[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FFIM • View topic - Line cleaning time

FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently April 6th, 2020, 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Line cleaning time
PostPosted: March 4th, 2020, 12:41 pm 
FFIM Addict

All......

I don’t ever re-organize my pack/vest as I’d then never be able to find anything.

But it is time to get off my ### and get out the Agent X and clean and condition all my fly lines. That does take a bit of time because the lines are on.....I. think..,,,,eight different reels, and I clean each line at the very least three different times to really get the job done. Flies for this season are all tied; so line cleaning now becomes priority one. I just have to get the motivation to actually do it, as this job is not nearly as much fun as tying flies. I just tied up a bunch of bead head rubber legged articulated Stone Nymphs yesterday. No idea if they’ll
Work any better than my usual Kaufman Stone nymphs, but they look cool to me. Of course..... only the trout and landlocks opinion really matters in that regard.

Dave M

Post subject: Re: Line cleaning time
PostPosted: March 6th, 2020, 11:22 am 
FFIM Addict

All my three weight and four weight lines are cleaned ( Orvis Zip Juice) and conditioned ( Rio Agent X); with one five weight done. I still have two other five weights to do, and my 6 wt. DT Cortand Peach 444 that I use on my bamboo.

After that’s done I need to start cutting off all of last years leaders; and blind Splice all new hand tied leaders on those reels.......then it’s a waiting game until the flood waters recede, the temps warm up over 50*; and the Mayflies start hatching.

My front lawn cleared of snow and ice with the warm temps and wind this week, so things are looking good.......pending our usual St. Paddy’s day blizzard.

Tackle maintenance probably isn’t as much fun as tying flies, but it does start to get one into the mood for Spring Fishing.

Dave M

PS: Don’t you just love auto correct? “Cortland” autocorrected to Cartland; and Dave M became Dave Makes. Geesus Keyrist.....:-(

PostPosted: March 6th, 2020, 12:02 pm 
FFIM Addict

PostPosted: March 6th, 2020, 6:52 pm 
FFIM-aholic

Hunter, if you’re short on work and still have some Bar and Chain oil left, I have a 80’ spruce down behind the camp... you got a boat yet? If not, I’ll pick you up.

"Fishermen...spending their lives in the fields and woods...are often in a more favorable mood for observing her, in the intervals of their pursuits, than philosophers or poets even, who approach her with expectation." - Thoreau

PostPosted: March 6th, 2020, 11:13 pm 
FFIM Addict

I’ve always got a few unopened jugs of bar and chain oil kicking around. And while I test drove the boat, I haven’t picked it up yet. Still pondering that one. Anyway- come find me and we’ll get your tree backed up.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2020, 7:51 am 
FFIM Addict

Well.......

Lines are all cleaned and conditioned, as of yesterday. This weeks job will be cutting off all of last years leaders and installing new hand tied ones Whitlock blind-spliced to the lines.

I was thinking yesterday that when I had only one five weight floating line it was pretty easy to tell what line I had. Now that I have eight different 4 and 5 weight lines on eight different reels it can be almost impossible. I use the Lefty Kreh method of how to mark the different lines. Using a permanent Sharpie.......black......I make the number of small black lines to indicate the weight of the line......e.g. four small lines on my four weights. Lefty used a large line to indicate his five weights, and small lines after that to indicate a six or seven. I just use five small lines on my five weights and leave it at that. It does make it easy to tell which line, and reel, I need for each rod, simple, and effective.

Dave M

PostPosted: March 9th, 2020, 3:48 pm 
FFIMer

I did this a couple weeks ago, too! Plus cleaned the cork handles (toothpaste and a an old toothbrush) and wiped down the rods. Will be in AR in about 4 weeks (not doing Tucson this year) to ride MTB and fish. Then the annual spring guy's trip to the Green in May for 5 days. But locally, got out Fri and Sat taking browns and rainbows on dries. Hatch was best on Fri afternoon. :D Wed thru Sat are shaping up to be powder days so might start to see the BWO's also. It's that time. Gotta love CO in March 8)