[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FFIM • View topic - Social Distancing........

FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 6th, 2020, 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 12:08 pm 
FFIM Addict

All.......

All joking aside about this ####### Coronavirus; because it sure as hell isnt a laughing matter. We’re getting hourly updates about schools closing all over Maine, and the country, apparently.

Being somewhat anti-social anyway.......so-called “ social distancing” won’t be a problem for me.

I was doing my part this morning by heading to the tying room to finish up a bunch of Spent Spinners for my summer Western Trip.......still on as I write, and hopefully this crap will be over in four months.

There are flies that I’d never head to a river without. In Maine, that fly for me is a Sparkle Dun, in sizes 12 to 24. The colors and sizes obviously change, but I’m never without that fly here.

Out West, it’s a bit different. On the Paradise Valley Spring Creeks ( all three) it’s Spent Spinners. #20 Rusty Biot Spinners ( what I was tying this morning); and #24 Sulphur Spinners. Those flies are money on the Creeks.......just like Sparkle Duns are money here in Maine.

Stay safe, and, if possible, stay the hell away from people for the next three weeks. Keep,those tying vises hot.

Dave M

PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 2:24 pm 
FFIM Addict

This social distancing thing is freeing up weekends, so the positive from all of this for me is that the yard is coming together early. The flower beds are showing signs of life- with many of the lilies and irises already a few inches above ground (albeit- we’re on the coast and ahead of those inland). Heck, I am even thinking about putting the dock in soon in preparation for the early striper migration. Early season brook fishing might be pretty good this year, too. Things are looking up.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 2:51 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Sugarloaf and Sunday River are closing at the end of the day..... I just picked my son up from school yesterday- he was planning to remotely learn and turn for the rest of season. That's not happening... So he's going surfing instead.

Who is up for a Pulaski camping trip?

PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 3:40 pm 
FFIMer

As fly fishermen and women I think we have a good amount of practice with social distancing. The good news is that we can still do what we enjoy without much change. Meet a buddy at the river and wade out to fish at a respectable distance. Pretty much what I’ve always done. Plus, it gives me a good excuse to avoid canoe fishing. :D

It feels like we’re waiting for the other shoe to drop. Lots of dire warnings. Since many of my friends are aged into the vulnerable group, I plan to stay hunkered down so that I avoid being a dirty link in the chain. If it means staying home I’m fine with that.

Stay healthy!
Tim

PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 3:41 pm 
FFIM Addict

Titleguy...you read my mind. On the ride home today from a work weekend, I left a one word voicemail for Gussa...."Stealhead"...he called in 5 minutes. Then, at 2:31 pm today, my school surrendered to the flood of weight of panic and cancelled school for the next 2 weeks. We will not even be allowed into the building. WE are going to use online schooling for the few kids who will attend, but only an hour or so per day...

This, of course, just killed JUNE. We will now end school on the last friday of June...so, knock yourselves out at GLS because I will not be there. That said...there IS fishing to be had RIGHT NOW for Pike...and I will do my best wednesday to pound as many as I can in the afternoon.

Will let you know.

Hutch

PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 4:48 pm 
FFIM Addict

I'm planning on some social distancing for a couple of days myself. Right now leaning towards letting a river wash away my worries and stresses. And anymore it doesn't even matter whether I feel the tug or not. Damn I must be getting old.

Ron

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 4:53 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

I did some social distancing on the Pere Marquette this morning. Unfortunately, someone told the steelhead to do the same thing. We had some rain and warm weather so the water was up and friggin colder than it was two weeks ago. Next up some social distancing in the truck for the 13.5 hour drive back to Rangeley. Hoping they don’t close the border as the drive turns into 17 hours!

PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 4:56 pm 
FFIMer

I believe that waders will protect you from the "Virus". So, the best thing to do is to spend more time in waders. Water washes the virus away, so wearing the waders in a river is better than sitting around your house in rubber pants

PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 9:09 pm 

I've never fished Pulaski, but from what I hear and the photos I see, you might have trouble getting the 6' of separation required for social distance.

On the other hand, for the pike on a certain spring-creek-like Central Maine stream (only you old farts will get that reference :D ), you should have plenty of space.

Very worried about my in-laws and my mother. A kid in my mother's neighborhood apparently has tested positive. And my father-in-law is still a practicing minister and he and his wife are both still out in groups a lot.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 10:55 pm 
FFIMer

I think the spring creek like reference is from an article written by K A but I may be wrong. ( I'm not that old at 48 ) As far as social distancing? pond fishing in a canoe and small brooks may be the way to do it this year. many of us fly fish for the peace and quiet anyway so what a perfect opportunity to continue to practice!

PostPosted: March 16th, 2020, 9:32 am 
FFIM-aholic

We are now implementing our re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic coiv-19 procedure. I may have plenty of time to fish and tie flies soon...

PostPosted: March 16th, 2020, 9:35 am 
FFIM Addict

PostPosted: March 16th, 2020, 11:24 am 
FFIM-aholic

If the campground is open at the Farmington, I'm heading out. :lol:

PostPosted: March 16th, 2020, 12:42 pm 
FFIM Addict

As of 9am today at school we were told to leave-and NOT come back under any reasoning until the 30th...with possible (probable) extension.So, following the leadership above me, I am going to socially distance myself from Central Maine by way of Downeast Maine. Have packed, and am waiting for Gussa to get out of work- flies will be tied, and a range will be placed in the new spot...possibly I may be forced to breech the emergency Pinicle.

I do this all for YOUR safety, and selflessly distance myself from all of you.

Hutch

PostPosted: March 16th, 2020, 8:00 pm 
FFIM Addict

44BA7B8C-9E3E-443F-8CA2-2130C34DDB05.png
44BA7B8C-9E3E-443F-8CA2-2130C34DDB05.png [ 4.23 MiB | Viewed 357 times ]

Sir John Buchan