[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FFIM • View topic - Fight back the panic! Fun times

FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 2nd, 2020, 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 14th, 2020, 7:50 am 
FFIMer

With the current panic that is forcing more people to "hunker down", let's have some fun.

What one rod would you keep if you had to eliminate all but one. Not rods that you used to own, out of your current collection.

I would keep my 9' 4 wt Scott A4 w/Islander reel.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2020, 8:02 am 
FFIM Addict

My 8’ six weight Cecil Pierce bamboo based on a Garrison 212-E taper; paired with a Hardy Princess reel. Definitely not the best all around choice, as I don’t throw Streamers with it........but for sentimental reasons as Cecil was a friend of mine.

This is a difficult question as most of my many Rod/reel combinations serve specific purposes. Let’s hope this Covid-19 blows over fairly quickly and we can get back to our normal routines.

All my teacher friends are getting almost hourly updates this weekend as to whether there’s school next week, or for the next two weeks to a month. Scary stuff.

Dave M

PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 10:28 am 
FFIMer

If I had to divest
all but the one best
it would tear such a hole
in my soul
that I would no longer wish
to fish

PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 3:33 pm 
FFIM Addict

This was EASY...I would bleed for the loss of many, but I would keep without question my 8014G DVB/KS Twin bamboo rod. I am not saying that I would want to lose the others, but this rod I would fight for- even as weak as I am. (but, I am a very good shot!!)

There are NO reels I would fight for...and probably not shotguns...but I'd fight for the old dog.--- the pup has not yet taken my soul.

I bet I have 8-10 rods I wouldn't even know I miss....

Hutch

PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 6:01 pm 
FFIMer

When I was a young man, it was always the arty types I went for. They seemed so exotic and well, dirty. Some of them in fact were well used and clearly experienced. Which only served to make me more passionate. It was like an addiction. But then there was this one. Older, with a foreign sounding name, she seduced me and I was hooked. Until, after years of intensity, she was stolen from me by another. I was heartbroken and vowed I would never again waste my fortune on an exotic creature such as she had been.

And so it came to pass that I chose a much more serviceable and practical companion. One with a name I could pronounce. I was paired with her by a wizard in Fairfield who could be seen poling his boat near the Shawmut magic rock. And she was “Zero Gravity”. We spent the longest time of any together, until just recently when I strayed—out of boredom more than anything. And now I feel guilty and slightly depraved. My new love is Helios and she is fearless. There is nothing romantic about her. Efficient, and almost absent in the hand, she knows what to do before me. It’s not love, it’s an arrangement. Probably for the best. I’m not sure I could keep up with those arty ones now.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2020, 11:20 pm 
FFIMer

9 foot 6 weight. gray ghost from beans. big enough to handle smaller salt water fish. still works great for freshwater fish. can do it all except the really big boys

PostPosted: March 16th, 2020, 8:13 am 

I need 2 rods, both 5 weights.

Sage XP, 9' 5 weight, 4 piece. This is the do everything trout rod. Short enough for hike-ins and airplanes when broken down.

DVB Harms Convex 8' 5 weight. When style matters, and I want those effortless casts. Nothing better for relaxed rising trout on a pond.

As for reels, my Able TR2 (an old one), that I like so much I just bought a second one on E-bay (for under $150!).

PostPosted: March 18th, 2020, 6:53 am 
FFIMer

I struggled with my choice also.
I really like my Grandfather's bamboo rod as well as I liked my fiberglass rods of recent years.

My Scott is a utility rod. Can cast (even with my poor technique and bad habits) drys and small streamers.
Pretty? Nope. Workhorse. Yep.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2020, 9:52 am 
FFIMer

I also need two rods.. I'd keep the bamboo I built. 8' 5wt Payne 102, although I need to fix it as I popped two glue lines last fall. Should be an easy fix once I get to it. I fished this rod exclusively last season for everything from early season nymphing, to dries and late season streamers. It really excels as an all purpose trout rod.

The other is my Sage 9' 9wt Motive.. I really love this thing for stripers. Gobs of power to throw a 490 grain T14 shooting head 100 feet with plenty of flex and feel to enjoy playing the smaller schoolies that are all over the place.

Peter

PostPosted: March 18th, 2020, 10:12 am 
FFIM-aholic

Tough choice...I just bought an early 90s Scott G 9' 5 wt. and a "vintage" Ross Gunnison to go on it- haven't fished it yet, but I think that would be my all around.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2020, 10:41 am 
FFIMer

Two also:
For sentimental reasons, my Sage RPLX 3 piece 8-weight. Have had it for a long time.
For functional reasons, probably my Sage One 5-weight. Great all-rounder.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2020, 7:10 pm 
Wanna-be Maineiac

Is a Zebco 202 a rod or pole?

PostPosted: March 18th, 2020, 8:22 pm 
FFIM Addict

A reel Kiddo.

Sir John Buchan

PostPosted: March 19th, 2020, 9:13 am 
FFIMer

Hey Mon I need three rods!! 9 ft 8w Orvis midflex for all the stuff you chase with that, 9ft 5w Orvis midflex for all the stuff you chase with that and a 6'6" 5w Orvis Superfine in cane for small streams. I have an old Orvis 8 ft 6w in graphite that might be a good all rounder if you forced me to take just one rod. Be tough to use it on the flats though.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2020, 7:30 pm 
FFIMer

My Cortland fiberglass 5-6-7wt that I started with in 1971. Had a Pflueger reel with a drag that didn't work, and there was no backing on it either.
My how things have changed, but yet stayed the same. The same chill runs up me when I get a rise on a Paradun or PMD emerger as did on a Hornberg or Parmachinni Bell. Still have the rig hanging in the garage.
Other than that it, it would be my Orvis 7' 4wt older version Trout Bum. Nice Soda Butte and Slough Creek rod, as well as the small unknown water in Palermo that
that K Allen use to write about. Don't use it, or any others enough......
Gussa