[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FFIM • View topic - Ridiculously Easy Sculpin

FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently May 25th, 2020, 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 29th, 2020, 9:16 am 
FFIM Addict

All.......

Most of you that know me know I’m not a streamer tier. I only fish them as a last resort searching fly; if I don’t know what’s going on in a new place.

I was reading Clarks/Banjo’s Board yesterday and a guy posted a Sculpin pattern that looked almost too easy to tie. Being stuck at home with this whole Social Distancing thing I thought “Why not.....?”

Heading down to the tying room I just didn’t like the deer hair head and deer hair fins of the tie from the original pointer I changed things up a bit. I haven’t actually fished these (so, in effect....buyer, or tier, beware;-). )

Wool Head Sculpin

Hook: Tiemco 5253
Size 6;4; or 2
Thread: 6/0 Uni (Seems like rope compared to the 14/0 or 16/0 I usually use)
Color: Olive or Brown (or Olive/Brown mixed)
Weight: 25 wraps of .025 lead-free wire—superglued
Tail: good marabou Substitute Zonker strip (short) if desired
Body: the excess marabou from the tail twisted and wrapped
Rib: medium ultra wire (chartreuse on the olive; copper on the brown)
Fins: Pheasant church feathers (turned out)
Head: Sculpin wool (in a dubbing loop—dense) Trim to shape...flat on the bottom

Pig simple; easy to tie; and cheap materials, so you won’t worry about throwing this fly into a log jam. If you lost it so what? The total cost per fly is less than 20 cents, and about three minutes of your time.
I’m tying up a dozen (or so) for this year. Try this...I think you’ll like it.
No...I no longer have a Photosuckit account.....so can’t post a pic; but I think the instructions are fairly straight-forward. If anybody needs a pic I could sent one to Foley or Courtney for those guys to post. Good tying, everybody.

Dave M

PostPosted: March 29th, 2020, 11:22 am 

Dave, I've caught some of my largest brookies on my own wool head sculpin pattern - the Giant Killer - it's the only one I'll tie...send along a picture and a link to the article - brian(dot)foley(at)maine(dot)edu

PostPosted: March 30th, 2020, 6:03 am 
FFIMer

I would like to see some pics of these bad boys..

PostPosted: March 30th, 2020, 12:59 pm 

Here are Dave's pics - one of the top side & a bottom view showing the fins - Thanks dave!

Attachments:
IMG_0224.jpg
IMG_0224.jpg [ 48.43 KiB | Viewed 581 times ]
IMG_0225.jpg
IMG_0225.jpg [ 44.42 KiB | Viewed 581 times ]

PostPosted: March 30th, 2020, 1:27 pm 
FFIM Addict

I tried like heck to *not* show much of the top of my tying desk......as it’s a total mess. After I finish up another 1/2 dozen or so of those sculpins i really need to put away all the colors of marabou; wire; sculpin wool; etc. It’s getting so I can’t even see the top of the desk.

By the time this whole “Social Distancing” thing gets over I’ll need a Ghillie to carry around my flyboxes. Shesshhhhh.....

Dave M

PostPosted: March 30th, 2020, 2:22 pm 
FFIMer

I am completely ignorant about that fly. I mean I've heard the name Sculpin before, but never imagined it was something here in Maine. For whatever reason, I think of Pennsylvania when I hear sculpin. So how do you fish it and where? It looks huge and you've got a bunch of wire on there. I'd appreciate a lesson. Thanks!

Tim

PostPosted: March 30th, 2020, 2:45 pm 
FFIM Addict

PostPosted: March 30th, 2020, 3:36 pm 
FFIMer

Well all right then. I will have to try them. Thanks for the description, the pattern and the idea!

PostPosted: March 31st, 2020, 9:08 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Yup, brownies love them. Cast up and across, mend, mend, mend, twitch, twitch, swing.

Repeat.

I use a zonker for the tail, run it up the back, bound in by the wire rib... cross cut rabbit for a collar, then the pec fins and head like here. Make sure that wool head soaks up lots of water. Casts like a wet wash cloth.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 5:41 am 
FFIMer

Thanks for the pictures.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 6:59 am 
FFIM Addict

PostPosted: April 1st, 2020, 9:18 am 
FFIMer

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I’d piggy back a question into this one. Wooly buggers are leech patterns (or at least that’s what I’ve always thought). Now, I’ve seen leeches in ponds all over the state and even in the little farm pond on my property. Most of them have a light-ish, red-ish strip on their underside. Are there patterns for wooly buggers that include that coloring? Thanks!

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2020, 8:50 am 
FFIM Addict

Tinsnip- I tie my brookie buggers to imitate botha small brook trout and a leach. Always egg sucking. And usually with a strip of red flashabou on either side of the tail.

With all of this free time on our hands- I want to see the Ridiculously Difficult Sculpin patterns. Whatcha all got?

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2020, 9:07 am 
FFIM Addict

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2020, 9:47 am 
FFIMer

Thanks Hunter and Dave. A bit of flash-a-something makes sense and who’s to say which is the bottom of a leech anyway.

If we weren’t in lockdown I wouldn’t be fly fishing this early in the season anyway. So yes, I plan to STFH. It is something we can do to help. I have nothing but respect for those on the front lines.

On a positive note, I’m finding it a perfect time to start my exercise program. I gained 20 after quitting tobacco in 2019 and have had a hell of a time getting rid of it. So now, everyday starts with the bike and weights. And I am tying at least 3 flies everyday. Paltry numbers for you guys, but slow and steady, etc.

Stay healthy!
Tim