FFIM

FFIM is a non-profit organization devoted to promoting and preserving Maine's fisheries
It is currently February 18th, 2020, 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Good Read...
PostPosted: January 31st, 2020, 4:55 pm 

I just wrapped up an excellent book, "Stronghold", about Guido Rahr's single handed battle to save the salmon of the Pacific Rim along with some Taimen thrown in for good measure. It's a fascinating account that takes you through this unlikely hero's childhood on the Deschutes River to his conservation efforts in the Russian Far East. Along the way he recruits moguls from Silicon Valley to Russia's most powerful oligarchs. One interesting feature of the book is that it's acclaimed author, Tucker Malarkey, just happens to be Guido's cousin, so she really has a front row view of Guido's life & work. Another thing I really enjoyed was that there was so much in it I could relate to on so many different levels - as I sat there reading and nursing my sprained wrist, Malarkey was telling of her trip down the Tugur River in Siberia with a severely sprained wrist and having to get everyone on the crew to lace her boots & zip her up - the book was just published last summer, so it contains references to events that are very relevant today, such as the Ukraine/Russia conflict, the Pebble Mine & other things going on in Russia that have effected my family directly - all that plus the fishing and conservation part of it - Malarkey isn't a hardcore fisher person, and it shows at times, but she is a very skilled writer - I highly recommend this one! Cheers!