[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FFIM • View topic - Spinner Falls......

FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 3rd, 2020, 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spinner Falls......
PostPosted: March 24th, 2020, 12:00 pm 
FFIM Addict

.....I was watching a video this morning from Headhunters Flyshop in Craig, Mt........on the world-famous Missouri River. It’s on fishing Trico Spinners. Mother Nature......and Covid-19 willing; I’m still planning (as of four months out....we’ll see, won’t we??) to be there in the last week of July.

THe Spinner swarms are simply unbelieveable. It can be tough fishing. As the Guide in the video says “ Dead flies don’t swim”. Truer words were never spoken. It’s accurate casting at its finest. Two inches off, and you might as well be fishing on the moon.

It’s a freaking blast if you can cast accurately enough to do it right. If you’ve never done it; plan a trip out there in late July or August some time. You’ll have a blast.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Spinner Falls......
PostPosted: March 24th, 2020, 12:55 pm 
FFIM Addict

That's worth dreaming about, right there, Dave.

I've never hit the trico spinners on the Mo, but I have had a lot of fun fishing spinners other places, including trico spinners. I might differentiate between live spinners and spent spinners. Fish are on both, depending on what's going on. I fish what you might call "live spinners" pretty often, because I love fishing dries and breezy afternoons out west, they work pretty well. Cast a long-tailed mayfly into the wind to the bank and there's a decent chance a brown will slurp it if there was a good hatch that morning or earlier that afternoon.

When I've had the most fun fishing tricos, I've actually caught a lot of fish in a productive riffle for 2 or 3 hours of fantastic fishing where you don't need perfect drifts because the flies are still moving right along and there are so many fish in the river, that if you can get a 10 foot drift, you have a good chance of raising a fish. In one of my favorite memories doing this, I had one kid standing to each side of me and while they weren't catching fish, they were raising them. You can't really see the fish rising in the riffle, and the ones you see will be the small overexcited fish. So you just cover the whole river, gradually lengthening your cast.

At the same time, below you in the slack water, there are fish eating spent spinners. And these fish are tough. You're really working 3 different groups of fish without moving your feet. Up and across, there are fish in the riffle in fast-moving water and you can't see them. Across and slightly down, there are fish in walking or jogging pace water and you can see individual fish rising and target them. And then downstream in the barely moving water, there are more fish. You work one group until you catch one, then you switch to another group until you catch one there, then you switch again. You raise a fish most casts if you haven't put them down with sloppy casting or a hot fish. Really, really fun.

Question back at you, Dave:
What's your favorite trico spinner fly? Mine is a hackle stacker in red and one in green. You can see it and it lays flat in the film and it catches fish.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2020, 1:20 pm 
FFIM Addict

Hi Push......

My favorite Trico Spinner is a #22 TMC 100 hook; A VERY long hackle barb tail (like three or even four times the body length) a white thread body (Spinners are VERY thin bodied) a black Superfine dubbing thorax; and a Z-Lon spent wing. That pattern kicks ass on the MO. The Bighorn, too.

I always trail the lead fly with a Drowned Trike. Same fly, but with a bead head tied on a TMC 2457 Scud hook.

A MO Guide told me more than 20 years ago that for every trout up on top slurping down TRico dries there are five to ten down below chowing down on drowned Trike Spinners.

I was a bit stunned at that at first, but I believed him the first time I fished that drowned Trike Spinner......and took three or four trout on it for every trout I took on the dry Spinner.

Before the Spinner Fall I fish a #22 Parachute Adams....its a killer when the female Trikes are coming off before mating and dying.

Ask Mike Holt about his first experience on the MO with Trike Spinners. My Buddy and I had fun with him. Mike is an *excellent* fisherman; and the first morning he was fishing the wrong Trike Spinner. A revelation...to be sure.

Dave M

PostPosted: March 24th, 2020, 2:50 pm 
FFIMer

I have fished a few great trico spinner falls on Vermont's Battenkill. It is super fun when it all comes together. Granted, the majority of the fish feeding on them there are 8-10" brookies, but even they can be super selective. Landing a few in a morning can feel like a triumph. The clouds of flies over the river can be unreal!

PostPosted: March 24th, 2020, 3:29 pm 
FFIM-aholic

The White River used to have a killer trico hatch when I was in Law School and after... I have a couple of really solid spots in Maine- particularly cornutas.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2020, 5:05 pm 
FFIM Addict

Last week I witnessed some spinners setting up for a fall. They weren't Trikes but they were small. Probably olives, I tried to post a couple pictures of them but the format wouldn't allow the transfer. They could be seen in the photo. Figured it would unnerve Dave M.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: March 24th, 2020, 5:35 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Picture this. You're fishing with two guys who have fished Trikes and they've given you pointers. You feel pretty comfortable - you've fished hatches before and best of all you have two different Trico patterns in your box - one of them is bound to work. Huh.

That was me. I hadn't seen a Trike hatch but I thought I was ready. Until I looked downstream and caught a glimpse of the smoke from a fire. I figured it was a pretty good fire from the smoke. Then Dave tells me that's a MAYFLY cloud, not smoke. Those are Trikes he says. A little later, as the cloud moves closer, he tells me to take my chin off my chest and close my mouth before I swallow some of those Trikes.

Well, I didn't have much luck that day. Or the next for that matter so on day two of no fish during two big hatches I just broke down and asked - what the hell am I doing wrong. Dave M looks at me and says "you told us you had Trike imitations but I didn't ask if you were fishing Male or Female patterns. You're probably fishing the Male." To which I replied something like "yeah, I fell off a turnip truck but it wasn't this morning - we're talking about size 20 or 22 flies - Male or Female - bull"

After much assurance from both of them we sat down at the vise that night and we tied up a few "Female" Trikes. If I remember right it was the 4-turns of white thread that was the big difference. The wonder of wonders is it worked. We were blessed with the third day of a super hatch, bugs everywhere on the water, and there I was standing in the river holding onto my rod because a Rainbow was trying to take it away from me. And, I was hollering "THANK YOU, DAVE - FISH ON.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2020, 12:23 am 
FFIMer

I do fish trikes and (on rare occasion) have had good success. In general, it is a very humbling experience.