FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 6th, 2020, 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On another note....
PostPosted: March 17th, 2020, 6:36 pm 
FFIMer

Drinking green beer (at home, the wife insists on the food coloring) and listening to The Fitzgeralds at the table where I (attempt) to tie. Corned beef and cabbage on the stove.

A few months ago when I began tying, I set a goal for myself to tie two flies that I really wanted to fish. I have labored over the two and had many a frustrating time. The first was the RS2 tied on an 18 (not really that small apparently) and the second was the SASH that Mike Holt suggests along with the dubbing he makes from tricolor Antron.

So yeah, the stooopid microfibbets were giving me heartburn. Until I watched a video of someone tying a completely different pattern using them and leaving the tag end of the first thread wrap long and up on top of the hook. Bingo. I finally made one using that tip that I would fish. Unfortunately I crowded the eye. Still, it was a huge moment.

As for the SASH, that’s not a very difficult tie but I was still finding my way with the hackle part. After ordering and receiving a Partridge skin, I was able to finally get one of those to work as well. In fact I have several that are going in my box and will fish.

I’m sure all of this sounds pretty lame to you guys but I have to tell you that I’m encouraged and energized by these small successes.

Thanks for letting me ramble.
Tim

Post subject: Re: On another note....
PostPosted: March 17th, 2020, 8:53 pm 
FFIM Addict

Small successes will equal a huge victory when you catch that first trout on your own tied fly. I haven't met anyone that was born with a bobbin in their hand. We all were beginners and plenty of us are still learning.

Ron

Sir John Buchan