[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FFIM • View topic - Too many boxes. With my vest on I look like the Michelin Man

FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 6th, 2020, 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 20th, 2020, 11:23 am 
FFIM-aholic

Ok, I've been swearing I was going to do this for a couple of years - or more. I'm going to cut back to 3 fly boxes.

This is going to be a herculean task - I now carry 7, plus a couple of small boxes of new ties I want to try and an almost full fly patch. I have to ask myself do I need 4 each of sizes 12, 14 & 16 Henryville Specials? I thought I did at one time. One for me, one for the person I'm with, who might not have one, one for break-offs and well, a spare.

And do I need 10 CDC, Mahogany Biot bodied, Compara-dun Spinners - ranging size 12 - 20. Huh, maybe I do need those :lol: but you get the idea. This is going to be hard.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2020, 11:50 am 
FFIM Addict

Let us know how you do. I tried.....and couldn’t do it.

I DID, however, take out the flies that I’ve carried around for the last twenty years, and have never tied to a tippet. I was carrying around a couple of very specific flies for a particular pond in the western mountains.......and I hadn’t fished that particular pond in 25 years.
Dave M

PostPosted: March 20th, 2020, 1:08 pm 
FFIMer

One approach might be to change your vest. I’m trying it this year with a chest pack arrangement that will limit the number of fly boxes I can carry. Unlike Mike, my boxes are pretty chaotic. They START the season in a generally organized way but pretty soon get out of control and become: “Flies I use all the time”, “Flies I should be using if I was smart”, and then finally, “Flies I bought over the past 25 years that still look good and I might need”. Figure about two boxes of each category.

So I’m going to try the chest pack. I can comfortably hold at least 4 slim boxes and there’s a zippered back component that hold my net and could also handle another box or two. What it does well is to remove the bulk around my elbows and waist so that I’m not resting my arms at 45 degrees on the sides of my loaded vest. We’ll see.

Attachments:
7EE20ECB-AF93-4718-9C58-61B8987B354B.jpeg
7EE20ECB-AF93-4718-9C58-61B8987B354B.jpeg [ 353.42 KiB | Viewed 561 times ]

PostPosted: March 20th, 2020, 1:41 pm 
FFIM-aholic

I've been down the chest pack, sling pack, fanny pack, no pack or vest just what you can fit in your pockets and waders routes - always came back to the vest. I'm glad I have a spare because Orvis doesn't make my vest any longer.

I'd hate to have to relearn where my nippers, forceps, sunscreen, Gink, Zink, compass, leaders, drinking cup, Chamois cloth, Tippet spools, split-shot, flashlight, bobbers (oops indicators) hook sharpener, mono-master (which everyone should use) First-Aid kit, garbage bag (for picking up other peoples stuff and keeping gear dry), toilet paper, camera, binoculars, thermometer, lunch and rain jacket go.

Na, even with no fly boxes a pack won't do. :?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2020, 1:45 pm 
FFIMer

OK, I see your point. I think what you really need is a Sherpa. One that will learn to stay out of your back cast. :lol:

PostPosted: March 20th, 2020, 5:41 pm 
FFIM Addict

Tin.......

I went the route you’re taking. For a couple of years it worked ok. Then for three days in a row i was out in the middle of the k. When i left the vehicle the sky was clear’ but after a couple of hours the clouds rolled in; the sky opened up, and not only was i soaked to the skin......standing in cold water i started to get hypothermic. My teeth were chattering.

With the chest pack there was no place for a lightweight, packable gore Tex rain jacket. I finally said #### this! I went to a vest pack/chest pack that had a place for that jacket.

Dave M

PostPosted: March 20th, 2020, 6:09 pm 
FFIMer

Yeah, I can see how that would happen. It doesn’t really show up very well, but the back side of the chest pack has a zippered compartment that will take my lightweight rain jacket. The separate piece in the picture has a bunch of storage as well, including a water bottle holder, and clips onto the back of the chest pack harness. So I will remember your story and pack my packable jacket. I appreciate you’ve gone before me, but sometimes you (I) have to learn the hard way.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2020, 8:32 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Tinsnip, I was happy for you when I saw the backpack attachment. That will be a lot of help. Another thing I thought was a good idea is what looked like a holster for your net. That should keep it from swinging around and hanging in front of every other time you bend over.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2020, 6:28 am 
FFIMer

I think I posted this before on a similarly geared thread.
Use different types of vests/pack/ pockets or jackets for the task.
Almost everything else we do we use the correct tools so why not for fishing
Look at what your day normally is fishing then take into account the times like Dave mentioned..
While some can’t afford multiple setups if you can, why not?
I have a vest, backpack, waist pack and a couple of chest packs. Mostly because I have also tried all the fads of how to carry flies. All of them work if you don’t expect them to perform exactly the same cause they can’t.
Tomorrow you are unlikely to need any dry flies. In June you may not want any streamers.
I use a big gear bag to get my stuff to the stream and load what I want for the day.
But be honest unless you have been on a hike following Foley most of your stuff is in the car/camp a short distance away.

This week we will fish from camp walking around the streams at the worst it’s 15 minutes from the camp if I suddenly need a dry fly. I see people that take that much time to tie on a fly.

Out west hiking into second meadow or biking in to locations in western Maine we carry backpacks and minimize the extra, but do have most if not all the things Mike mentioned. But we are not going to need everything for flies because of the water conditions, hatches or preference in how we want to fish.
Most of us know where we fish well enough to be confident in what should work and if pushed can pick a couple of flies to use on that specific water in our chosen location and catch fish.

It works for me and I get to spend the off time planning how to set up for different days or locations. Makes the winter more enjoyable.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2020, 12:04 pm 
FFIM-aholic

This is a big job. Don't know if I'll be down to 3 boxes in the end but I do know I don't need over 20 Muddlers (different styles, bullet-heads, cone-head, regular heads...) in my streamer box.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2020, 12:17 pm 
FFIM Addict

Maybe not, Mike, but- you probably need a couple in your river/stream streamer box, and the rest would go well in a pond / lake box for dredging the depths. I'll admit, though, that the muddle isn't a fly I fish all that often (other than for carp). And then there is the question for the river/stream box- is it a wading box, or one for a (drift) boat?

Parker is spot on (per usual). If we can afford it- why not have different setups for different styles of fishing?

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2020, 2:37 pm 
FFIMer

I find myself envious of your swag. And it’s hard to argue with your logic of carrying 4 of each. I think it’s pretty clear at this point that you’re a belt AND suspenders kind of guy. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

But maybe there’s another approach. Make a game of it. Every time you head out to fish, limit yourself to 3 boxes. Using your experience and history, take only the two boxes of flies you think will work based on time of year, water temps and levels, insect activity and hatch schedule, etc. The third box is always the same, it has buggers and hoppers and streamers and muddlers. The stuff that you try when nothing else works. At the end of the season you refine the boxes based on how good you were at predicting.

Of course you can always make sure the rest of the fly boxes are in your truck, just in case. :D

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2020, 5:25 pm 
FFIMer

I feel your pain in looking at your flies all spread out Mike. Every year I am faced with a whole bunch of flies I tied over the winter that now are crying out to be incorporated into already overflowing boxes. The ones I plan to experiment with can stay in little boxes that will fit in a pocket somewhere but others force me to reexamine whats in a box and pull out the ones I probably don't need to put in ones I will fish. Decisions, decisions! It's a job I dislike but it needs to be done, and done soon! I use a vest for wading and chest packs for boating. When going somewhere I frequent I will usually have a box made up specifically for that locale and then my standard load. A lot of boxes stay in the truck for back up as well. I guess everyone arrives at their own routine eventually. Stay safe and healthy everyone!

PostPosted: March 24th, 2020, 10:45 am 
FFIM-aholic

Well, I got it down to four.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2020, 10:56 am 
FFIM-aholic

I didn't find multiple packs an answer. I always forgot something that wasn't in the pack all the time. Things like cameras, binoculars, my FLASK, compass (I hike to a lot of water). I didn't care for having to replenish consumables in multiple packs. Things like toilet paper, insect repellent, Sunscreen, first-aid kit.

Na, Tinsnip got it right. I'm decidedly a belt and suspenders type and don't mind the extra weight. I can grab my vest and do OK on any type of water Maine has to offer - short of salt - and I could get by pretty well in the salt if I had to.

Now fly rods - that's a horse of a different color. You need lots of those, one for every situation, even if you can "get by" with one.