great Pond (Belgrade) boat launch, or any others that I have planned to use in Maine or NH. I expect that they will though.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 11:04 am 
FFIMer

"New mandate prohibits all nonessential activities" Gov Janet Mills has announced a statewide stay at home order. Beginning at 12:01 am 4/2/20 Maine residents will be prohibited from traveling outside their homes for all but essential personal activities.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 11:05 am 
FFIM-aholic

PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 11:19 am 
FFIM-aholic

Engaging in outdoor exercise activities, such as fishing, walking, hiking,
running or biking, but only in compliance with the gathering restriction in
Executive Order 14 FY 19/20 and all applicable social distancing guidance
published by the U.S. and Maine Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention;

PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 11:57 am 
FFIM-aholic

I'm assuming that skinning at ski resorts complies with the "hiking". If any of you are around Bethel - plenty of snow. Waiting for this afternoon to "loosen it up". Tomorrows rain is gonna put a huge dent in the pack - get after it!

PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 1:19 pm 
FFIMer

In all seriousness, the State should close off some waters during the smelt runs and sucker spawn. Donneybrook does tend to draw a crowd.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 3:51 pm 
FFIM Addict

In CO, where we've been under a stay at home order for about a week, hunting and fishing are explicitly allowed to continue. Skinning at ski areas was shut down after too many crowds showed up. I heard some trailheads are being closed down, though. I've both skied and fished since stay at home started. Monday night, after dinner and putting kids to bed, I found a pod of rising fish within walking distance of my house. Unfortunately, I was going light, couldn't find any gink, and the dry and emerger dropper I had left strung up from last time out (can't remember when that was) did not do the trick. It was also getting dark, so it's likely that little killer brooks sprout was sunken and I just couldn't see. Still, it felt great to get out and I was really happy to find some risers. They'll see me again soon, though it seems likely somebody else has been smartening them up for me.

Lucky for me, I don't generally ski or fish with the crowds and I have a long list of off the map spots in the hills nearby to scope out this spring. It'll be kinda nice to just focus on fishing close to home this spring.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 4:23 pm 
FFIMer

The park at Songo Locks is closed... not sure if you could still fish there or not. I was on Sebago last weekend, launching at the State Park, probably 75 or more boats launched from there. Hard to maintain distance from others while launching from a place with two lanes, but everyone did their best.

Peter

PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 4:29 pm 
FFIMer

MT is essentially closed unless you want to sit around for 2 weeks smoking cigars

https://www.krtv.com/news/montana-and-r ... in-montana

PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 4:44 pm 
FFIMer

PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 5:42 pm 
FFIMer

the smelt runs are going to cause some problems. ( don't they usually anyway? :lol: ) May potentially just give them a reason to shut down certain areas if people are not careful.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2020, 6:25 am 
FFIMer

My work is going full bore We fall under the Food and Agriculture industry,more orders than we can keep up with company gave out papers in case we are stopped by law enforcement, Under "Critical Infrastructure Segment"
Folks are buying garden seed like I have never seen before :!:
You can bet I will be fishing through this, shuttles with the Drift boat might be a problem this spring. But I can get around that somehow.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2020, 9:56 am 
FFIM-aholic

Driving by the ‘Sump lot (10 vehicles) and the lot by Otter Ponds (a dozen) yesterday, one gets the feeling the fishing crowds need to check the distancing guidelines again :shock:
One of our main challenges is that a whole lot people tend to think the guidelines don’t apply to them. And this will continue to rage.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2020, 10:56 am 
FFIM Addict

Yesterday, being home for the first time in years (25?) for the traditional Opening Day I decided to go to GLS. Social distancing "WAS" in effect. One person at the dam pool when I arrived and he left while I was rigging up. I had the whole pool to myself for a couple of hours save for some ducks fighting over mates. One other fisherman arrived he was opposite me on west side while I as luck would have it occupied his "rock/niche" on the east side. When I decided to move on we met at the dam. Hot Damn it wasn't the keeper of the stream himself Hutch.
We did an awkward stretched "elbow bump" then chatted at a respectable distance apart. He was headed to the rock I'd occupied and myself to "uncharted by me" waters down river.
I did end up with 1 respectable salmon on a #20 nymph and saw one splashy rise mid-pool, which the keeper likened to a floating smelt. Well outside either of our best efforts of a cast.
Forgot how far GLS is for a "quick" trip from home. But despite the distance a great day anyhow.

Ron

PS: Anglers have a measuring stick/get back jack weapon in their hand while social distancing. Use your rod as a (usually 8') measuring device. And poke 'em in the eye with the tiptop if they infringe on your space.

Sir John Buchan